“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cork, Ireland
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Lovely menu full of fresh, seasonal ingredients. Full of flavour and for the price I would never expect after tasting their dishes. Really good food in nice intimate atmosphere of this small restaurant. Worth trying if you're in Cork.

• Visited December 2013

Cork, Ireland
“Outstanding Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The meal started with gorgeous warm bread. which Id happily have had for starter, main and dessert. My wife had raviolli to start which is one of the nicest dishes I've ever tasted. The mains were equally excellent. The duck my wife had was lovely and the steak I had was one of the best I've ever experienced. The staff were very friendly and attentive without being overbearing. I'll be making a point of returning here again soon.

• Visited April 2014
Phoenix, AZ
“Still thinking about our meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We loved our dinner at Star Anise. It had a warm atmosphere and we were welcomed by the friendly staff. Go hungry - everything was fantastic. We ordered the mushroom ravioli for a starter. The pasta was so fresh it melted in our mouths. It was a sensation my taste buds will never forget. For our main course, my partner had the Fish of the Day, Monkfish and I had the gnocchi. His monkfish was full of flavor, fresh and cooked for perfection. The gnocchi was puffy pasta pillows that filled the entire plate. It was homemade just like the ravioli and was complemented with pine nuts, butternut squash and kale.

We spoke with the owner who handpicks the artwork, food and wine. She is French and her standards of quality rate high. She is very conscious of delicious, high quality food. For dessert, we had the Trio of Apples. The apple sorbet was bursting with perfect apple flavor. The other two apple items in the trio were the tar tar and posset. Posset is a pudding like texture and the tar tar was served warm. It was just the right amount of everything. Overall, if you are in Cork and are in need of a great dinner with quality ingredients, go to Star Anise. You will be thinking about your meal for weeks.

• Visited March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Good French food option in Cork City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Good French restaurant making well thought out dishes in Cork City centre at a reasonable price.

The restaurant itself is a nice size (approx 25 patrons when full) with simple decor (maybe too simple for the good food produced...). We booked ahead for the early bird and found the restaurant full with a nice atmosphere.

I had a ham hock croquette to start - tasty dish but a little salty overall - and my dining partner the goats cheese salad which was nicely balanced. For main I had the special of rabbit legs with mustard. This was a great dish with good meaty flavours, interesting mustard potatoes and some simple veg. My dining partner had the gnocchi which are made in the restaurant and cooked to perfection. The gnocchi was excellent. For dessert we tried the creme brûlée with a taster of toffee cake which was fantastic and the chocolate brownie with raspberry.

The early bird is 27 euro which was good value for the food produced. We had wine by the glass (Malbec and Sauvignon) and both were enjoyable wines.

Overall, a very good experience and a reliable spot for dinner in Cork.

Limerick, Ireland
“Don't miss it, but book in advance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had this restaurant recommended to us by people who live in Cork and we weren't disappointed. It has a really relaxed atmosphere, it's cosy but not crowded, every table seemed to have enough space. The menu was different (eclectic) and the food was delicious. The wine was lovely as were the staff. I can't recommend this restaurant strongly enough. We'd go back to Cork just to eat there again!

• Visited March 2014