“Great place to stay in Cork city.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Road | (Centre), Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 24 hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersGold level
Montana
“Great place to stay in Cork city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is a very nice hotel. It's in a great location with friendly staff and beautiful rooms. We enjoyed the restaurant and had a good breakfast there. It is very close to the university as well as walkable to the downtown area. Our room looked out over the river and some colorful, old buildings across the street. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Dear LuvIreland

Many thanks for your kind review for the River Lee Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Should you require any further accommodation in Cork in the future, please feel free to contact me personally where i would be happy to assist you with your reservation.

1,639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Wonderful view from lifts, and on each floor adjacent too it; with big round sofas to sprawl on. Which we did. :)

Nice bar, with local brews, tasty food and great staff. We never made it to the restaurant. Who needs a mini-bar, which there was, with a bar like that? Spent time in the Executive lounge where we marveled at how tidal the river Lee was, just watching the current flow while drinking juice.

We had room 546 "the one in the corner" and loved it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
MichelleSpillane, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear TCR_NRE

Thank you for your most kind review.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel. The glass elevators are indeed a key feature, which add to the modern, contemporary feel of the hotel.
I hope you get a chance to visit Cork again in the near future so please feel free to contact me so i can personally arrange your reservation for you.

cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to write this review....I have been meaning to do it for ages! I wanted to stay somewhere really nice for our anniversary last year......we picked The river Lee Hotel and were definitely not disapointed....firstly the Manager Ruairi O' Connor upgraded us to an executive suite....which had the most comfy bed....and access to the executive Lounge where you could have a cuppa while looking out over the city....we both had aromatherapy massages to start with in The Urban escape spa...bliss! We opted to add dinner in 'The Weir' restaurant to our stay.......the food was fantastic! Only one downside to our stay...after the massages....all the good food and comfy bed........all we could think about was sleep....lol!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear AngiedCork

Thank you for taking the time to complete your most kind review regarding your recent stay with us here at The River Lee Hotel.
It was my pleasure to be able to offer you the complimentary upgrade and am delighted that you enjoyed all the facilities of our fifth floor executive room and lounge
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and i look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future where i would be delighted to personally arrange your reservation.

Clane, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed here the august bank holiday weekend to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. The hotel is ideally located in Cork and is walkind distance (even in high heels) to many bars and restaurants.

We were a bit disappointed with the view as the brochure promises "stunning views" from every room, we got the service yard and the staff smoking!

The room was absolutely spotlessly clean, and as a house keeper in a Doyle hotel myself in a previous life believe me I gave it a good looking over. My only gripe was that the bed linen seemed a bit small for the bed, the undercover and sheet didnt fit the bed so it all lumped up when you slept......Am i being a bit petty?

The breakfast was delicious with a wide range of food available. However homemade muesli as it was stated on the card, should not come ready made from a bag, ( I spotted it being refilled on both mornings out of a foil bag).

The staff are nice and friendly.

The hotel on this occasion was full of families and lots of babies. Not really romantic.

But i would go back again if I was in Cork

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear Swellin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review for the River Lee Hotel.
I appreciate your feedback as it used as an invaluable training tool to improve standards and services at the hotel.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Our aim is to exceed guest expectations especially in relation to staff courtesy and friendliness. We care about our guests and are always actively looking for opportunities of how to enhance guests experiences.
I would be delighted to assist you with your next booking at The River Lee Hotel where i will look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We went to see Mama Mia, they offered a fantastic deal for the weekend which included the tickets to the show. The staff were so professional and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Each staff member has their name tag, where they came from both country and town, which I thought was really good. Another nice touch is that they serve breakfast up to 11am which when you have had a busy night out is great, and the choice for breakfast was impressive. All in all I would choose this hotel again and would have no hesitation in recommending to friends and family.
HM Bourke

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review. There was a fantastic atmosphere in the city this summer for the annual Marquee Festival which included Mama Mia and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here in Cork. I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future reservations.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Stayed in the River Lee Hotel in June this year and having been there last year and thoroughly enjoying it I wondered if perhaps it wouldn't be as good the second time around. I needn't have worried - it was great. I booked online and had booked a 2night package in an executive room, that included breakfast each morning and dinner on one night. About 2 days before we were due to travel I got a phone call from the Reservations Dept to confirm the booking and to see if I wanted to make a dinner reservation - I was delighted with the call, if a little surprised at their efficiency! I happened to mention in passing to the lady on the phone that the trip was to coincide with a concert at the marquee and a birthday. When we checked in I was given an envelope from the receptionist which was a welcome note and Happy Birthday card from the hotel. When we went to dinner that evening the waitress said - I believe Birthday greetings are in order - and then proceeded to bring a blushing me my desert with a candle on it! I think these little things are just a small example of how on-the-ball the staff at the hotel are, they have all obviously been trained very well in the art of customer service.

The hotel location is perfect. It's a lovely walk down to the city centre and there are some lovely restaurants and pubs along the way.

The room was great - internet connection was available via a plug in wire. Robes and slippers were provided as promised. Bathroom was huge with lovely toiletries. Bed was really comfy and room was quiet.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs and was lovely with lots of choices.

If I had to make one negative comment it would be about the Executive Lounge on the 5th Floor. This was a bit disappointing, The layout of it and the view from it were lovely but it seemed not to be cleaned or restocked on a regular basis. I also felt that the biscuits and juice selection available was quite poor and not really at Executive Lounge standard.

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel, it is very comfortable, stylish, ideally situated and has wonderful staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind review, I am delighted to hear your very positive comments
especially in relation to our staff. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto my team. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for your third visit which I'm sure will be a enjoyable as your previous stays. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next reservation and I would be delighted make the arrangements on your behalf.
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

This hotel has been by far and away the best hotel i've stayed in throughout Ireland. Myself and my girlfriend along with some friends arrived in Cork for a weekend not really knowing what to expect but thankfully from the moment we arrived we had nothing but a great time. The staff were extremely helpful and cheerful. My girlfriend and our 2 friends are extremely fussy eaters and the girl in the restaurant went out of her way to have the chef cook something up to suit them! That cannot be said for many hotels we have stayed in in the past. The fifth floor rooms were very well layed out, spacious, very comfortable and provided a great view of the surrounding city. I've even gone out and purchased my own Nespreso machine because of this hotel! Its safe to say i'll definately be back to this hotel as soon as time permits and i would definately recommend it to anybody undecided were to stay in Cork.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very positive review. I am delighted you and your group enjoyed the facilities available and that you had a relaxing break here at The River Lee Hotel. Please contact me directly when you are next planning a trip to Cork and I would be happy to personally arrange your reservation.
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Been to The River Lee Hotel? Share your experiences!