“Tickety-boo... elegant and great location” 5 of 5 stars

The River Lee Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Road | (Centre), Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Kenmare, Ireland
“Tickety-boo... elegant and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

The Jurys Cork (Doyle Collection) not the Jurys Inn, is a lovely hotel for busines or a weekend break. My room had every gadget or comfort and a lovely bathroom. The gym and pool attached were top notch. This is a civilised hotel for the discerning traveller. You pay for what you get. Some rooms overlook the canal which adds to the ambience. Underground parking. Free Wifi. Bistro meals were good. Handy location for the court house on Washington street and the city centre. Paradiso vegetarian restaurant nearby. Would definitely use again for business.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to Cork. Should you require assistance with any future reservations then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Kind Regards
Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

Excellent accommodation, excellent breakfast, everything was great.

Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you are planning a return visit.
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

First thing to realize is that there are TWO Jury's Cork hotels. We ended up going to the other one first before realizing that we were registered at this hotel instead. This was a good thing.

This hotel appears to be brand new and is very modern. Here were my observations:

Staff & Check-In Process:
The staff was very cordial and responsive to us during the check-in process. The first room we were given smelled like smoke and they changed us to a cleaner room without issue and very quickly.

The room:
The rooms are not huge, but are comfortable, with and LCD tv, and a decent sized bathroom.

The location:
You're only a few blocks away from St. Patrick's St & the heart of Cork City. There are plenty of things do to & see within walking distance.

Parking:
There is a large underground lot on the grounds, which is great for parking. I can't recall if parking was free, but if not, it was reasonable.

Restaurant:
Only had breakfast at the hotel, but the service was very good and the food was as expected for irish breakfast.....delicious.

Overall impression:
If I ever come back to the home of my ancestors (Cork), I'm staying at this hotel again. It was beautiful, comfortable, and in an excellent location. I recommend it.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your kind comments in relation to the staff and hotel amenities. When you do get a chance to return to Cork, I would be delighted to personally arrange your reservation here.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

This hotel is very comfortable and in a good location but is let down by the smaller details. Check in was very efficient and the room on the executive level was very comfortable, spacious, lovely bathroom and espresso machine was great. The executive lounge wasn't as great, everytime i went in there were one or two dirty tables. I was told that it served refreshments and pastries all day but the pastries were taken away at 10.30 and only cookies were there for the rest of the day.

The facilities in the hotel are great, and the hotel is exactly as in the pictures. The problems i experienced were when i had to ask for something, it was as though everything was a large problem for the staff or they didn't know how to do anything although most were very pleasant about it. When trying to book an appointment in the spa i couldn't get an answer so i asked reception could they book it for me, i was told no as it is a different company. Fair enough but it is a hotel spa!

Trying to order from the 24 hour room service menu was a bit messy, none of the food on it seemed to be available and when i gave up asking for things and just asked what was available, i was told only sandwiches. I asked about ordering wine but whoever i was speaking to didn't know anything about wine and told me i would get a call back. No call ever came but 40 mins later the sandwich turned up with a bottle of red, although i wanted white. The porter was very nice in correcting this and the sandwich was lovely but had i realised nothing else was available i would have planned to eat out.

On my last morning i had breakfast in the room which arrived lukewarm and twenty mins earlier than i had requested. I also asked for beans which were covering everything on plate, i thought given that this is a four star hotel they might manage to keep the beans separate, at least for the sake of presentation as it was very messy. Coffee was completely cold but i had the espresso machine, if i didn't have that i would have sent it back. The complimentary newspaper included with the executive room never arrived, despite being asked on check in which one i would like. Check out took 25 mins with queuing and left me almost 10 mins late for my spa appointment which resulted in a part of my treatment being cut.

All in all i think this hotel is in a good location and looks lovely but if service or assistance is important to you i would look elsewhere. I would only recommend this hotel to people who were literally looking for a bed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that so many aspects of your stay were below par during your stay. I appreciate your feedback and have discussed the issues raised with my Operations Team. If you would like to discuss the matter further then please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Kind Regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I stayed here the weekend before Christmas for two nights and had the most amazing time. I agree with the reviews previous that I also did not have the most amazing view from my hotel room - but my partner and I decided to utilise the sofa in the elevator lobby which had amazing views of the city. Food in the bar was not of an amazing standard but still edible and at a good price. Will definitely be staying here the next time I visit Cork.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us in Cork. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly when you are planning your next visit and I will personally arrange your reservation.
Kind regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend got a very lovely xmas present of a 3 night mid week stay in Jurys Hotel Cork this January. We were very much looking forward to it as we had heard great comments. Unfortunately it did not quite live up to our expectations, I can understand that alot of the things that we found as the hotels down fall could be related to the fact that our stay was straight after xmas and probably an off peak time of the year.

