“Brilliant value, amazing B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Crawford Guest House B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Western Road, Cork, Ireland (Mardyke)   |
Ranked #29 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Co. Meath, Ireland
“Brilliant value, amazing B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

You can't really go wrong with Crawford House. Its location is fantastic; Western Road across from UCC, maximum 15 minute walk to bars and restaurants around the city centre, huge free parking out the back (with a nice view of the Cork Cricket Club and Sunday's Well too) and quiet, clean and well-furnished rooms. It's a budget B&B without the budget feel; our room had a jacuzzi bath and enough room to swing several cats. It was so peaceful yet so central; we didn't stay in Cork for more than 19 hours in total and 6 of those were at a friend's 30th, but we'd have been happy to stay much longer!

Our room was €50 but we splashed out on €18 for two breakfasts. And was I glad we did - the selection and service were fantastic. As well as all the usual cereals and fruit, we had cold cuts, cheese, yoghurt and juices and extra things like cinnamon rolls, fruitcake and soda bread. On top of this mini-buffet, we also had table service for cooked breakfasts - including omelettes. My wife had an omelette cooked to order and I had a full Irish breakfast that was also freshly-made. We got a huge pot of tea, toast, more soda bread and by the end, we were all set for our journey home.

I have virtually no criticisms of the place. The shower head in our room was loose and we forgot to mention this to the landlady as we were leaving. The whole place appears to be run from the B&B next door, Killarney House, as both check-in and breakfast were there. And that's it; a great B&B with a gorgeous breakfast for a highly-competitive price. We'll definitely be back if we need a B&B in Cork - in fact it's probably preferable to a hotel in any case!

Room Tip: We were facing the car park to the rear and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed at this B & B after leaving a real dodgy one down the road. What a lovely B & B with the most gentle-natured hostess you could find. We were made very welcome. Our rooms were large & clean. Our hostess was very knowledgeable of Cork and advised us with sightseeing & eating out. All this made for a very pleasant adventure for first time Cork visitors. On one occasion she made scones for us on our return from a day sightseeing. What a lovely surprise. Breakfast was great and we were bade farewell by her and the staff as we drove on. I most highly reccomend this B & B to everyone travelling into Cork or holidaying through Ireland.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Room was spotless had everything you would get in a hotel, Hairdryer, teamaking facilities, shampoo / showergel

Room Tip: The front and back of this b&b has very busy roads that can keep you awake, bring earplugs. Also...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed here in early 2011
It was a pleasant place with really nice breakfast but one night was enough.
The walls are thin and we could hear all sorts of naughty night sounds as well as the man next door snoring like a rhino!
The place could do with updating,new carpet wouldn't go amiss and I prefer a bath. My bathroom was tiny and the towels so small and the room did have a rather musty smell to it but I booked the room last minute and it was only a small twin.
I like to come and go as I please without questions and inquisitions and I know its the Irish way but I didnt feel terribly comfortable with that.
I would stay here again but I would use the other property next door where its newly decorated and more apartment like.

Room Tip: ask for a bigger room at the back of the building on a higher floor.maybe look at the room before yo...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This bed and breakfast is close to Cork city center, quiet at night, and clean. The breakfast is delicious! The proprietor is extremely helpful. The maps available are very helpful, listing walking tours that you can do. There is a light outside the windows at night that was mildly annoying. It was red and made me feel mildly like I was in the red-light district, but it shut off by the time I went to bed (the B&B is in a good location so don't think that it's not from that description!) I would stay again if I visited Cork again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
dhahran, saudi arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We chose this B & B virtually at random off the internet two days before going to Cork. It was a gamble that certainly paid off. The place is very easy to find and the location is very good for the city centre. We were greeted by a very friendly lady who gave us the keys to our rooms - a single and a double. Each room was extremely comfortable. The single had a shower and the double had a jacuzzi-bath plus shower. The rooms were located at the back of the building and were very quiet. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection to choose from - cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, scones, toast and a full Irish breakfast with eggs cooked to order. Wonderful! After checking out at 11.00am, the owner allowed us to store our cases there, in a locked room, till late afternoon. A great place to stay. Friendly staff and a nice atmosphere. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dublin-Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed here on the way back from a family trip to Kenmare based upon previous trip advisor recommendations ,and it was an excellent choice indeed.
We recieved a lovely warm welcome and were made to feel at home immediately.
The rooms were spacious , exceedingly clean and had everything we could ask for .Obviously there is great care and attention put into this establishment as it felt homely and had benefitted from a personal touch in many ways.
We got a great nights sleep in very comfortable beds and awoke to one of the best breakfasts we had in a long time.I was also very impressed with the choice available as we were travelling with an 80 plus year old who can be ,understandably ,fussy at breakfast times.
I was really impressed by our interaction over breakfast with the lady whom I assume was the owner and she really went out of her way to point us to various things we should not miss in Cork before returning back to Dublin .
I must say I was somewhat surprised with the previous negative post considering what we had witnessed in this well run and very welcoming establishment .
However the world is full of all kinds of people and in reading the full message I wonder is this someone having their own personal difficulties. My findings were certainly more in line with all of the more positive comments made about this B and B .
We left not long after breakfast but in truth left happy knowing that we now have a lovely welcoming base to explore Cork from in the future.

We will be back

Room Tip: Be yourself and talk nicely to the lovely hostess!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Crawford Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!