“City Break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“City Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I recently took a city break to Cork, what a great weekend, we were looking for a centrally located B&B that we could walk to town, park the car & not have to pay city rates for parking !! This B&B is perfect..... We had a fantastic experience, Barry was more than accommodating when it came to site seeing in Cork, places to go thing to do. Our breakfast was delicious my husband had the full breakfast each morning, where I opted for scrambled eggs, I'm not a big breakfast tea drinker so it was great to have the option to make my own tea and they have a great selection of flavours. It was nice not to have to worrie about security as the B&B is in a lovely safe neighbourhood. Our Room and Bathroom were both clean and very comfortable, ample clean towels. We will be staying there again... thank you Barry

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Booked this b&b for our last night in Ireland as it is only 15 mins from airport. Barry was very nice and the breakfast was lovely, but the room was disappointing, very basic, no tea and coffee facilities in the room. The bathroom was in need of a refit, the shower was not very clean and the towels were hard, old and just shoved on a towel rail by the sink. It was really hot and stuffy in the night but as it was on the ground floor you could'nt really open the window very wide. I wouldn't have wanted to stay more than one night here. No comparison to the place that we stayed in Tralee, which was the same price but of a much higher standard.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
guilfoylefs, Manager at Mariaville House, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Just to deal with the matters raised for those who are interested.

We have made a decision to take the teas and coffeee making facilities out of the bedroom and place these in our breakfast room for our guests. The reason that we have done this is that we can now provided our guests with fresh milk from a fridge that we have placed in this room for our guests. This fresh milk replaces those awful little cartons of condensed milk. This facility is pointed out to each guest on arrival. Indeed we have a selection of over five different teas. This facility is available to all our guests 24/7. We are a small four bedroom B & B so one is never to far from one's next cuppa.

The towles are washed every day and placed neatly on the towel rail in each room with the extras on the nearby radiator. Nobody stuffs towels in our house and the extra crispness mentioned is due to the recent spell of good weather and the towels being dried in the fresh air. If this is a cause of complaint ,well, we do not need to worry, as the rain and bad weather is back with us.

The same goes for the complaint of a hot a stuffy room. For future guests,we live in a very quite and safe neighbourhood so leaving windows slightly open at night is never a problem.

I hope the foregoing points have address the issues raised and yes we would love to be able to refit and modernise on an annual basis, but with the state of the tourist sector,the lack of banking financing and all the additional taxes that have been visited on us by the"Troika" and our own government, this is not possible.

Nevertheless we continue to fight on but do wish that people who had good experiences with us would be as active as those that don't. I suppose that the nature of things.

By the way, the bathrooms are cleaned on a daily basis but just to show that we listen they are getting a thorough seeing to by my wife as we speak.

Barry and Goretti,
Mariaville House,
Cork City.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had to travel to Cork from Dublin to attend lectures at the UCC Brookfield Health Science Centre on 7-8 March 2013 & found Maria Ville B&B on the Google map for the 2 days/1 night stay - I am very grateful to have found this B&B which is only exactly 7 minutes walk from the B&B right into the interior of the Health Science Centre (or 4-5 mins from the B&B to the exterior gate of the Centre), & is the nearest B&B to the campus. It has a carpark space for my car hence I did not have to worry about where to park my car. It is run by a lovely couple whom I am rather impressed with their vast knowledge & readiness to give any advice for hoiday-makers to Cork. I was happy with my en-suite comfortable room, which unfortunately for me I did not have my laptop with me as there was free wireless in the room! Thank you Barry & Goretti!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

What a lovely family! We enjoyed a home cooked meal every morning which included a traditional Irish Breakfast with black and white pudding. I do not eat meat, so my eggs were served with fresh tomatoes and chives fresh from the garden! My daughter and I chatted with Barry about interesting places to visit and how to get about town. Very convenient bus service from this B&B if you are not driving. Barry's wife makes the best coffee EVER!

