“Room too warm, didn't sleep at all” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lough Eske, Donegal Town, Ireland   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Room too warm, didn't sleep at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

-Room so unbearably warm couldn’t sleep
-Room didn’t have advertised facilities

Hotel was lovely with spectacular sculptures in the grounds. Breakfast was amazing. Although when people asked how my stay was I had to tell them it was very unpleasant, but thought that those circumstances may have been a one-off experience. My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel one weekend in April 2014, and the room was so unbearably warm we could not sleep at all. The next day the reception staff had an electric fan brought up to the room. Still couldn’t sleep with the heat, and was abit uneasy sleeping with the window fully opened. I have lived in Ireland all my life, the temperature is not abnormal for me (and not exactly tropical!) I was also extremely annoyed to arrive at the room to find there was no bathtub. I had specifically asked the hotel about this before booking, as I had no bath in the house at the time as was looking forward to it. The hotel had moved our room after we had booked, which may have been because there was a large wedding party staying the same time as us, but I was very disappointed. The bathroom was adapted for disabled use with a high toilet and shower attachment, but I would expect a luxury five-star hotel to enhance the facilities to accommodate disabled use and not to reduce them if they plan to also let the room out to all customers. A romantic weekend ruined because lack of sleep had made us abit cranky. Dinner in restaurant was delicious, although abit pricey as you would expect. Spa was very relaxing, although the experience showers were not working. I am writing this review now because my aunt spent a weekend at the Lough Eske hotel in March 2015, and came home complaining about it. She says the room was unbearably warm and that she was uncomfortable during the whole stay. Previously I had it down as a bad experience, but it is no coincidence that a year apart I had relatives visit the hotel and complain about the same thing.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed for one night in May, this was booked as a present for my sister's birthday and we would normally visit Castle Leslie in Monaghan but decided to try somewhere different. The hotel has so much potential as the setting, grounds and main building are lovely. Unfortunately a lack of attention to detail, haphazard service, as well as general maintenance issues and poor cleanliness are letting it down. We are people who never, ever, complain and having travelled all over the world can put up with many things but there were so many issues during our stay that it really spoilt our short break and we would not return or recommend it to others. This is definitely not a 5 star hotel!

First impressions count and we didn't get off to a good start. Upon arrival we checked in and were shown to our room to find that it was a double, not the twin room I had requested. The concierge, who had shown us to our room, phoned reception to find out about availability for a twin room and after two phone calls took us down the corridor to another room, asking us to collect the key from reception later on. On further inspection we found that the room was a disabled access room, and although this didn't bother us, it would have been nice to have a bath. The main problem was that the temperature in the room was unbearably hot, despite it being a wet and cold day, the windows were open and an electric fan was running, but it was obvious there was a fault to the heating.

We returned to reception to collect our key. We never complain but the room was so hot that we explained about the heating issue and were told that they had little availability for a twin room and suggested using a rollaway bed! The receptionist said that I had booked through a third party, not directly with the hotel and had not requested a twin room. When I explained that I had, and had in fact booked in December the receptionist checked the computer to find that it said twin room on availability - surely if you are paying £200 plus for a room in a 5 star hotel it should be available!! The same level of service should also apply regardless of which company I had used to book the room. We returned with the concierge to collect our bags and on return to reception were told that a third room would be available in about 20 minutes. We went off to have coffee while we waited. To be honest I was surprised that at this stage we hadn't been offered this as a complimentary option while we waited!

We eventually made it to our room! The room was okay but details such as chipped lamp shades, several holes in one of the duvet covers and the stains of a spillage on the dressing table weren't what we are used to in a 5 star hotel. But after a long drive and various room issues we were just glad to finally get settled. However, we soon discovered that we had no towels in the bathroom - a phone call to reception, and a second phone call an hour later, finally brought us towels, but still no apology! Having towels I went to take shower before dinner to find a shampoo bottle lid and a dried up piece of soap, left from a previous guest I the shower - yuck! This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to wear flip flops in the shower of a 5 star hotel!

On the plus side the staff in the hotel were friendly and our meal in the bar was enjoyable despite being overpriced for basic bar food. Breakfast was fine, but a coffee that was ordered never arrived and the restaurant did smell quite greasy. The best thing about the stay was the singer/pianist performing in the Bar on Saturday night. We tried to stay upbeat, laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and enjoy ourselves but this was a very disappointing and overpriced stay, not the luxurious, relaxing break we were expecting. If you are used to really good 5 star hotels you will be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
SolisLoughEske, General Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear 712dawnb,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa and for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I'm genuinely disappointed to hear of the numerous issues you encountered during your stay - please accept my sincerest heartfelt apologies and be assured that these issues do not reflect our usual high standards. I will be following up with our team to establish why your room was booked incorrectly, the issues encountered with your room (which will be brought to senior management in the relevant departments) and the other predicaments you encountered.

