“A Steal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #173 of 455 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish, Japanese, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: An intimate restaurant run by locally famous chef Seamus O'Connell, featuring some of the most imaginative food in Ireland. The menu includes cajun, french and asian influences, with dishes such as blackened shark with banana ketchup and veal chimichanga ensuring that Cork locals and tourists alike take the time to locate this hard to find restaurant.
“A Steal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

Not my words but that of a fellow diner having eaten their way through a five course meal for a cost of €50 (without wine). Ivory Tower served up another taste sensation and well known chef Seamus O'Connell was on both cooking and serving duty and he did it with aplomb. Nowhere else can you have such fine food in such a relaxed setting. For me a perfect combination.

The only pity is that there were plenty of empty tables - its hidden away above Karizma Barbers on Oliver Plunkett Street with the entrance just down Princes Street. Search it out, a real crime it would be if this restaurant was no more.

I am looking forward to returning already.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Corks Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

Top class cooking and presentation, in an eclectic but welcoming ambience.
On the third floor of a somewhat dilapidated building, at the junction of Oliver Plunkett and Princes St., this place is well worth a visit. It's style is indefinable, adventurous and excellent value foe the quality on offer. DON'T MISS IT!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clonmel, Ireland
“Eclectic mix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

Back in Ivory Tower after 10 year lapse. Never mediocre, we've had fab and odd meals here, and this was a high point. Good value five course menu, from veal livers through exquisite miso, to odd-ball rice gel and ice cream, was exciting at every turn.

Food from the heart. Makes a delightful change from menu-by-numbers

• Visited October 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cork, Ireland
“Could not get in contact to redeem €100 voucher”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Have eaten the tasting menu here which is great.

Spent €100 on the cooking class voucher and spent weeks trying to get in touch. Emails were rejected and no answer on telephone. €100 wasted as time ran out to use it. For this reason I would not advise anyone to buy a voucher for this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ballincollig, Ireland
“Very disappointed - much better elsewhere in Cork”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

I was there Saturday with my wife and we ordered the special tasting menu. (cant remember was it supposed to be 7 or 8 courses)
We were told that this was order of the al carte menu for multiple courses

We were the last in (8:30) and the restaurant was reasonable busy.

So we both got the special suprise
For starter I got Sushi, herself got wood pigeon
Then I got miso soup and herself got a sorbet
For mains I got fish, and herself got shark
All good so far - no complaints

After that things got bad. At that stage I could see that someone else had complained about the service - it being slow etc (we going oh, we didnt think that) this was about 10pm. After that there was only 3 tables (all couples left) However somehow we managed not to get deserts until 11!! (which I found weird since we were asked to order deserts at the outset)

My wife got a chocolate fondant with icecream, in my experience the fondant is *supposed to be hot* it was practically frozen
We didn't get offered coffees with our desert either..

At this stage it was coming up on 11:20 and we needed to get back for the baby sitter. So after we got the bill coming to 173 euro. Afterwards I was thinking we didnt get the tasting menu we didnt get the extra courses, so why the extra 40 euro charge???

Unfortunately since the restaurant likes to be soo laid back that they don't have a proper till or receipt system i don't have the original bill. I was disappointed as others had built this up to be a great experience, but when you compare this to other restaurants in Cork with a similar price range, they have a much better dining experience

The restaurant relies a lot on its charm and quirkiness but perhaps too much so...
Overall very disappointed