“PERFECT” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Maynooth
“PERFECT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed here for three nights city break. This Hotel is one of the best. LOCATION:5 mins walk from Cork City centre, sights, parks,bars, restaurants, all within walking. COMFORT: Hotel is spotless, bedroom also spotless, breakfast fantastic selection, sets you up for the day. STAFF: All Reception, Bar, Cleaning, Catering staff, were extremely good mannered and helpfull and are a credit to this Hotel. EXTRAS: Free WiFi and free underground parking. I will stay here on my next visit to Cork.

Room Tip: Front Rooms have a lovely view of the River, and are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear NoelRyan,

Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely comments of your recent stay with us. We have a great lcation here in the city only minutes walk into the heart of Cork City Centre and some of the unique attractions only Cork has to offer. I am delighted you felt the hotel was comfortable and has some great complimentary extras such as wifi and underground secure parking for guests

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a work trip and really enjoyed my stay. I had dinner at the bar (I was recommended to eat at the Bar instead of restaurant by a local as the food is for some reason better at the bar) and tried the Buffer breakfast - food was really tasty (and I am a fussy eater). Big clean room, very comfy bed (again I am fussy when it comes to nice comfy mattresses for a good night sleep) and bathroom had both shower and bath (separately). They had the iron box and the iron board in the room so you didn't need to request it from front desk. I didn't get to try the leisure centre and the pool, but it looked good. Would definitely stay here again if I am at Cork again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Thusha4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork. I am delighted you found the food in our hotel to be very tasty. Our breakfast is one of te best in the city with an amazing aray of dishe available for guests to choose from such as fresh fruits and yoghurts to of course the wonderful hot breakfast.

I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

WillDowling
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I travel a considerable amount and generally stay in business hotels. This one is no different. The location is so so. The hotel itself is extremely modern and the 38 million investment is certainly great. But why anyone would put that much money into a hotel and not put a personality into the hotel is beyond me.

The executive floor with "executive lounge" is an absolute waste of money. Don't bother spending it if they ask you. The executive lounge is useless with water, biscuits and coffee. No alcohol and no decent snacks. Also apparently the only floor with King size beds is the 5th. I was a little surprised at this, but that's what they told me at reception. I double and triple checked....

The gym and pool is part of a public complex. So there's no privacy there. Don't expect a quiet or relaxing swim. Lots of people!!!

The general decor of the hotel is cold and could certainly have benefited from somebody with a little taste in art. Seemed to be the usual interior design stuff you see in personality-less hotels these days. Again, no finesse. A shame to spend that money and not go the extra hog.

The rooms are big though and comfortable if you get a king bed.

The staff in general however were brilliant. Actually they made the hotel with a really friendly and caring attitude.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear WillDowling,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel. We appreciate all feedback we receive from guests whether it be positive or negative.
I am delighted to see you found our team so friendly and caring. We have a wonderful team here at the hotel and they are one of our best assets.
I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the Executive Lounge. Our Executive Rooms are the only rooms we would have that would consist of a King Size Bed, Bathrobes, Slippers and Nespresso machines. All of our other rooms would vary between Queen Size and Single Beds depending on room type.
I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you backto the hotel in the not too distant future.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Omg what a amazing hotel, me and my partner travel to many hotels and lets just say we like perfection, we booked a executive suite room 429, the room was fantastic, you could not fault it, we certainly wasn't disappointed, the first night we decided to eat in the restaurant, the staff are trained in a boot camp, could not fault the service and the staff couldn't do enough for you, the food Jesus it was amazing, a award goes to the chef that night, couldn't wish for a better anniversary meal, thank you,Irish people certainly have the charm. We returned to the room everyday from being out to a very spotless and clean room. On departure we realise we had made a little mistake and our flight was an hour earlier then we thought, so no time for breakfast, so mention this to reception and got us take away bacon sandwiches and latte ,perfect,, thank you for the best stay ever and a perfect anniversary

Room Tip: Room 429 must be the best room in the hotel and be warn hotel drinks can be a little expensive, that...
Dear caroline m,
Wow what a fantastic review! Thank you so much for all your kind words. I am delighted to see you had such a wonderful stay with us recently. I'm delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and found the food to be amazing. Our Executive Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised some wonderful mnues with and amazing array of locally sourced food for guests to enjoy and delicious, full flavoured meal!
Congratulations on your recent anniversary and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Thurles, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my staff at the River Lee Hotel and I found it a wonderful hotel, staff could not be more friendly and helpful, food in the Weir bar was lovely. Would recommend hotel to anyone and will be booking our girls away weekend again next year..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joan O,

Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely thoughts of your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted you and your friends had a great weekend away. We always have some fantastic offers available so please do not hesitate to give us a call for the next weekend you are planning.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the not too distant future,

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked the spa package weekend in the River Lee hotel which also included an evening meal. There are probably cheaper deals in other hotels, but I doubt that you will get better value than the River Lee. This hotel does everything right, and all of the staff are professional and friendly.

When we arrived, the hotel gave us a room upgrade because we were celebrating an anniversary so we had a beautiful view over the Cork city and the river. The room itself was very nice as well.

The food/drink/leisure center are all outstanding. Another plus is that the city center is only a short walk away. The breakfast deserves a special mention. It is a buffet breakfast, but the quality of ingredients was exceptional. A great variety of food, and all top quality produce.

The only small issue that we has over a memorable weekend away (and this happens in most hotels) is that the room key stopped working at 12 on the day of checkout, even though we had arranged for a late checkout. This is just a tiny issue and it did not change our impression of the hotel (I just wish that hotels would allow for an extra bit of time before room keys are deactivated)

Room Tip: I doubt that there are bad rooms in the hotel, but try for a room with a view of the river
Dear Ballyv24,

Wow what a great review. I am thrilled to see you had such a great stay with us! I am delighted to see that you had the opportunity to avail of our Spa Package. This is a wonderful package which include 1/2 nights bed and breakfast with spa treatments and also a 2 course meal! This is just one of our many packages. I do hope you enjoyed the Executive Floor and that this added to the celebration of such a special time for you both. We do try to ensure that guests have a memorable and luxurious stay with us and we do try to highlight special occasions happening whilst staying with us.

Elk Grove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed at the River Lee Hotel in March for a business trip, and I had a mixed experience. On the one hand, the room was clean and comfortable, but nothing extravagant, and the bar area was quite nice. However, my shower lacked hot water on most days, and they decided to replace the hallway carpet during my stay, which made for an interesting experience.

The gym is adjacent to the hotel, but it is not easily accessed from the hotel, so I had to exit through the lobby and enter next door. The employees at the gym seemed to be annoyed with the hotel customers, and the gym was extremely crowded.

The lobby staff were superb. They were extremely helpful and friendly, and they were probably the best part of my stay. They went out of their way to provide excellent service whenever I had any interactions with them. In hindsight, I should have approached them about the (lack of) hot water situation.

I would definitely stay here again, as it's probably the best alternative in Cork. However, comparing it to other accommodations throughout the world, it's certainly not a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear sacleonard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork. We appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests. I am glad you found our Lobby Team so friendly and helpful and should you have an issue during your stay they are more than willing to help and resolve it immediately to ensure you have a memorable and enjoyable stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Ruairi O'Connor

Been to The River Lee Hotel? Share your experiences!