“Delicious should be their name” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Blackboard Bistro

The Blackboard Bistro
4 Clare Street | The Basement, Dublin D2, Ireland (South City Centre)
353-1-6766839
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #78 of 1,891 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French, Irish
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: The Blackboard Bistro understands the simple art of Risotto and a starter of leek and bacon risotto with fresh oregano, lemon zest & creme fraiche proves this point beautifully with all the flavours balanced, expressive and just right. Everything else that comes from the kitchen is just as precise! Mc Kenna Guides - 100 best Irish Restaurants 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious should be their name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After 15 hours worth of traveling to Dublin, we checked into our hotel starving and was recommended The Blackboard Bistro.

We did the pre-selected menu. I got the squab and lentil appetizer, I've never had squab before but it was delicious! Tender, juicy and full of flavor.

For my main course, I got the pork belly with mashed potatoes and green beans that were tied together with a carrot strand. I didn't even need a knife, that's how fall apart delicious that piece of pork was. I'm not sure what the sauce was but it was delicious as well.

My friend got the duck breast/leg with white beans, most of my personal experience with duck has been in Chinese restaurants. The French way was amazing, the duck was tender and perfectly cooked.

For desert we got the bourbon and chocolate mouse with ice cream, it was light and wonderful.

We each got wine, but I'm not sure what wine we got. The selection was great.

All in all, on our first night in Dublin, we couldn't have been recommended a better restaurant. All of the food was delicious and the decor was adorable (I would love to get that cow painting for my kitchen). This is obviously a family owned restaurant, a wonderfully staffed family restaurant. If I ever make it back to Dublin, I hope they're still open and exactly the same.

Visited December 2013

London, United Kingdom
“A Great Franco-Italian Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I had prebooked the restaurant as part of our 2 night stay in Dublin. The bistro is a little off the beaten track and down some steps in the basement of the Georgian townhouse on Clare Street. But on a cold wet night there was a very warm and friendly welcome. My wife is a coeliac and requires a gluten free diet and the restaurant made sure they catered for her. Fresh home made g/f bread accompanied a starter of quail with puy lentils and a soup of roasted hazelnut and celeriac drizzled with truffle oil. Mains were slow cooked pork belly and a very tasty cod dish, all beautifully presented.
Jean the owner of the restaurant is a very friendly chap and made us feel very welcome. He even brought a special birthday dessert for my wife to round off a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Worth seeking out

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“A Jolly Christmas party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had our Christmas party here and really enjoyed it. We were a group of 26 4 more than the room could accomodate, but Declan made sure that we all fitted in. The food was lovely even if the portions did err a bit on the small side. but give the amount of us there was it was really very good. The decor in the restaurant was fab and it is a real hidden gem

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have heard mix reports about this restaurant over the years but my first visit was excellent. The host was great, low-key but quick with service and suggestions. It is a small place in a basement. It has a bistro vibe, casual, workman-like place, as opposed to romantic intimate night. Was there with a group of friends and it was perfect for this. I had a fish starter and Cod - excellent. Good choice of wines too and the price was good too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Ho hum”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We sat as a group. The starter was the quail. The morsel that was served was delicious. The general feeling was that there could have been more of it (a whole bird is small anyway without serving only a portion of it). The confit was dry and overdone. These opinions were shared by others. I have eaten confit elsewhere many times, including in France. This was the poorest that I have eaten. The menu that we were supplied with indicated the following cheeseboard: AOC French Cheese Platter: St Nectaire, Fourme D’ambert & Tomme de Savoie served with Honey, Walnut and Grapes. What was on offer on the night was Irish cheeses. The staff stated that they had switched to Irish due to their quality. Now I do not know why they print a menu with the french cheeses that was looking forward to, then suddenly switch to Irish ones (which have been around for some time). Portion too was 3 small pieces of triangular cheese spread size. I did not have the coffee, but a colleague described it as insipid. Perhaps the bistro cannot cope with large numbers, but at €45 a head plus service, I found the Christmas menu disappointing and would not recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere