“Biggest rose garden I've ever seen” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #144 of 259 Attractions in County Dublin
Type: Castles, Gardens, Cultural
Fredericksburg, Va
18 attraction reviews
“Biggest rose garden I've ever seen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Really, the rose garden is at least 4-5 acres, and is magnificent. Beautiful views overlooking the sea from the front of the house. We didn't tour the inside, just spent our time leisurely enjoying the gardens and grounds. There is a tea room on the premises. There is a car park when you first enter the property, but you can actually drive all the way down to the house.

Visited June 2014

22 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I've visited Ardgillan Castle grounds twice, once the garden and once the playground. The playground is a great spot for the kids! The garden is beautiful. Unfortunately the rosegarden didn't have a single rose and it was closed for some reason.

Kilwinning, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Ardgillan Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I was told about this castle the last time I went to Balbriggan but did not have time to go that day. I did go last Saturday, 24th May, it is a good walk from Balbriggan station - there are buses but they don't appear to be very frequent - I will say it was well worth the walk!

Michael, the tour guide, took me round the castle along with an American couple and their two children. He engaged with all of us during the tour and I for one certainly felt included, even though I was travelling on my own on this occasion. Michael was very knowledgable and informative and done his best to answer any questions we had. He also was very patient ensuring I got all the photographs I wanted. It costs €6.50 to do the tour but it was well worth the money.

I'd also recommend visiting the tea room, the food is absolutely delicious. I had a tuna, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and onion sandwich and also had the cheek to have one of the cupcakes after demolishing the sandwich.

The park is also very beautiful, unfortunately I did not get time to visit the rose garden but I absolutely intend to go back again.

Denver, Colorado
48 attraction reviews
“This is a beautiful stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Wow...totally surprised by this off the main road site so close to Dublin. Gardens are beautiful, history is so interesting and the tour is fun. Try and get David as your tour guide...the man is a wealth of information

Duleek, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
“Lovely grounds - probably even nicer in summer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We missed one of the signs on the way to Ardgillan so it might benefit from looking at the signage just before coming into Balbriggan (or maybe it was just us!). All the other signs were fine from the M1. We went in and parked in what seemed to be the only car park, even though it was sign posted for the playground. There was a great view even from the car park out over the sea. We followed the signposts for the castle, and got a bit of a surprise that it was a bit away, and even more so when we walked down and seen another car park right beside it. It would have been nice to be able to park down there as my husband has problems with his back and the walk back up the hill to the car park wasn't ideal. We went around to the tea rooms and had a scone (which was so tasty and fresh) and tea. It was a lovely day so we went to sit outside in the garden off the tea rooms. It was lovely and I'd say it would be even nicer in the summer when all the roses will be out. We went out the front then with a view over the sea. We were a bit disappointed as the "castle" itself wasn't as impressive as we were expecting - it was very grey, but it was still definitely worth a visit, just for the grounds alone. If you were to bring a picnic, you could spend a good few hours just exploring or playing, and enjoying the scenery.

Visited April 2014