Room Tip: Room #3 has trouble with internet, if that is important to you. We would go to the diningroom and u...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The location is convenient to downtown Cork, a 5 minute drive or a 22 minute walk. Space was rather tight in the bedroom where we stayed and it was a challenge finding a place to use our laptops. The beds were good quality and comfortable. The bathroom was small but adequate and acceptably clean. The liquid soap dispenser in the shower had shampoo but no soap was supplied. The towels were changed every second day, but the weather was so humid while we were there that the towels did not dry at all and we ended up using damp towels half the time. The homemade breakfasts were quite good. To park just about anywhere in Cork you need to buy and display "parking discs," which you can get only in certain convenience stores. To park on the street in front of the B & B we also needed parking discs and there was a maximum time limit -- could not park overnight in front of the B & B. So, all the cars of the guests had to be shoe-horned into the very small courtyard in front of the B & B. The result was that some of the cars in the courtyard are blocked by others and you have to contact the host so he can move the other cars -- a big inconvenience for everyone. The host is good natured about this, but it is definitely an inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
guilfoylefs, Owner at Mariaville House, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
We have read this review with some interest and have taken note of the various points raised.We have rooms of various sizes but all meet the required standards. We must keep an eye on the soap dispensers. We note the comments with respect to the towels and agree that with our current damp summer that our eco friendly policy may need to be reviewed.
We are a small family run B & B, close to the centre of a large city, so parking will always be at a premium. Some hotels in the city charge for the privelege of parking overnight. We do our best to provide free parking for our guests and in 13 years in business this is the first time that it has been raised . But it is something that we will be conscious of and make sure that our guests are not inconvenienced at any time.
We at Mariaville House, welcome reviews like this, as they keep us on our toes and alert us to things that we should and will be doing for our clients.
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I liked this B&B so much after our first night that we booked another night there at the end of our vacation. What makes this house so wonderful are the owners, Barry and Goretti. They were so warm and inviting and truly directed us to places in Cork that suited us. The rooms themselves were very clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were awesome and hearty. The walk to the city center of Cork is only about 20 minutes. We really enjoyed our stay here and will always remember the owners fondly!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Klagenfurt, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed with Barry and Goretti at Mariaville B&B during a recent conference trip to Cork. First of; what could be considered a 'business trip' definitely took on some of the qualities of a mini-vacation thanks to the hospitality that I received from them. Right from the start they were very welcoming, attentive and accommodating.
Barry made special arrangements for my arrival since I got to Cork rather late on a Sunday night. He was right there at the doorstep welcoming me to Ireland with a hearty smile and a firm handshake. He showed me to my room and showed me where everything was and how everything worked. The room I stayed in faced west and from my window I could see some parts of Cork's suburbia as well as rolling green hills in the distance.
The room itself was neat and clean, fresh bedsheets, towels and all. The same also goes for the bathroom (see pictures). Nothing was amiss; and even if it had been, Barry strikes me as the kind of guy with whom one could easily and cordially talk about it and he would then go on and try to fix it.
The rooms are neither really fancy nor are they nondescript as you would expect it in a major motel chain or in an airport hotel; but this is not what I was looking for on my first trip to Ireland anyway. At Mariaville B&B, it seems as if the rooms have been neatly arranged so that you get the feeling that you are temporarily moving in with an Irish family who makes sure that you are taken good care of. It simply feels authentically hospitable.
The B&B is just a stone's throw (approx. 2 min) away from the University College Cork (UCC). Hence, most, if not all major attractions/sites, which are located within the city's boundaries, may be easily reached on foot. But, as Barry was quick to point out there is also a bus right at the corner of their street which takes you straight into town.
Barry even took the time to sit down with over my first full Irish breakfast and he went over a map of Cork with me. He pointed out all things that I could do/explore off the conference track. I also drew on his expertise as a 'local' to obtain recommendations for authentic Irish pubs and for places where one could sample the local cuisine. His recommendations (e.g. The Long Valley, The Mutton Lane Inn, etc.) totally paid off.
It is of the utmost importance to highlight the 'breakfast experience' at Mariaville B&B. There is plenty of food for you to make your own breakfast, ranging from yogurts, cereals, toast, etc. Goretti will also prepare your eggs anyway you would like them. Still, you should not miss out on the full Irish breakfast they prepare for you. It is indeed phenomenal: bacon, eggs, sausages, fried black pudding (see pictures). It is definitely worth the calories. I probably would not recommend eating it on a daily basis for the rest of your life but when you are in Ireland you may as well indulge yourself a wee bit more than usual. On the other hand, their breakfast really keeps you going all day whether on the conference track or when you explore the town. In short, a real treat.
I also had an additional day after the conference on which I wanted to venture out into the surrounding area of Cork. Once again Barry was very helpful in making my decision easier - I could only go on one short day trip - and he also pointed out a few "tourist traps" which I should avoid. Since it was Cork Week - supposedly Ireland's biggest yachting regatta - I ended up going to Cobh, where I spent pleasant day.
Since my flight left rather early on a Saturday morning, Barry was kind enough to order me a taxi from a company that he personally knows not to be a rip-off. They also made sure to provide me with some basic breakfast (yogurt, toast, jams, etc.) because I had to leave before they would get up.
The bottom-line is that you simply cannot go wrong with Barry & Goretti at Mariaville B&B and when (not "if") I go back to Cork, I hope they will have a room available for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mariaville House? Share your experiences!