“Spring Break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Longford
“Spring Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Central with a group of 22 active age clients from our centre. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Food was excellent as was the service. Rooms were very clean and spacious. We were very well looked after. great value

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Central Hotel D, Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I remember your group very well and it was our pleasure to serve you. It is our goal here to deliver quality service, fine food and good value. We look forward to your company again soon.

Eamonn Gillespie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am a frequent user of trip advisor and have used it many times to vet hotels. I think it is important then for people to document less pleasurable experiences and unfortunately during my recent stay at the Central Hotel in Donegal Town my stay was far from pleasurable.

I was staying there on Saturday 13 April 2013 for a funeral in the town and was up early on the morning of the 14th to drive back to Dublin for another engagement. Upon arrival (on 12th April) we were advised by the staff that the hotel was full for the weekend. We were assigned room 128 that overlooked the Diamond in Donegal Town.

I was not too concerned with the noise of car traffic from the Diamond as I bring ear plugs just in case you get a hotel room overlooking a busy street. What I had not prepared for, nor could you, was that the room was directly over a bar “The Bank” which has live music on Saturday night. We were not told about this by the staff.

On our return to the hotel on Saturday night (@ 11 p.m.) it was clear that that the music from the bar was very very loud in the room. We settled into bed on the presumption that the music would finish up 30 mins before pub closing time of 12.30 p.m. It did not. The music continued into the small hours of the morning and kept me awake for most of the night. No ear plug could drown out this noise. There was little point complaining at that stage to reception staff as I had already been told the hotel was full. Very little sleep was had that night and after the band had finished I was so vexed that every little noise outside annoyed me.

If you are staying in this hotel, please ensure that you are not overlooking the Diamond and are not over any of the nearby bars.

To make matters just a little more unpalatable, when we complained about this the next morning, in the hope of maybe getting a discount from our bill (without asking for same directly) we were just given a very sarcastic “Sorry about that.” The receptionist didn’t even care and it was clear that this has been complained about many times before.

I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family.

Room Tip: Never accept a room overlooking the Diamond in Donegal Town and/or over a local bar.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is clean and central with views of the river from our room. It was good enough value at €80 for the night.
The "spa" is a joke, so don't expect anything and you might be satisfied. There is a tiny pool and it was full of kids taking a class when we were there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Central Hotel D, General Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is our goal to deliver friendly service and good value for money. Our pool is 13m. We do accommodate children's swimming classes and I do apologies they took the pool over during your time.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here over Easter and were not disappointed. Our bedroom was a good size with a large double and a single bed. Both very comfortable.It had a lovely bathroom with a powerful shower over the bath. And yes the TV did have a back on it but the programmes were exactly the same! I did think the carpet looked slightly worn however I noticed that the rooms along the corridor did have new carpet so perhaps they're being replaced in stages. We made use of the swimming pool which was very enjoyable and towels are supplied. We didnt eat in the hotel as we found offers in other restaurants. we would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to read you were impressed by our accommodation. Yes you are right continuous improvements in our accommodation department is on going. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Central very soon.

Cookstown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

me and my granny and granda went to this hotel it was clean and staff were friendly we got our dinner the steak was a bit hard but overall it was alright. i was happy with the holiday there was not many activites so there was nothing really for children to do but i would maybe go back overall it was a good easter holiday

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Than you very much for your kind review and I am delighted you enjoyed your Easter holidays with us.

Hope you can return soon again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I and my husband went for Easter with our kids.we liked the hotel it was very clean ,friendly staff overall Eveything was good.we could see the view frm our room to waterbus and garden.my children enjoyed a lot.it was good for money.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed the Easter holidays with your family. It is our goal here to deliver hospitality service, good housekeeping and fine food.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Irvinestown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night at easter and were both happy with the place. The rooms are a bit old fashioned and could do with being updated but it was clean and comfortable and for me that is the main thing. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful and also give you a ticket to park for free at the car park just along from hotel as it does not have its own one. Great location for the town, right in the middle of everything. Did not eat in the hotel as breakfast finished at 10 which i thought was quite early so we decided to wait for the lunch which was to start from 12 but we went at 12.15 and sat and waited because they were not ready and the woman was quite rude too so we just left. All in all good enough spot if you are just looking for a place to sleep for the night

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to summit your review. I am delighted you were happy with our facilities. Some of our rooms are certainly old fashioned however there is something charming in old fashioned. It is our continuous goal to improve standards in our accommodation department however this only happens when budgets permit. Thank you for your kind words with regards our Front Office Staff. I do apologise that you encountered an unfriendly member of the team while awaiting lunch service. I trust you will reconsider another visit to The Central.

Eamonn Gillespie

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!