“Disappointed to say the least ...” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lough Eske, Donegal Town, Ireland   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disappointed to say the least ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Firstly the castles road directions from the town of Donegal are non existent after stopping and asking for directions we finally found the entrance, the drive up to the castle is lovely. We were greeted with a warm welcome from the doorman and directed to the over flow car park as a wedding was on and they were very busy we were told which is perfectly fine. Our check was pleasant enough but what bothered me was how cold the hallways are on the way to our room not to mention the odd layout. We were told that you need to cross a court yard to get to the spa !! So in the rain or bad weather you are expected to go outside for spa treatments or a swim I'm not impressed with that at all and the spa treatments is totally over priced. Our room is a lovely size but cold, the bathroom is also a good size and well fitted out however it was not cleaned properly I would say someone was sick in the toilet area as the floor was still marked with a spill of some description. Left over half eaten candy bags were left in the room from the previous guests so that was missed by house keeping. The water in the rooms are river rock a disgusting tasting cheap water not suited to a 5* hotel. The bar fridge was pathetic if you wanted a scotch or glass of wine in your room you need to get room service again not acceptable for a 5* hotel. The tv remote control didn't work unless you are two feet from the tv we called reception and got a rather irritated response finally someone came to the door but with an iron not a remote ... Eventually that got sorted. Casual dressed guests kids running a muck over priced drinks and then there was dinner, we waited 45 minutes for our starters I ordered the crab and avocado for my starter as I had seen other dinners crab dish so I was really looking forward to mine until it arrived obviously it was thrown together as id say they ran out of the prepared starters and it looked nothing like the guests beside us it was over salted and ruin the taste of the delicate crab meat my partners venison pie was tiny and over powered by the chutney. the palette cleanser was fabulous i have to say with popping dust added that extra surprise now our main coarse of a trio of steak came and it looked fabulous but failed to impress the fillet was under seasoned and tough the shoulder of beef was tasteless and totally stewed and the meat ball was so salty I could not eat it my partner finished my meal off as he was starving at this point. Our son eats really plain food so we ordered from the bar menu for him and I'd wish I'd done the same as how can you get a you get a char grilled burger wrong well you can but the fat triple cooked chips were delicious so we order more and got frozen chips instead one disaster after another we didn't even wait for dessert as we left the restaurant walked through a freezing hallway to go to the bar to ring in the new year. The bar man (tall with dark hair ) was excellent and the two boys singing saved what would have been a very disappointing evening. Breakfast was really good a nicely presented buffet and the live egg station was manned by a lovely chap but seriously they need to change the coffee it's not pleasant at all its weak and bitter. We left early to get home to warmth, peace and good food for a lot less than a €570 price tag for a 18 hrs stay. The hotel looks 5* but is ruined by wedding parties. We understand that weddings are a essential part of making money in these hard time especially for the service industry. So my advise is to avoid this hotel if there is a wedding on if you want good service and peace. It's a shame as its a lovely spot

Room Tip: Away from reception and wedding venue
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful Two night break in a Garden Suite! What can i say except WOW! - Every little detail has been catered for we even brought our little doggy! who had his own bed bowls and even a note from management! The room was just delightful finished to the highest standard with our own direct access to the outdoors, a roaring fire and underfloor heating. The staff here really go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and address you with your first name at all times (a lovely personal touch) on our first night we decided to relax and took advantage of room service. i was amazed when a golf buggy arrived at our door so promptly with really great hot food and the guy even set our table! the following morning we took advantage of breakfast in bed and again along came the golf buggy and as if by magic everything was set up for us to enjoy a relaxing breakfast in our robes and slippers! we enjoyed a fantastic meal in Ceadars restaurant on our second night and could not fault the food it was first glass along with the wine! service was first class. I cannot wait to return and if you havent been here yet what are you waiting for! Wonderful luxurios rooms superb staff and service and th most magnificent scenery and walks that Ireland has to offer!

Old Hickory, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place is fantastic. The statues in the front and in the gardens are beautiful.The gorgeous facade of the castle is amazing to see. The rooms are spectacular and very spacious, with views that are beautiful. The food was very good and plentiful. Overall, this is a wonderful place and I will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Garden views are gorgeous
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here in a Junior suite thanks to a Groupon deal. The hotel is beautiful, the staff so friendly and helpful. The room we had was clean, spacious, underfloor heating in the bathroom, nice bathroom amenities, seperate living area, 2 TVs, free wi fi and a big comfortable bed. Waiting in the room was a lovely birthday cake which was a lovely added touch! We had a beautiful meal in the restaurant, and they were very accommodating as I am vegetarian. The meal was pricey but it was worth it. The breakfast was good also, including fish, cereal, crepes, hot breakfast options, although would have been nice to have some vegetarian sausages! I also made use of the spa on this visit and had a luxury manicure which was amazing and worked wonders on my hands! I had a fantastic stay here, everyone was so friendly, felt like I had been going there for years! I would recommend this hotel to others and I will certainly return in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I first discovered Lough Eske last summer and have visited several times when home. Situated on the edge of Lough Eske, the drive to the hotel fills you with suspense as you meander down little country roads with the Lough in peripheral view.
As you come up the drive, you're greeted with the Castle front and its just the most stunning view before you enter.
What gets me every time in this hotel is the friendly service. The staff remember me every time I visit and that can be a rare quality in hospitality. You feel like you're home from home.
The food is consistently excellent and the cocktails some of the best I've had.
The hotel has lovely little drawing rooms for quiet retreat away from the bar and restaurant when it gets busy.
Additionally, the spa is fantastic and my treatments have always been superb and the staff really do take the best care of their guests. The only downside of the spa is the relaxation room which is too light and too noisy. I would suggest the hotel put in heavy blackout curtains as this could make a great experience even better.
The rooms are cosy and spacious but depending which room type you get, you could be away from the main hotel which is no issue until it rains....and that can happen a lot.
In conclusion though, the overall experience I have here makes me come back again and again and again. I'm already planning my next trip back!

• Stayed December 2012
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

About the 4th time to stay her as a couple for a relaxing break. The place is fatastic. The ultimate is uxury and relaxation. Rooms large,bathrooms huge with underfloor heading and separate bath & shower. Bar & lounge area great with open fires and smaller rooms as well as bar area. Staff the most helpful and professional i have ever witnessed. Some rooms are a bit of a trek from the main restaurant and bar area and having to go outside to get to the spa isn't ideal but it IS a castle so they've had to design around it. Food in restaurant is extremely high standard especially the breakfast. They have now added a fll cocktail menu and good bR food (not that you'll need anything between breakfast and dinner) Booked this time with a travelzoo deal and half expected a lesser room or service, nothing of the sort. All was brilliant. Wife already asking when we're coming back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a package we got through travelzoo. Wow! This place is a castle for sure. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. There is not a lot to do in this area of Ireland, but there is beautiful lake near by to enjoy. The bar area had the best Irish stew I had in Ireland. The rooms had American outlets which was a life saver. The staff wore cute wool outfits. The rooms were huge with king size beds. The bathrooms were large with marble finishes. The spa and workout area were both great. Although my favorite part of Ireland was the southwest (ring of Kerry area) this hotel is something you can't miss! Only thing better than this would be staying at the Ashton near Galway.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!