“Glad to advise on this fine Guesthouse, to assit other travellers.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ard na Breatha Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
You added Ard na Breatha Guesthouse to your Saves list
Ard na Breatha Guesthouse
Drumrooske, Donegal Town, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 38 Donegal Town B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Glad to advise on this fine Guesthouse, to assit other travellers.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff at Ard Na Breatha Guesthouse were very friendly indeed, most accommodating. Theresa was keen to assist myself and my family who stayed there from the moment we arrived (late on a Friday night) right up until we departed. Theresa made us feel welcome from the outset and was great with the young children in our party. She made available the Study room and it was excellent for us and certainly would be for any family or couple staying at the residence. The Study is beautiful and there are a number of different games and books for the children and local literature references and maps for the adults. To boot, there is a fine grand piano and an ornate Chess Board for the residents at the Guesthouse.
Ard Na Breatha is set in the hills of Donegal Town and is just slightly on the peripheral of the town centre, around 10 minutes walk only. The photographs do not quite do the grounds and its setting justice. I would describe it as a Country Manor or Small Country estate that manages to be both a homely Guesthouse for families and an attractive location for all others at the same time. The decor and the nature of building is very unique and the grounds are great for a ramble. My 6 Year old son loved to wake early in the morning and walk around the grounds for an explorative ramble.
The cooked Irish breakfasts are exactly how they should be and the fresh French Toast alternative is a fine cooked breakfast option too. In addition to the warn selection there is an array of fresh breads and nice fruits salads and cereals. Although we did not eat at the Restaurant we spoke with some of the guests who had and they were raving about it. We were aware that there are visitors who come up to the Guesthouse in the evening for the sole purpose of dining in the fine restaurant.
We were advised on recommended trips and excursions during our stay at Ard Na Breatha by the kind staff and they made us all feel entirely at home from the outset.
The only thing I intend to change on my next visit will be the length of my stay, to extend it beyond the long weekend. I would recommend Ard Na Breatha Guesthouse without reservation, we have certainly stayed in a number of holiday homes and hotels in the County over many years in the past and this stay was easily one of our most enjoyable, without a doubt.
The party that stayed with us spanned 3 generations of our family and everyone was very well catered for and well looked after throughout. My sister, who was not staying with us visited one evening and she too was accommodated for the night due the shortcomings of a neighbouring Guesthouse so this is an example of just how good the hospitality is there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
hamDonegal, Owner at Ard na Breatha Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for going to the trouble of writing a lovely review. It was my pleasure to meet all three generations of your Family and to welcome you all to Ard na Breatha. Im very glad you all enjoyed your break in Donegal and I do hope to have the pleasure of you staying again in the future, you would be most welcome . Kind regards Theresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bellinghham, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at Ard na Breatha and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are comfortable and the food and hospitality is top notch. We we traveling with 3 other couples and we all agreed it was one of our favorite B&B's. Theresa and her staff go above and beyond to make your stay special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hamDonegal, Owner at Ard na Breatha Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for posting your lovely review, it is really appreciated. It was our pleasure to meet you all and have you stay at Ard na Breatha for three nights. I hope you enjoyed your golfing, sight seeing and shopping in Donegal despite the rain showers that were quite frequent. I mailed your camera charger, hope it arrives safely. Kind regards Theresa
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

