“Beautiful setting, great food (Bistro in a Hotel )” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, International, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ireland
“Beautiful setting, great food (Bistro in a Hotel )”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a 5* establishment. So expect the best. The Hotel is beautiful. Built to look old with great service. It has a wonderful feel to it on entering the foyer.
We went to Perrotts Bistro in the hotel, so called, I presume from the name of the street outside.
It's a great garden room, lots of glass, high ceilings. Tiled floors, glass tables. Somewhat close together, this certainly needs a Rethink of use of space. As when you get your table it's fine till someone has to squeeze in behind you and you're up against your table.
The ambience was great, lively Saturday night. Full on. The bar was so jammed we had to go straight into the Bistro for pre dinner drinks which was no problem at all.
The Menu is great, something for everyone. Pasta, Fish, Meat, Vegetarian. Set menu or a la carte.
I had the old fashioned Prawn Coctail, just wonderful. Dubin Bay Prawns tossed not smothered in Marie Rose Sauce. My partner had Crab Claws, not so good. He felt they were not fresh, more like defrosted. Usually crab meat should fall off the blade but these were tough. When asked if we enjoyed our starter he said No, they weren't fresh. Our server was taken aback and said she'd say it to the chef but that was it. No service recovery. This is 5*!!!
Our main course : I had pan fried Halibut on sweet puried potato DEVINE!!
My partner had 28day hung Fillet of Beef. Sublime he said.
We had Coffees. Bottle of recommended house white, G and T and a pint before dinner. Bill 135euro. This is not cheap. It is 5* and when we were paying again we were asked if we'd enjoyed our meal and we said yes but his crab claws weren't fresh. She said oh I said it to the chef. When we asked what he said she said "nothing, he just shrugged "..5* I think not. Not good enough. Not good enough for the prices. No service recovery at all. Chefs have to be able to take criticism as well as compliments. But yes we would return.
We then went into the bar for a night cap. We had beer and a Creme de Menthe frappe. At least we asked for that. When it arrived it was short on crushed ice, so I asked for more. Only to be told the machine wasn't working too well. I'll say it again FIVE star. Not 4 or 3 .FIVE. One expects more.
Also to see two ten year olds walking through the bar in pajamas at 11o clock at night, bare feet looking for glasses of milk is just not on. Out in the foyer a couple who really needed to get a room were stretched out on the couch having a love in. Shoes off, feet over the arm of the settee, he giving her legs a massage. No one dealt with anything.
The singer was fantastic. Great. This is a lovely hotel but on the night we were there someone somewhere needed to appear to be in charge and keep their standards up.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ettienne V, General Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest RealFoodIreland,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to Hayfield Manor.

Thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our hotel, I am very glad to know that you were pleased with our décor and traditional styled foyer.

I am however exceedingly sorry to learn that although you personally enjoyed your dining experience in our Perrott’s Garden Bistro, your partner left feeling dissatisfied with our Crab starter and lack of service recovery. I can assure you that all our meat and fish products are freshly sourced daily. In regards to the lack of service recovery, I can only apologise on behalf of your waitress that evening for your disappointment not being resolved and therefore you leaving feeling dissatisfied.

My apologies also for the lack of service received in our Manor Bar. Excuses are certainly not five star and this attitude is most certainly not a reflection of our usual high standards.

Thank you once again for your helpful feedback, which is indeed very much appreciated.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to Hayfield Manor again, I would be most grateful if you could contact me when you plan to return, so that I can personally oversee your visit.

72% Recommend
st louis mo
“Wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a great dinner here; the restaurant is lovely and serene without being stuffy, food and service were both terrific. Very romantic and picturesque setting. Would highly recommend!

Visited October 2013
Ettienne V, General Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest stltraveling,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and indeed for choosing to dine with us recently.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your evening at our Perrott’s Bistro and I am very glad that our surroundings, food and staff managed to impress you.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor in the near future.

Eire
“Good need of dusting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love the Hayfield and love staying here. Always feel pampered. It was because of this that I treated my son (who just moved to Cork to study in UCC) to an early dinner in Perrotts. It is not cheap but considering it's a 5 star hotel, I accepted that. There were three other tables occupied and we were shoved into a small table by the wall for 2. Can't understand the reasoning behind this when the place is practically empty. It was a squash with glasses and plates and side plates but I was just too tired to complain at that stage. While waiting for our meal I noticed how dusty and dirty our table lamp was, I was really amazed at how dirty our area was. The food is lovely but the portions are quite small considering the price you pay. I'd like to say this experience was a once off but I can't. I brought him to lunch a few weeks beforehand and we couldn't sit outside as there were wasps everywhere, the other rooms were fully booked with afternoon teas so the only place was the bar which I find dark, uncomfortable and shabby looking. The service is not the same, it seems it's only reserved for residents. I have to say I'm really disappointed as I love this hotel. I will definitely stay here again and the breakfast is second to none, but as for lunch or dinner, it's unfortunate, but I simply can't recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ettienne V, General Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest Hera08,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to dine at Perrotts Garden Bistro recently, and also for taking the time to write your review.

I am very sorry indeed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent dining experience. I am also extremely disappointed to hear that you were seated at a table that was not adequately cleaned. This is most certainly not in keeping with our standards, and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to assure you that I will be speaking with our management team and with the staff in Perrotts Garden Bistro in relation to the issues outlined in your review, and I very much hope that you will find our standards much improved on your next visit.

I would like to apologise to you once again, and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Perrotts Garden Bistro again in the near future.

Byron, Minnesota
“Excellent food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed the food and friendly service. We had halibut and pork belly entrees. Both surpassed our expectations. I was particularly impressed with their wine selection not expecting to see such a strong wine list. A French white burgundy went very well with the fish. Dessert included a chocolate marquis which melted in your mouth. Overall a very positive experience!

Visited September 2013
Ettienne V, General Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest German313,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to dine at Perrotts Garden Bistro recently, and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review.

It was an absolute delight to read your fantastic review. Thank you very much indeed for your very kind praise of our cuisine and of our wines. It is immensely gratifying to know that we managed to exceed your expectations.

I will be certain to forward your review to the whole team at Perrotts, and I am sure that Sandra, our Sommelier, and also our chefs, will be especially delighted with your kind comments.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Perrotts Garden Bistro again in the near future.

San Francisco, California
“Relaxed and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Dining solo as I was on this occasion one tends to focus on the food. The crab tacos with chilli and coconut were a delightful starter. They were the perfect finger food and each taco was two tasty bites. A nice hint of chilli (not too much) and a sprinkling of coconut to complement the subtle crab flavours.
The lamb surpassed even the crab tacos. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but I've not before tasted lamb with such intensity of flavour. Could it be the time of year or is it the skills of the kitchen? Either way it makes for a great eating experience.
And how delightful to find that the featured wines are not 30% more than the average for the wine list. Just interesting and reasonably priced. On this showing I couldn't recommend this restaurant more highly.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ettienne V, General Manager at Perrotts Garden Bistro, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest alanrwillis,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to dine at Perrotts Garden Bistsro recently, and indeed for taking the time to write your marvellous review.

Thank you very much for your wonderful praise of our Bistro. I am delighted that you were so pleased with both the quality of the cuisine and the price of our wines.

It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your meal so thoroughly, and I will be certain to forward your praise to the chefs and the team at Perrotts. Thank you again for your kind feedback.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again, hopefully very soon.