“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 457 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Market Lane is an award winning restaurant and bar over two floors that offers great food and amazing value. Where possible we use ingredients from The English Market and local artisan producers to make up our menu which has a wide range of fish, salads, meat, game and sandwiches, in addition to coeliac and vegetarian dishes and a healthy kids menu. Take a virtual tour or make a booking on our website.
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The restaurant is very busy and requires a reservation, especially on weekends. We found it to be quite noisy. There were 6 of us eating and 2 liked their meals and the rest thought it was not particularly good and very over priced.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Cork, Ireland
“Great food and atmosphere, but always jammed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I love Market Lane. Their menu changes often enough to keep going back, and the food is all locally sourced. Time after time, their food never lets you down so foodwise, absolutely worth going to !

The downside is they don't take reservations (only for groups 6 or more) so trying ot get a table at the wkd is a challenge. Also the tables are close together which isn't ideal but I can understand why they'd want to squeeze as many people in as possible.

The service is good, even better when it's quiet (after peak lunch and dinner times), but during busy periods you can see the stress on staff faces and they have less time for ya, but they still serve good food!! :)

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“Green with Envy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We arrived at 6.00pm on a Friday night expecting easy access. It was thronged. We got a table upstairs, a kind of upstairs/mezzanine floor allowing the buzz and atmosphere to waft upwards. Wife and daughter had Tempura Monkfish with basmati rice, pea and cardamom pilaf, julienne bok choi, scallions and peppers with chilli jam; I had steak. We started with a crispy confit duck shared between three without any embarassment, excellent professional waiter, the best ever. The menu stays the same for months; it is similar to the lunch menu, it is a winning formula. We left behind a huge queue waiting for tables. We also left behind a pair of spectacles which had to be rescued two hours later, when there was still a queue. This is a lovely safe dining experience. In my opinion, it equals the dining experience you would have in Greene's Restaurant nearby where the menu changes frequently. Lovely night out. Not cheap but great dining experience. I will go again,and again. I would love to be able to reproduce this type of meal at home.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely fabulous!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Ate here twice on our recent trip to Cork: once with my husband for lunch & once with his company team for dinner. Both dining experiences were beyond satisfactory! For lunch I had a massive BLT that I could barely wrap my hands around much less my mouth! Plus soup & my husband had a great salmon dish. For dinner I had the butternut gratin & it was AMAZING!!! ...almost like a good ol' southern comfort dish. And dessert??? Ooooohhh, dessert!!! Sooooooo yummy!!! Try the banana/salted caramel option! Will never, ever forget this place :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wicklow
“Really great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 12:30pm on a Thursday afternoon and were seated immediately. We had a lovely seat by the window and a friendly server. Our starters came out promptly, I had the French onion soup, it was great! I then had vegetarian moussaka, it was SO good. After an hour had passed, the place was completely full and there was a great buzz. Would definitely return.