“Excellent hotel, with some minor faults” 4 of 5 stars

The River Lee Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Road | (Centre), Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Kilkenny
“Excellent hotel, with some minor faults”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed in the River Lee Hotel for two nights in late March to celebrate my 30th birthday. I will highlight the good first and there are many points on which the hotel should be commended.
From our arrival at the hotel all of the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The front desk staff we courteous and check in was very easy. The housekeeping staff we met in the hallway always said a pleasant hello and had a smile for us which makes all the difference. The hotel was immaculately clean and everytime we came or went there was always someone cleaning somewhere whether it was the glass windows of the lift or the beautiful, contemporary lobby. The hotel itself is beautifully presented, the room, the lobby and bar are all very well appointed, its is very apparent that this is a relatively newly refurbished hotel. Finally a point I need to mention is the breakfast spread we arrived to each morning-it was a fantastic selection in a buffet style. There were two particuarly friendly staff members at breakfast, the French chef (at least he sounded French!!) and an American waitress, I am so bad with names but it may have been Katie I think. Both were so friendly and chatty.
The leisure centre is also lovely. I didnt bother with the gym while I was there but I am a bit of a gym bunny and had to stick my head in just for a look and the equiptment looks to be top class. I did use the pool and despite it being quite small it is clean and warm and so too are the changing rooms.
But no hotel is perfect and there were some faults too. First is the size of the executive room, from what we could tell there was no difference between this room and any other room in the hotel. Also we ordered a taxi into town on our first night and had to wait twenty minutes on it despite it being a quiet sunday night. Surely the hotel has more than one taxi firm at its disposal-we were told five minutes. We also assumed from the information on the website that the hotel had wireless internet throughout but this was not the case and you had to sit by the access point and plug in the cable to avail of it. Furthermore while breakfast was comprehensive we frequently had to ask for some of the items at the hot breakfast bar such as hash browns, mushrooms, bacon etc which were allowed to run very low.
Also the local 'undesirables' gathered to drink cider both mornings on the river bank adjacent to the breakfast lounge and also overlooked by the executive lounge. Therefore we frequently found ourselves trying to enjoy our food to this inappropriate scenery. While I know that is not the fault of the hotel, it was far from a high point in our eyes.

As for the spa we went to the spa and had a couples massage and I had a manicure and pedicure. The spa itself is beautiful and relaxing but my massage was quite light and despite asking the therapist to go harder it was not much more than a rub. However my partner was quite happy with his massage and it was his therapist that did my lovely mani and pedi so I guess its just a case of who you get really. However for €180 for an hours couples massage both people would expect to get what was paid for.

I know I have highlighted a few faults but these are more just suggestions to management on different things but I'm sure they've probably had those points highlighted to them already.
To the general public looking for a hotel in Cork City, i have to say that overall it is definitely a hotel I would return to. The staff, the location and the overall feel of the hotel are great and I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and your kind comments in relation to our staff and facilities.I will pass on your feedback to my team. Please contact me personally if you are planning any future visits to Cork or if you require any further assistance.
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
county clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

we arrived in the afternoon after travelling from clare my daughter and i when we got to the check in desk we were met by a very helpful member of staff we had two double beds in our which were very comfortable the reason i chose this hotel was because my wife had an operation in cuh and found the hotel location great i cant fault this hotel on anything my wife has to go to cuh for a check up in 6 weeks and i look foreward to staying at this hotel again

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you and your wife had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Please contact myself directly when you are planning your next visit and I would be delighted to arrange your reservation. We look forward to welcoming you back to The River Lee Hotel in the coming months.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

A group of us stayed here for a girls night out, and everyone really enjoyed their stay. I have stayed at most of the other higher ranked hotels in the Cork area and this would be my first choice on a return to Cork.

The bedrooms were spacious, fresh, clean, modern, good quality, some of our rooms had really nice views. The beds were comfy, and had lovely crisp white bedlinen, comfy pillows. Plenty storage space, a flatscreen tv, radio and cd player, mini bar, tea and coffee making facility. The bathroom was lovely, with underfloor heating keeping it warm and cosy, a bath, a large shower enclosure, plenty space around the sink. There was free underground parking. Breakfast was gorgeous – buffet cooked breakfast, with nice addition of pancakes with maple syrup, cereals, croissants, scones, brown bread, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, meats, cheeses, choice of juice. Tea and coffee were served promptly and additional requests were accommodated by cheerful staff who were extremely helpful.

Your room card is needed to take the lift upstairs, which is a nice security feature, and people arriving back to the hotel need to provide their room number/name to security staff (if you can remember your name/number after a Cork night out!). The hotel is maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk to the Grand Parade/Patricks Street. Taxis were organised promptly and cheerfully by reception. Overall, staff we dealt with were friendly and welcoming, and really made the effort to look after guests. I would stay again because I liked the relaxed, friendy ambience, the high quality of the rooms, the great breakfast, and the fact that the hotel does pretty good deals with breakfast included. I have stayed in other city centre hotels in Cork and think this Jurys hotel is far superior.

Our only mishap in the hotel was an unexpected delay on check-in – Earliest check in time is 2.00pm, so when we arrived at 3.30 (which we thought was early) we were told our rooms weren’t ready – it took a bit of time to sort out but we were given complimentary tea and coffee while we waited so we appreciated that. Some of the rooms booked were triple bed rooms, this was confirmed by the hotel a few days before, and this appeared to be an issue of confusion on check-in (perhaps because there were limited rooms available), a twin room request was dealt with by offering a double bed room. Non smoking rooms were requested specifically and smoking room offered which wasn’t an option due to allergies/asthma problems. I just felt that there were a shortage of rooms/delays in housekeeping, and in attempting to deal with us it was a case of sending us off to whatever was available which irked slightly, being your initial experience of the hotel. I'm glad our stay made up for this minor problem, and we will definitely return :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind review. I am very pleased that you and your group were so happy with your stay and enjoyed the hotel facilites and the Cork area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you are next travelling to Cork and I would be delighted to personally arrange your reservation.
Westrook, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Okay place to stay if you are traveling to Cork and you want a good location, a nice room and very modern look. The restaurant was adaquate if a little expensive for what was given. The bar is fantastic and a nice place to stay and watch the people. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manger at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favourable review. I am delighted that you would recommend our hotel to others for a visit to Cork. If you require any assistance with future booking then please contact me directly.
Tipperary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Booked this hotel with Supervalu tokens and was so happy I picked this one. Fabulous. I absolutely loved everything about it. Lovely and new and modern. And the location is brilliant. Would love to go again. It's a perfect hotel for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and your very positive feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Should you be planning any future trips to Cork then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Kind Regards
Clonmel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

This hotel is definitely one of the best I have ever stayed in. It is in a great location just a short walk from the city center, free private parking and absolutely spotlessly clean. The staff could not have been any more helpful or friendly, the rooms are very clean, comfortable and a good size even for a standard room. The breakfast was perfect a massive spread for all tastes with a very comfortable and friendly atmosphere this hotel in a nutshell is perfect and everything you find here is of the highest standard and quality. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cork.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to our team. If you require any assisitance with future reservations then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed at this Hotel last weekend. I must say that all the positive reviews were correct. From check in to check out every staff member was a credit to the Hotel. Car parking was always available in the underground car park. The location was great only a 10 min walk to the City Centre. All in all a "LOVELY" Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind comments in relation to our staff and facilities. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us. If you are planning a return visit then please contact me directly and I would be happy to arrange your reservation.
ruairi_oconnor@doylecollection.com

Been to The River Lee Hotel? Share your experiences!