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to the staff, I do hope you will reconsider and return to stay with us again sometime in the not too distant future. We look forward to welcoming you back and to giving you the true five star experience for which we are so well known and for which you deserve.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just love this hotel for Sunday lunch. Excellent value for money and the quality of the food served is first class. The staff are efficient, warm and friendly, making the whole experience special. A special word of thanks to Jimmy. Looking forward to returning soon.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Dear MaryQ,

Thank you for choosing Lough Eske Castle to dine for Sunday Lunch.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated and welcome, especially by Jimmy who I will pass your message on to.

We hope you come and visit us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed in a Garden Suite for 3 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Hotel is very beautiful and the facilities are excellent. The best thing about the hotel is the staff! They could not do enough for us and were the friendliest staff we have ever encountered in any of the hotels we have stayed in. They were there just when we needed them, but were never intrusive. Went out of their way to offer us advice on travelling around Donegal.

Room Tip: Book directly on hotel website, as they always offer the best deals.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear RayD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Lough Eske Castle recently especially on a special occasion such as your wedding anniversary.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much - especially with regard the level of professional and personal service you received.

I do hope you decided to visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle sometime very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Upon check in everything went smoothly and we were shown to our room which was beautiful. Our problems started when we arrived at the restaurant for the evening, which offered the worst service I have ever experienced! Waiters could not have been more attentive to the couples to either side of us, checking up on them every so often, but completely ignored our table. Our drinks sat empty for 40 minutes without anyone offering to get us another. It was only when we asked for the bill did they start paying any interest (probably looking a tip) Overall it definitely wasn't the service you would expect for a five star hotel. It was appalling and ruined our whole stay. However the ladies at breakfast the following morning were lovely and nothing could be faulted there.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Hayley1315,

I'm genuinely disappointed to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay - please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that these issues do not reflect our usual high standards. I will be following up with our team to establish why your dinning experience was unsatisfactory and why your drink refill was prolonged.

I do hope you will reconsider and return to stay with us again sometime in the not too distant future. We look forward to welcoming you back and to giving you the true five star experience for which we are so well known.

Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We had a three day break in this wonderfully understated, opulent hotel. From the moment we arrived until, all too soon, we had to leave, we really enjoyed the luxury, peace and tranquility of this secluded, 5 star, lakeshore, country castle hotel. Our room, overlooking the garden, was spacious and luxurious with plenty of room to stretch out and relax. Aside from the table and chairs there was an excellent desk where you could comfortably sit for hours writing, exploring the internet, emailing or whatever else might fill your time. The room also had a large and extremely comfortable couch not to mention the huge bed that felt as though you were sleeping on a cloud. As you would expect from 5 star accommodation, the bathroom left nothing to be desired and I especially enjoyed the rainshower. Choosing to avoid any of the strenuous activities of the spa and pool, we much preferred passing the time in front of crackling log fires, curled up in huge, comfortable couches in the lounge or library. The food was excellent and we enjoyed having all our meals served in our room. Room service was always polite, prompt and courteous. The grounds are spacious and perfect for a relaxing stroll should you feel compelled to take in the fresh country air. Undoubtedly the staff are the icing on the cake. Without exception they were always welcoming, friendly, helpful, polite and courteous.

If you are looking to get away to where you can totally destress in luxury and tranquilty knowing that your every need will be catered for by wonderfully attentive staff, this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear JJMeeker,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Lough Eske Castle recently.

Your kind compliments and warm feedback are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much - especially with regard to your room (sleeping on a cloud), your dining experience, the bathroom and most importantly the level of professional and personal service you received. from us.

I hope you come and visit us again soon and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the castle sometime very soon.

belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My daughter had stayed here a while ago and said if was beautiful, so being in the area we called in for tea and scones (and a look, of course!) This is a beautiful hotel with loads of rooms for teas and scones . It us beautifully kept and lots of history. The grounds are fantastic and is set in acres of woodland, perfect for walks before dinner. It is very well located for trips to Donegal town and county. Thoroughly recommend it.

Thanx for reading

Tony

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Tonyoneshed,

Thank you and your daughter for choosing to visit us at Lough Eske Castle recently.

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated, especially with regard to the grounds and
off course the delicious tea and scones.

We hope you come and see us again.

Seán Carney

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!