When we arrive check in was very efficient, hotel room lovely and clean, unfortunately it was such a pity about the view, our room over looked the back yard of the hotel, this did not annoy me so much, but it was very disturbing in the mornings while the staff were going in and out dragging the trolley cages along the ground, it sounded like a building site early every morning, not very relaxing, but it got us up early for a swim, leisure facilities were fabulous, it was great to have the luxury of these facilities right beside the hotel.
On the second day of our stay we went for a walk just before lunch time when we returned our room had been cleaned and was spotless, we were relaxing in the room when we heard a knock on the door I shouted out,"just a minuete" got up and was walking towards the door when it just opened, one of the staff were standing there with a clip board, she apologised and explained that she was just checking if the room was cleaned properly, I dont normally have a problem with this but her entry was so sudden she had only just knocked, barely giving me enough time to get up, it could have been a very embarassing situation.
Breakfast in the mornings was a buffet, plenty of choice and the staff were very helpful and pleasent, as where most of the staff during our stay, one in particular a young blonde polish girl with glasses, unfortunately I can't remember her name I think it began with an "I" but I couldnt be sure, she served us most times we ate in the hotel, very impressed with her level of customer service.

Also included in our package we were given a voucher for a evening meal with our stay, the first night (Monday) we went down to the restaurant but it was closed? so we went into cork and had a nice meal there, planning to use our voucher the following night. The following night we went down to the restaurant and it was closed again, we were redirected to eat in the bar, (so much for our idea of a romantic dinner) when we showed our voucher we were handed a special menu, which had very little to choose from, especially for me as Im a vegetarian, there was not even 1 vegetarian main course, I mentioned this to the waitress, and she said that there was the possibility that they may have some vegetable ravioli, feeling a bit dissapointed about the lack of choice of the menu we decided against eating off it and ordered something small off the bar menu instead. On our final night we went down (again the restaurant was closed) and decided to use the voucher, we got the same menu (the one with a limited choice) and I again asked about the vegetarion option, I was given the bar menu and told I could choose from the vegetarian options on the menu, all two of them 1. Irish cheddar and vine tomatoes on cibatta bread and the other a mediteranen roasted vegetable wrap with hummus, both of these sounded very lunchy but I choose the vegetable and hummus wrap, unfortunately the main courses came before the starters, then when I asked about the starters I was given them to eat with my main course! and the biggest dissapointment of all was my wrap consisted of a tortilla wrap with half an aubergine and half a courgette in it, no hummus??? needless to say I didnt even eat it. we stayed and had a few drinks afterwards, the atmosphere in the bar is quiet and nice, but once returning to our rooms I felt unsatisfied and still quite hungry, I rang room service(24hr apparently) and asked if we could get some mashed potatoe (they make very nice mashed potatoe), to which I was told "Sorry madame we do not have mashed potatoe" so then I asked for onion rings possibly, to which I was told "Sorry madame we do not have onion rings" so I asked what they did have " just fries, madame, just fries, the room service menu is a bit misleading as chef is gone we have just fries" I'm sure the member of staff did not mean to come across rude, but his tone was quite condescending...so room service was not appealing, decided to have a drink from the mini bar diet pepsi, only after I had drank it did I realise that it was out of date since the beginning of December. Not quite acceptable for a four star hotel.

During our whole stay I didnt make any complaints, but since returning I regret it, our stay could have been a whole lot more enjoyable if certain attention was paid, small gestures such as a smile from staff would have helped to make a difference. when things worked out well they were great but when they were bad, they were awful.

I don't think I would stay here again, but if I was to I certainly would choose to stay during a peak season.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to see that some areas were below par on this occasion. If you would like to discuss the matter in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Also when you are next planning a visit to Cork I would be delighted to personally arrange your reservation.
Kind regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Nicely decorated rooms but unfortunalty the food lets the place down. Would expect a better standard from such an establishment. The breakfast was pretty standard too.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
OrlaOCallaghan, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our bedroom amenities. However I am disappointed that the food and beverage experience did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss the matter further or if you are planning another visit to Cork then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
ruairioconnor@doylecollection.com

Been to The River Lee Hotel? Share your experiences!