“Good food, but ....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Indian Palace

The Indian Palace
31 Princes Street, Cork, Ireland (Centre)
Improve this listing
Ranked #370 of 455 Restaurants in Cork
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Good food, but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went in around 7pm on the public holiday Monday of the Cork marathon, and it was absolutely deserted, apart from the staff (and a very noisy toddler).

The food was very good - I had a "hot" jalfrezi, which was a bit too hot for my taste, but I can't really complain as I don't live in Ireland and I'd never been to an Indian restaurant in Ireland before. I had the option to order, and should have ordered, a medium one.

But there was just no atmosphere. We were sat in the window, and a few quick eaters and take awayers came and went whilst we were there. We ordered a glass each of house wine. We normally do this to try it, before moving on to a bottle. But it was truly dreadful. Fortunately, one of the more expensive wines came to the rescue.

The prices are not cheap and, at the end of the evening, despite the good food and decent service, we felt disappointed. And is a restaurant really the place for staff to bring a toddler to wander around?

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Awful. Please stay away.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was really looking forward to a nice tasty Indian meal and what we actually got was far from that!
For starters we had the sharing platter of Chicken tikka, veg and meat samosa and Chicken wings and at €9 I was expecting it to be adequate, I found the tikka to be bland and unappetizing, the pastry On the samosa was not cooked enough and by chance I pulled the wing apart and it was cold so needless to say they could not have been eaten.
I had 'a pint' of Heineken which came from a can and charged €4.80 for the pleasure! As did the cider My other half ordered.
I went for lamb tikka masala for main which was equally as disappointing, the lamb was under cooked and chewy although the sauce with the pilaf rice was not bad. I got a tandoori naan which was served in an outdoor plastic chip basket!! Hideous... I have eaten in many Indian restaurants and this was like nothing I have ever experienced, My end taught was that they relied on people coming in after pub closing time inebriated and they didn't care what they were eating. I would rather have saved the €62 it cost and spent it on plastic. wrapped sandwiches.!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Jus love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I jus love the food wat ever i ate here.. And my favourite is vegetable briyaani... Feeling at home when i tasted them.... Jus go for it... Hospitality is awesome for the customers.... I must say that...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“Bad food, worse service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I like the decor. That's about all the good I can say.
The service was pleasantish at the start. I love Indian food and have had it many times before, I ordered a favourite, Vegetable Biryani. My companion ordered Chicken Madras. The biryani was absolutely awful. The rice was like something from the tesco value range and was tasteless, the accompanying sauce just tasted like salt. I was extremely dissapointed as this also took half an hour to be served to us, being only one other table in the restaurant on a Friday night, I had actually taken this as a good sign that maybe everything was going to be served fresh. How wrong I was. Having eaten none of it and my companion having eating his out of pure starvation, I complained in a restaurant for the first time ever. The girl merely said sarcastically 'sorry about that' and when we asked for the bill we were charged for everything despite having barely touched mine. Whats worse, I could hear the two female waiting staff talking about us not far away. Having paid, we recieved no thank you or goodbye and left, still hungry, but turned off food in general. Terrible 'Indian' food, worse service. Don't do it to yourself.

Dublin
“Good service but shockingly awful food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Positives first. The service at the restaurant was very good and the two girls front of house were really friendly and helpful. That's why I've given the restaurant two stars.

The food was one of the worst meals I've ever had. It was certainly the worst Indian food I've ever had. My dining companion said that the sauce must have come from a jar. It was worse than that.

Mixed platter to start was awful. Chicken drumsticks burnt, samosas hard and dry, accompanying sauce was like HP sauce. I had to ask for another portion of the mint dip I got with my poppadom that's how dry it was. It was accompanied by a plate of raw red onion rings.

Main course was even worse. I got lamb chilli bhuna and the sauce was gloopy and tasteless. Not a hint of spice in it (except chilli). Not real Indian cooking. Lamb was tough too.

My companion got a potato dish that was equally flat. Just thick sauce without a hint of Indian spice.

Not a cheap meal. Two starters, two mains and three beers came to €67. Food lacks finesse, taste and the slightest bit of care. I'd be amazed if an Indian chef cooked it. Nice staff deserve to work somewhere better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere