“Convenient to downtown Cork” 3 of 5 stars

Mariaville House
Coolgarten Park | Off Magazine Road, Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #41 of 62 Cork B&B and Inns
Columbus, OH
“Convenient to downtown Cork”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The location is convenient to downtown Cork, a 5 minute drive or a 22 minute walk. Space was rather tight in the bedroom where we stayed and it was a challenge finding a place to use our laptops. The beds were good quality and comfortable. The bathroom was small but adequate and acceptably clean. The liquid soap dispenser in the shower had shampoo but no soap was supplied. The towels were changed every second day, but the weather was so humid while we were there that the towels did not dry at all and we ended up using damp towels half the time. The homemade breakfasts were quite good. To park just about anywhere in Cork you need to buy and display "parking discs," which you can get only in certain convenience stores. To park on the street in front of the B & B we also needed parking discs and there was a maximum time limit -- could not park overnight in front of the B & B. So, all the cars of the guests had to be shoe-horned into the very small courtyard in front of the B & B. The result was that some of the cars in the courtyard are blocked by others and you have to contact the host so he can move the other cars -- a big inconvenience for everyone. The host is good natured about this, but it is definitely an inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
guilfoylefs, Owner at Mariaville House, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
We have read this review with some interest and have taken note of the various points raised.We have rooms of various sizes but all meet the required standards. We must keep an eye on the soap dispensers. We note the comments with respect to the towels and agree that with our current damp summer that our eco friendly policy may need to be reviewed.
We are a small family run B & B, close to the centre of a large city, so parking will always be at a premium. Some hotels in the city charge for the privelege of parking overnight. We do our best to provide free parking for our guests and in 13 years in business this is the first time that it has been raised . But it is something that we will be conscious of and make sure that our guests are not inconvenienced at any time.
We at Mariaville House, welcome reviews like this, as they keep us on our toes and alert us to things that we should and will be doing for our clients.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I liked this B&B so much after our first night that we booked another night there at the end of our vacation. What makes this house so wonderful are the owners, Barry and Goretti. They were so warm and inviting and truly directed us to places in Cork that suited us. The rooms themselves were very clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were awesome and hearty. The walk to the city center of Cork is only about 20 minutes. We really enjoyed our stay here and will always remember the owners fondly!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Klagenfurt, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed with Barry and Goretti at Mariaville B&B during a recent conference trip to Cork. First of; what could be considered a 'business trip' definitely took on some of the qualities of a mini-vacation thanks to the hospitality that I received from them. Right from the start they were very welcoming, attentive and accommodating.
Barry made special arrangements for my arrival since I got to Cork rather late on a Sunday night. He was right there at the doorstep welcoming me to Ireland with a hearty smile and a firm handshake. He showed me to my room and showed me where everything was and how everything worked. The room I stayed in faced west and from my window I could see some parts of Cork's suburbia as well as rolling green hills in the distance.
The room itself was neat and clean, fresh bedsheets, towels and all. The same also goes for the bathroom (see pictures). Nothing was amiss; and even if it had been, Barry strikes me as the kind of guy with whom one could easily and cordially talk about it and he would then go on and try to fix it.
The rooms are neither really fancy nor are they nondescript as you would expect it in a major motel chain or in an airport hotel; but this is not what I was looking for on my first trip to Ireland anyway. At Mariaville B&B, it seems as if the rooms have been neatly arranged so that you get the feeling that you are temporarily moving in with an Irish family who makes sure that you are taken good care of. It simply feels authentically hospitable.
The B&B is just a stone's throw (approx. 2 min) away from the University College Cork (UCC). Hence, most, if not all major attractions/sites, which are located within the city's boundaries, may be easily reached on foot. But, as Barry was quick to point out there is also a bus right at the corner of their street which takes you straight into town.
Barry even took the time to sit down with over my first full Irish breakfast and he went over a map of Cork with me. He pointed out all things that I could do/explore off the conference track. I also drew on his expertise as a 'local' to obtain recommendations for authentic Irish pubs and for places where one could sample the local cuisine. His recommendations (e.g. The Long Valley, The Mutton Lane Inn, etc.) totally paid off.
It is of the utmost importance to highlight the 'breakfast experience' at Mariaville B&B. There is plenty of food for you to make your own breakfast, ranging from yogurts, cereals, toast, etc. Goretti will also prepare your eggs anyway you would like them. Still, you should not miss out on the full Irish breakfast they prepare for you. It is indeed phenomenal: bacon, eggs, sausages, fried black pudding (see pictures). It is definitely worth the calories. I probably would not recommend eating it on a daily basis for the rest of your life but when you are in Ireland you may as well indulge yourself a wee bit more than usual. On the other hand, their breakfast really keeps you going all day whether on the conference track or when you explore the town. In short, a real treat.
I also had an additional day after the conference on which I wanted to venture out into the surrounding area of Cork. Once again Barry was very helpful in making my decision easier - I could only go on one short day trip - and he also pointed out a few "tourist traps" which I should avoid. Since it was Cork Week - supposedly Ireland's biggest yachting regatta - I ended up going to Cobh, where I spent pleasant day.
Since my flight left rather early on a Saturday morning, Barry was kind enough to order me a taxi from a company that he personally knows not to be a rip-off. They also made sure to provide me with some basic breakfast (yogurt, toast, jams, etc.) because I had to leave before they would get up.
The bottom-line is that you simply cannot go wrong with Barry & Goretti at Mariaville B&B and when (not "if") I go back to Cork, I hope they will have a room available for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Mariaville B&B while attending a conference at the UCC. The great irish breakfast kept us going through the day, and the host Barry was very helpful. We had a five minute walk to the University, and about 20 minutes walk to get to the city centre, which was perfect for us. The B&B was, as others have mentioned, comfortable and peaceful. We hope to return to Cork and Mariaville!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Great B and B - close to the city - just a short and pleasant stroll. Very handy for anyone attending UCC. Barry and Molly made my stay very enjoyable, nothing was too much trouble and they also make the best eggs in Cork!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Spent 3 lovely nights at this comfortable, peaceful B&B. The location was within walking distance of the city centre yet was quiet and cosy.The host Barry gave me many tips on things to do and places to see not often mentioned on guides,adding to my enjoyment of this trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I went to Cork for a long weekend in May to stay with a few friends. Barry was a superb host. He was honest and told us what was worth doing and what was worth avoiding. My friends arrived early the following day and Barry nonetheless made them a lovely breakfast which was very welcome. He gave us recommendations of where to go. The rooms are simple but clean and tidy. For the price including breakfast the B&B was great value. You wouldnt get this level of hospitality in any hotel and if you are you are likely to be paying a lot more. It is about 15 to 20 walk from the town centre and a lovely stroll through the university.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mariaville House? Share your experiences!