“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Dolphin House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Blue Dolphin House B&B
You added Blue Dolphin House B&B to your Saves list
Western Road (Opp UCC), Cork, Ireland (Centre)   |
Ranked #39 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My family and I was visiting a Portuguese friend in Cork and was advised by her to stay at this Bed and Brekfest. We are from Lisbon and never stayed in ireland before. We were told the owners were very nice and that the stay would be very confortabal. She was very right. The woman was very friendly and showed us to our rooms. We booked 2 rooms one for me and my wife and the other for our teenage sons. We were told where to park in a large area at the back of the house. The man (I think was the owner´s huspand) was very helpful and told us about the many things to do and see on our trip. We only had 3 days in cork but from what he said I think we could have easily been busy for a week. The food was excellent. Very different from what we are used to in Portugal but a wonderfull feel for the cuisine of Ireland. The people of Cork are great and this Bed and brekfest is great. Obrigado.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We are in Cork for th Jazz Festival. The music is great, the beer fantastic and our stay at Blue Dolphin House B&B is one great experience. We are staying there for the Jazz Festival. It is clean, comfortable, well maintained and has a locked off-street car park for guests. The family are extremely accommodating, helpful and knowledgeable about Cork. It is on the Western Road, opposite UCC and is only a leisurely stroll from there to the city centre. We love it - glad we found you Blue Dolphin!! - see you again next year - thanks a million. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I run a successful Personal Training studio in Limerick City, and recently attended a 'Sports Development' seminar series in the University of Cork. Myself and two other staff members booked into Blue Dolphin B&B for our stay. I have to say, overall, it was one of the best guest houses I've stayed in and will certainly stay there again in the future. I found the staff most accomodating and helpful. The rooms were clean and warm, and my bed linen and bathroom towels were changed nightly. On our last night, we decided to have a night out in Cork city which is only a 10 minute walk away, which made it an ideal location for us, for both business and pleasure. If you want a true homely stay I think you would find it hard to find better...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
North East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

Like the previous reviewer I found a real contrast between the welcome of the landlord and the landlady. She came out and was most put out that I hadn't told them what time I was arriving. When he turned up and I asked about what to see in and around Cork it was like talking to a tour guide, he was absolutely brilliant.

The room was clean, the bathroom was clean and you were left to get on with your own devices. The breakfast was like a proper irish breakfast, no skimping.

When I said I needed to get to the airport early the next morning a taxi was booked for me.

• Liked — Irish breakfast and helpfulness of most of the staff
  • Disliked — Cold welcome initially
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

My boyfriend & I recently stayed for one night at the Blue Dolphin B&B. It was unfortunate that we only had one nigt to stay, as Cork & the surrounding areas seemed quite interesting & beautiful.

Our stay at the B&B was a little weird however. On arrival, the lady who answered the buzzer seemed completely put out that we had shown up, even though we had a reservation. She was cold & unwelcoming, & just walked off into the kitchen where she continued the conversation we had obviously interrupted. We just stood in the corridor hoping that someone was still coming to help us. We did not feel valued as customers at all right from the beginning.

After about 5 minutes, a man came out who checked us in. He was far more friendly & really knowledgable about the area, making various maps & directions available to us, for anything we might like to see or visit. These maps are available for all guests, as far as I know.

Parking was a bit weird as we couldn't find the entrance to the carpark at the rear, so had to park outside on the street where parking is not allowed (!!) until we had checked in & someone sorted it all out for us. As stated in a previous review, we were also surprised by all the 'dont's' around the place.

However, despite feeling unwelcome, the place itself was very clean & well presented. Our room was small & seemed a bit cramped, as it also had a single bed in it, although it was useful for putting our luggage on, as space was really quite limited. The bathroom was small, with the sink being in the room itself, rather than the bathroom. However, it was in excellent condition. The bed, bedding & pillows were really comfortable & the room as warm, with a view of the street (which wasn't too noisy). The rooms are very well-kept.

Breakfast was good - a typical full Irish breakfast with everything as expected. The dining room is small so you have to book a time to eat, which is not always convenient to you (we wanted to eat breakfast & get on the road by 8am, but had to wait until 8:45am if we wanted breakfast). The girls serving breakfast were very friendly & helpful, which made the experience a lot nicer.

The location is OK - there are plenty of places to go walking, & the University (UCC) is just across the road, & makes for an impressive sight. There are a few bars & places to eat there, as well as other places about 15 minutes walk towards town. The central city is another 10 minutes walk away from that, but it is flat & easy, & you can walk next to the river, which is pretty.

Our stay was not unpleasant - the rooms & breakfast were enjoyable & well-presented. If you don't mind a wee walk into the city & are after a clean & tidy B&B that offers a good breakfast, then you could do much worse than the Dolphin. We would possibly consider staying here again.

• Liked — The room was clean, & the beds were warm & comfortable. Breakfast was good too!
  • Disliked — The welcome (we almost went elsewhere!)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

Only stayed one night at this B&B but found the innkeepers to be very unfriendly. Our room was on the third floor and there were lots of stairs to climb! I was somewhat taken back by the number of "do not" signs posted around the room. I just found the experience weird!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the unfriendly staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

We spent one night in Cork and The Blue Dolphin B&B was ideal. My husband, teenage daughter and I shared an ensuite room which was perfectly adequate for one night. (Any longer and we might have felt a bit squashed as there wasn't much spare space for the suitcases.) Everything was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean.
The breakfasts were really delicious and the host was extremely helpful.
The position of the B&B was quite OK. It was about a 15 minute easy walk to the closest pub and then a bit further into Cork City.
A really enjoyable short and sweet stay.

• Liked — hospitality
  • Disliked — smallish room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Blue Dolphin House B&B? Share your experiences!