You will receive a great welcome of Irish Eyes and the smile as big as Ireland itself from Theresa the owner. Albert the co-owner and her husband is the Chef and a jolly good one at that. We booked in for one night and were not disappointed, neither with the accommodation nor more importantly the food, dinner and then breakfast on the morning we left. Mr had pan fried hake on bed of creamy leeks and a side of wonderful dauphinoise potatoes and roasted vegetables. I had the nicest chicken breast ever, organic free range chicken with roasted chicken gravy, couscous and same side order, all delicious and tasty and beautifully presented. Washed down with a lovely bottle of Marlborough Stonebury Pinot Noir. We retired to the little lounge and big open fire for coffee and night cap - all in all fabulous and would not hesitate to recommend this little gem of a guest house just outside Donegal Town. Be sure to book early though!! Thank you Theresa will be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hamDonegal, Owner at Ard na Breatha Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was our real pleasure to have you stay with us. We are blessed with lovely guests and it makes our job so easy. Albert was delighted that you enjoyed dinner and if you are in Donegal again you would be most welcome. Kindest Regards Theresa
Craigavon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife, daughter, our Bichon Frise (Jodie, 6 year old dog) and I arrived one hour early, which was not a problem. As we had booked in advance Teresa (the owner) knew she would have a small dog as a guest, as she advertised as pet friendly we were happy that this would be a perfect location for our two night visit to Donegal. How wrong it would prove to be. On our arrival we were informed that the restaurant was closed as Chef had booked a night off. Although disappointed we accepted this and went into Donegal town to spend our money on what turned out to be a very nice meal. We returned to Ard Na Breatha at approx 2000hrs. At 2100hrs we had a phone call to our room from Teresa complaining that our dog had barked. This is in fact true, as someone passed our room Jodie did bark for all of 15 seconds, as this is supposed to be a pet friendly location I would have though this would not have been unusual.
It was my wife that answered the phone and when the call from Teresa ended my wife was quite upset with the manner in which she was spoken to. After about 15minutes (think time) I phoned Teresa and told her we could not guarantee that Jodie would not bark again and that we would have to leave, as we did not feel welcome in her pet friendly accommodation
As I said Jodie is a 6-year-old dog and has her own passport and has been all over Europe with us, and this is the first time we have had any sort of complaint (very disappointing in your neighbouring country). I think Teresa needs to either advertise as PET FRIENDLY or NO PETS PLEASE
We left Ard Na Breatha at 2130hrs on a wet dark night to drive 30minutes to Jacksons Hotel in Ballybofey were we had stayed in the past and knew we would be welcomed with Jodie, and welcomed we were. Top marks to Jacksons and highly recommended.

Would I stay or recommend Ard Na Breatha …….NO
Would I stay or recommend Jacksons ……………YES YES YES

VERY DISAPPOINTING

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hamDonegal, Owner at Ard na Breatha Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Guest, As a pet friendly establishment for over ten years and never having encountered this problem before it was quite distressing for me that you decided to leave. The fact that the dog was barking whenever anyone moved outside the room or in the next bedrooms was most unusual therefore after a complaint had been made I simply rang your bedroom to enquire would the dog continue to bark throughout the night or would it perhaps settle down. I was surprised a short time later to be told that you decided to leave as you could not guarantee that the dog would not bark again. I asked to please reconsider and stay one night to see how things would go but that was not to be. As a Guesthouse owner and dog lover I have to be aware of every guests needs and therefore felt it was my duty to at least bring this to your attention. I am delighted however that Jacksons looked after you so well and that no guests complained there or perhaps the dog did settle down during the night. Kind regards Theresa
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this Guesthouse. We've travelled extensively throughout Ireland but this is one of the best places we've ever stayed. Georgina was a warm and friendly host who made us feel very welcome. The views are great from the dining room but you're only a short walk into Donegal town. The restaurant is a must with delicious food chosen from a lovely menu accompanied by great wine. Georgina was very knowledgeable on the Donegal area and recommended a wonderful drive up to Ardara advising us where to stop and what to see along the way. All in all, a wonderful Guesthouse, we'd certainly recommend it and we'll definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, It was indeed our pleasure to meet you both and thank you for your lovely review. It makes our job so easy when our guests are so nice. Im sure you were delighted with Mayo and their big won and so were we. Having won Georgina Campbell Guesthouse of the Year you will see the plaques on display at Ard na Breatha she is in fact a very important lady in the hospitality trade here and it was an honour to have won this award. Thank you again and i look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kindest Regards Theresa
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for making the last day of our holiday so wonderful. We weren't staying at the B&B but came for a meal on our last night in the area. Both the food and service were amazing, and my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it! It's absolutely fantastic value for money and in a really lovely spot. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hamDonegal, Owner at Ard na Breatha Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind comments. We we very happy to serve you Dinner and are always delighted when guests seek us out as that special place to come for Dinner. It was a pleasure to meet you both and would be delighted to welcome you back to Ard na Breatha another time. Kind regards Theresa
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our stay at Ard na Breatha began with a warm welcome by its charming, beautiful owner. It was a pleasure to relax by the fireplace on a rainy afternoon looking at the Donegal countryside, sipping a wee dram in the cozy living room. Our room was thoughtfully furnished and very comfortable. It was very nice not to have to find a place outside for dinner. Ard na Breatha's lovely restaurant, decorated in a rustic motif, is a good place for a fine, relaxed meal with gracious, excellent service. We highly recommend Ard na Breatha Guesthouse.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your very lovely comment. It was a real pleasure to meet you both. I wish I could have ordered lovely weather specially for you and all our lovely guests, but unfortunally that is not possible, however Im so glad you enjoyed sitting in at the fire and watching the misty rain with a little liquer to soften the day. Kind Regards Theresa

Been to Ard na Breatha Guesthouse? Share your experiences!