“Polite and helpful hostess working in second rate surroundings.” 2 of 5 stars

Shandon Bells
Western Rd, Cork, Ireland (Mardyke)   |
Ranked #47 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Pinjarra, Australia
“Polite and helpful hostess working in second rate surroundings.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Polite and helpful hostess doing the very best she could with the poor facilities she had been supplied with. Close to town. Fantastic breakfast. Needs a lot of work done on it. Speaking as an Australian the bed was good, the shower poor but close to a lot of pubs and nightlife.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Shandon Bells is located next door to UCC. It is an old quirky type of building next to the river. I had been planning to stay somewhere else (you'll see another review of mine) so arrived at this BnB at the last minute.
The room I had was a twin ensuite which is small but could accomodate two people as there is storage space.
The bed is comfortable and the shower room is lovely and clean. The shower was excellent.
There is a flat screen tv with BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, 2, 4, E4, More4 and Channel 4+1. That's as far as I got but it's free view so I think there is no RTE1, RTE2 or TV3 but there's plenty of tv to keep you occupied while you're getting dressed to go out or if you want to spend the evening in for some reason (like me).
The owner is lithuanian and is so smiley and chatty. She works by herself so everything is down to her work. Considering that it's just one person to get everything done I'm really impressed. The place is spotless and really well organised.
I slept well, didn't hear any noise at all and the BnB only had one room left so there were a good few here last night.
The breakfast I had this morning was lovely. I asked for scrambled eggs which I got and a sausage and a piece of white pudding. I am now very full. One thing I didn't notice last night is there is a water fountain in the dining room, handy if you're thirsty and dont want to drink out of the tap in your room (the water was warm all the time and I'm not mad about bathroom tap water anyway)
Someone mentioned the parking out front...there are 4 spaces. You may be unlucky if you're the fifth car! Thankfully there was only 3 cars here when I was staying. I have a feeling that the owner will be able to sort you out with parking if it ended up that you were the fifth car. Also if you happen to have a massive saloon car then you may find it difficult to get out. My corsa fits in just fine.
Some other features that are nice is the gazebo and tables next to the river which on days like today which is just glorious would be lovely. Apparently she has an excellent coffee machine here to but as I dont drink coffee I can't confirm that it's any good!
Overall I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room out the back. I stayed in room 7.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Filthy rooms, paper thin walls, poor parking, water pouring onto table in the dining room, two TV channels, missing light bulbs, peeling wall paper, cobwebs everywhere & no credit or debit card facilities even though advertised. And the neck to charge €60 a night!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

I had needed a place to stay for a 2 week period while I was getting my daughter settled to attend UCC. I took the self-catering option and had a lovely new kitchen and large spacious dining room to use in addition to my small but comfortable and clean bedroom which consisted of two twin beds, plenty of drawer & closet storage and a small but newly remodeled ensuite bathroom. The showers had lots of hot water and powerful. I had full use of kitchen which even included a TV to watch while cooking or eating and a dishwasher. The common areas were nicely decorated. The staff were very accommodating, friendly and kind when present. I couldn't have asked for a nicer place for the price and location. My daughter always felt comfortable visiting as well as it was in close proximity to the college. One of the UCC gates was right across the street. I never needed a car the whole time I was there as the train and bus stations are within 30 minute walk. The Sky Link that travels to & from airport has a stop about a block away from the inn. Easy walk to shopping center. The only bad thing was some insects as none of the windows have screens which is common all over ireland. The outside deck that overlooks the tree covered river was nice but had lots of bees. I would definitely want to return. Nice homey place, great location, safe surroundings for a solo traveler

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed here with my friend and I was happy with the room it was what i expected small but was very clean. We had no hairdryer in our room and when asked for it took nearly half an hour to get one also we felt the hostess to find us a nuisance which made us feel uncomfortable. but other than that it was fine but wouldnt stay again if I was in Cork.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Shandon Bells. We found the owners very friendly and welcoming.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean and our bathroom had a bath as well as a shower.
Breakfasts were superb, and plentiful with lots of choice, including a tasty full Irish breakfast..
We were only a 10 minute walk from town and will definetly stay here again if we return to Cork.

• Liked — the owners were good fun and very welcoming
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dayton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed here on our day in Cork/Blarney. Nice little place and Hillary and her husband were very nice and hospitable. The B&B is charming and what I would think of a home. Welcoming and inviting you in and not just staying there, but also chatting with other people there if you have time. Good location as it is just a couple of blocks to downtown Cork. Now that was an experience in driving. Driving in Ireland is....interesting.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shandon Bells? Share your experiences!