“ruthandclive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
“ruthandclive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

After a very tiring journey, we reached our hotel and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Our room was spacious, and clean. The beds extremely comfortable. We had a lovely outlook over the small square. There was a good choice of meals and these were all very good. Pleasant bars to relax in, with entertainment some nights. There is also a leisure suite with swimming pool. If ever in Donegal I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This tourist trip via David Urquhart travel was a late selection to this area of Ireland as our original venue was cancelled. Despite this the hotel was a nice surprise in a busy location in Donegal town, facing on to a square which the Irish have called a diamond.... yeah!
If I could pass on advice to the owner, get an I.T. man in and pay for a proper survey as the hotel bears little resemblance to the two photos available on websites,as the frontage is no longer red and white and we all cannot afford the suite shown as a possibly a typical bedroom.
When you visit the official website you should be shown the three standards of bedrooms etc including services and the like which is not available at present on the websites in photos. This apart this hotel is a veritable tardis of little niches with tidy dining rooms,bars, restaurant,and a leisure suite with swimming pool etc.
Food was well served, varied, hot and tasty and came via a staff well versed in trying to assist wherever possible in that lovely Irish manner. Breakfasts were generally robust, a boon to the continental breakfast haters like us.
Our room looked into a backcourt , not to be recommended , but apart from the smokers at low level and their chattering,the room was a standard one, good size, reasonably modern decor,
clean,warm and en-suite. The corridors to these bedrooms became noisy at times in early morning with revellers trying to locate their rooms, worse for drink, but this is Ireland!
Value for money was good, the entertainment was a little bit naff although the time of year may have contributed to this. Would I visit again?----------- yes.

Room Tip: ask for a de-luxe room with a view of Donegal bay if you can afford it.
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Nice clean room,good location close to bus stop,fair price, good breakfast

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I found the hotel to be charming. Our room was clean and spacious,and we had a lovely view of the river. The meals we had at the hotel were all very good and the wait staff was efficent except when they were dealing with a coach tour, It seem that the rest of the hotel guests were left to wait until the staff had processed the tour group. Once I could understand but twice it was getting old but when we went to the bar for a drink and to listen to the entertainment one night we were never waited on and when my husband walked to the bar to place a order he was never acknowledged so we left after 45 minutes and spent our money elseware. Not sure if they suffering form staff shortage or not but it was dissappointing to say the least. If I ever return to County Donegal I will most like stay some where else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This was my first trip to Ireland and therefore my first stay at this hotel. At first sight the frontage is not a lot to commend it until you look around the Diamond where it is located and see that it fits right in with this town centre "square". Inside however it is stunningly good like a scaled down palace. The room my wife and I occupied was an extremely clean, comfortable and, from previous hotel experience, spacious. - Minor "fault" was the view looking over a roof with a hut, presumably housing a generator and not a view of the River Eske. Someone has to have these rooms on a coach trip and this time it was our turn. The food was first class and could not be faulted for quality or quantity. The Upper Deck bar was an enjoyable place to visit and my very minor moan is that they did not have my favourite non-alcoholic beer. ie Guinness's own Kaliber. The much vaunted Irish Hospitality stood the test here. I am registered disabled and unlike GNR_11 found the walks along the corridors very easy. If you want a Hilton don't go to Donegal. My wife and I will be returning to Donegal next year and this time we will be on our own as I want a longer stay in Ireland - this one was the Glasgow September holiday week-end. I will be very disappointed if for any reason I cannot stay at this first class hotel. I have stayed in similar type hotels, ie non Hilton, family friendly, places throughout the U.K. and in some parts of Europe but, with one possible exception several years ago in Torquay, England, ( obviously not Fawlty Towers!) there has been none better. I must also add that the Irish people we came into contact with outside the hotel were also very very friendly. The entertainment provided was on too late at night for my aging and weary bones but I gather from others on the tour that it was value for money. Off course there is no pleasing some people and I can be very fussy and vocal if I am not pleased or believe I am not receiving value for money. I am after all a Scot, but there was never any reason to show displeasure or complain about prices in this hotel.

Room Tip: I noticed that there are apparently 3 different types of room, not including at least one suite, so...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We spent 2 x nights at this superb hotel situated in the very heart of Donegal town! Lots to do and see!
Whilst there we had a bereavement!
The staff went beyond their call of duty to ensure that we had every help required! Making phone calls,printing route maps etc
Rooms with views overlooking the bay ,food and service excellent!
We will be back next year! Many thanks to staff for all your help!

• Stayed September 2011
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our party of 4 stayed for 2 days earlier in September and had a poor experience overall.
One of the 2 rooms allocated on the first floor was very cramped with a view of service pipes and noisy generators from the window.
Reluctantly accepted a different room on the 3rd floor which was considerably bigger although quite a distance from our family which included my elderly mother in-law.

This hotel is like a rabbit warren with long distances between elevators and some rooms particularly on the 3rd floor which has also been commented on by another reviewer.
There are flights of stairs everywhere which proved difficult at times for the older members of our party.
I saw one elderly guest with 2 walking sticks trying to negotiate a flight of approx 12 steep stairs which connect some of the rooms on the first floor.
We also had issues here with our suitcases arriving and leaving the hotel.

No assistance was offered to us with our bags on arrival which would have helped with the arduous journey to our rooms. A Hotel porter should have been offered by reception staff to help with luggage.

The hotel is maybe better suited to a younger clientelle where easy accessability is not such a priority. It is definately not suited for the older guest who may have walking issues and we witnessed a number of disgruntled guests in this category. It is not a safe environment in my opinion.

We looked forward to the "Slice of Ireland" concert on the Tuesday night which promised top entertainment and food.
The quality of entertainment was indeed excellent although the food was very disappointing.
There was no choice other than Irish Stew as a main course which was very fatty and inedable. The lofty description of the food on the advertising brochure is misleading and should be changed.
After initial reluctance by staff we were offered the Bar menu as an alternative. The Bar food was good and a €10 euro credit each was arranged towards the cost of this. We noticed some other guests with the Bar menu so we were not alone in our plight.

This hotel is obviously popular with some guests but for those of us with creaking bones I would recommend staying somewhere less strenuous and more accessable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!