“Had some problems -” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Had some problems -”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked with this hotel directly, last minute. We were a few hours away at the time when making the booking in the evening. We expected a bit better than we got as its a 4 star hotel and seemed to get generally good reviews. But there were a number of problems that I think the hotel needs to address. Sadly, its not a hotel that I would visit again because of the stay we had.

On arrival, the receptionist was pleasant and directed us to our room. Room service wasn't an option so she pointed us in the direction of some take-aways (no problem here, smaller hotels don't offer late service!). The room was cold as the radiator was not turned on fully and the TV didn't work. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she was very helpful and we were directed to another room. This room wasn't warm at all as the heat was off but we felt it was understandable as it wasn't booked. We turned on the heat and left for about an hour to get some food. On our return, the radiator wasn't even lukewarm. We called reception who said the heat wasn't turned off but he could 'boost it'. We just went to bed as it was late enough at this stage and used extra blankets just to keep warm. We didn't really feel the cold overnight. The room was very spacious and comfortable.

We seemed to be plagued with problems which was unfortunate as the hotel looked lovely and was very well decorated. In addition to the heating problem, not all the channels worked on the TV, the two taps in the bathroom were warm - there was no cold tap, and the shower wasn't very warm and kept changing temperature. For breakfast, there was no member of staff to direct us to a table or take our order (for tea/coffee) for sometime and the breakfast menu on our table was dirty as was the wall beside our table - looked like some spillage. I had the traditional Irish breakfast which wasn't that that nice.

The leisure facilities - pool, steam room and Jacuzzi were very nice but the room itself badly needed a paint. The paint was coming off the wall in blisters!

I met the same receptionist in the morning and explained some of our problems, to which she kindly dropped the price and explained the the heating would have been turned off for a period of time and she would get maintenance to the problems in the room.

Overall during my short stay the staff seemed very friendly and helpful but there were a number of issues that made our stay a little less enjoyable which is a shame. I'm a fussy traveler, ill admit, but for a 4 star hotel I would have expected it to be well maintained and these small problems shouldn't stack up to create a bit of a nightmare stay.

Room Tip: The two rooms I saw were spacious and nice so I suspect the majority are similar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Belfast County Borough, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here over new year. Was problem with booking but Tara got it sorted quickly. Booked superior room. When we arrived Tara gave us a free upgrade to a junior suite. It was the very last room at end of corridor. The room was very large too many windows and hard to heat. We felt cold as soon as we arrived and it remained the same for the duration of stay even though we complained several times. We could not believe it when at 5pm we went to have a shower and no hot water. We had to boil kettles to get a wash. We complained sent plumber but next day no different and the next day. Several other customers knew the room no 153 and even if given upgrade would not stay at this room as there are always problems with it. Whilst Tara was helpful at first I felt let down as no one followed up the complaints. Then on departure they asked for full price of 509euros. It was only after protest that I got a reduction of 100 euros I would have much preferred a hot bath and warm room. I am disappointed that millpark didn't write or email me particularly mr [---]. We were recommended by a local Donegal family. Even if they had given us a voucher to go back and give them the benefit of the doubt. We have travelled for 40 years and never had this problem in any hotel. If a room was cold they dealt with it efficiently so badly let down by Irish establishment. Next new year it will be somewhere in Europe there are so many wonderful hotels that would do anything to make your stay enjoyable. I did like the staff in the restaurant as they were very efficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vigo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great hotel located close to Donegal town - ten minute stroll into the centre, good sized comfortable rooms with decent free wifi. Friendly staff, good breakfast, has a nice leisure centre as well. My choice of hotel when working in Donegal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Leitrim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Mill Park Hotel was the venue we chose for our wedding last April (2012). Our day was absolutely perfect. The staff were fantastic, they looked after us so well from start to finish and definitely went the extra mile, so friendly and welcoming. The hotel had a lovely homely feel. The room was decorated beautifully, the food was gorgeous - we could not have faulted a thing. As a wedding venue, we could not recommend the Mill Park Hotel highly enough and we cannot thank them enough for making our wedding day so memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in Feb 2012 (also Nov 2011). Check in was fast and friendly.
Our room was clean and a travel cot for our daughter was already set up, as requested.
The bar had a good menu and the staff were very friendly (in particular a Dublin man). We brought our daughter in there in the evening asleep in her buggy for an hour and nobody had any issue with it.

The pool was clean and very child friendly.

On the downside- breakfast was extremely busy. There was not enough staff and it took us around 20 mins to get tea and toast! We had our breakfast finished at this stage. The poor girl working was run off her feet and it was only 9am. I'm sure nearer 10am was chaos!!
The food was fantastic though. Overall, we will definitely be back here again.

• Stayed February 2012
navan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked our wedding here in March 2012 and I felt it important to let other couples know that they would be sincerely looked after. Our day was spectacular even by our own admission but without the knowledge and friendly professionalism of the wedding team, we'd have been lost :) All guests were raving about the food and the stunning surroundings that is Donegal. Definitely recommend if for your BIG DAY!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here in January, having had to come to Donegal for a funeral. I had looked on line and found that the hotel had good reviews on trip advisor and the hotel's own website made it look good. My husband and I had to take time off work to attend the funeral but as I work on the road anyway I would still be expected to have emails etc, this was the main reason I booked this hotel as it had wireless in the rooms! When we got to our extremely basic room, there was in fact no wireless to be got, I queried this at reception to be told that I may have to hook up in the lobby but that it was in the rooms after that. I did so and yes there was wireless in the lobby but still nothing in the rooms. I ended up having to take a work Skype call in the bar, not ideal. We ate in the bar which was less than satisfactory, I ordered a healthy stir fry which came to me swimming in sauce, my husbands meatballs could have been used for a game of squash they were so hard. The breakfast was possibly one of the worst I've seen and I stay in hotels 3 nights of every week. The cooked breakfast must have been left out since 6am, we came down at 8.30am, so everything was shrivelled and tepid. The scrambled eggs were crusted over and swimming in a bath or grimy looking liquid, enough to make us decide to have breakfast else where. The hotels one saving grace was a girl at reception on the evening I checked in, she was completely apologetic about the lack of Internet and did try everything to help, however the girl I spoke with the following morning on check out was rude, impolite and completely unsympathetic, she barely spoke, the same could be said for the breakfast staff who were very unhelpful.
In summary I am still completely bewildered as to why this hotel would have a 4 star rating as I believe that a 2 star would be generous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mill Park Hotel? Share your experiences!