“Positive opinion but also something negative” 3 of 5 stars

Abigails Hostel
7/9 Aston Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland (Temple Bar)   |
Ranked #12 of 89 Specialty lodging in Dublin
Modena, Italy
“Positive opinion but also something negative”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Nice place, in the very centre of Dublin, at a good price, without locker in dorm, but near the reception are available personal lockers for few euros, or a collective locked room. A big kitchen and a large hub. But the room wasn't the cleanest I ever found....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was the first hostel I stayed in in Ireland so I wasnt too sure what to expect. It was a fairly basic hostel. I stayed in a 12 person dorm. It had two shower rooms and two bathrooms. The room itself was very large, but the shower and bathroom were pretty small and hard to change in.

I stayed at Abigails for 2 weeks. The shower was not cleaned once in those two weeks. However the bathrooms were cleaned everyday. Defiantly a party hostel and very large. If youre looking for a smaller more intimate hostel this is not the place.

Having said that, it was situated perfectly, nice and close to everything and right on the river. This would be a good place to stay for a night or two but not long term.
The front desk was incredibly helpful which was a life saver and they were very quick to make recommendations for me.

Breakfast was nice, coffee, tea, orange Juice, 2 cold cereals, toast, yogurt and hard boiled eggs.

It was an average stay, but not sure if I'll return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Clifton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The only thing really going for Abigails is the price. The staff was so-so... some much more friendly than others. Kitchen was off limits past 9PM (which was VERY annoying - what if you wanted to microwave something to eat before bed?). Very loud and rowdy at night, and it got VERY hot in the rooms, but as soon as you opened the window you wouldn't be able to sleep due to the noise. Overall, a very average hostel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ghent, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I didn't actually stay in this hostel but I must share my frustrating complaint!

As the cancellation policy of the hostel I cancelled my booking 15 days prior to departure. I got a confirmation from the well known website (Booking.com) that my booking was cancelled free of charge. After all the hotel would only charge you for a late cancellation 2 days prior to departure.

Despite that they charged my credit card and when I contacted the hotel about this they didn't even respond!

I guess when you see the high review scores you would think that a hostel like this would take their responsibility but apparently they don't.

Wouldn't want to be the one staying here and getting some kind of trouble, the hostel policy regarding to correcting their own mistakes (or maybe fraud on purpose??) is simply awful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
A-Star-HostelsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at Abigails Hostel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hi Robby,

I hope by now you have received our email and know that we refunded your card last week.

When a booking is canceled with booking.com we normally receive a fax from them to cancel. Unfortunately on this occasion we didn't receive one, as happens very, very rarely. After this your card was charged as a no show. Upon seeing this incorrect charge you wrote us an email to notify us of this.

Unfortunately we have had a problem with our emails for the last few weeks whereby any emails being forwarded were not being sent. We had received your email and forwarded it to our General manager to refund the incorrect charge. Only last week did we discover the problem with our emails and discover the unsent emails. As soon as we saw your email, we immediately refunded the charge to your card.

I hope you can understand and appreciate that this was obviously a just very unfortunate succession of mishaps and that judging by our reviews and rating, this was clearly just an isolated and unfortunate incident.

We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused and would hope that you would stay with us if you visit Dublin in the future.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location of this hostel is excellent! An easy walk to tons of attractions and public transport.
I stayed in a private three-bed/bath for four days. The room was great with our own bathroom and shower. There was a bunk bed and a full size bed on the side. The bunks were comfy but the extra bed was pretty terrible (of course I called that bed, and boy did I regret it!)

The reception area and lounge are perfect for travelers. The staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgable and the lounge is big and open with plenty of seating, pay as you go computers, and private lockers.

Breakfast is included in the price and, after having been to many hostels, is a pretty great breakfast of toast, cereals, yogurt, coffee, tea, juice, boiled eggs, and fruit. Definitely a great start to each day.

I definitely recommend this hostel to travelers! Great location and perfect for what you are paying!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here for two nights over a weekend with my friend, in an 8 bed female dorm and was very impressed.

The location is brilliant, right next to the River Liffey and Temple Bar so you can walk everywhere and get home safely after a night out.

The room was nice and clean, as was the bed and linen. Bunk bed was comfy enough with its own light and plug socket. Having an en suite was good too.

Breakfast is a typical hostel breakfast - toast, hard boiled egg, cereal, juice, tinned fruit and yogurt, tea/coffee. I was perfectly happy with this!

Good points
- Location, location, location!
- Free breakfast was good
- Nice big communal area
- Clean, ensuite room

Bad points
- Lack of storage space in the room for bags, no locker

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
x
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place is perfectly situated for sightseeing, going out in the Temple Bar quarter etc. My room (including the bathroom!!!) was clean, the beds are reasonably comfortable. Staff was friendly & helpful. I appreciated the various possiblities of storing luggage. If budget travel is your thing (shared rooms) and you are prepared for the unknown (in my case, two guys snoring heavily) this place is an excellent option. Bring earplugs, the area is rather noisy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Abigails Hostel? Share your experiences!