“One night business trip” 5 of 5 stars

The River Lee Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Road | (Centre), Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Galway, Galway, Ireland
“One night business trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed one night on business. Very happy with hotel, clean, comfortable, professional and helpful staff. Great breakfast. Ideal location for visiting University College Cork, with parking. Happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Request room on the front, for a great view of Cork
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share such lovely compliments on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am thrilled to see you had a wonderful stay with us. We are only a 3 minute walk into the centre of UCC and only 7 minutes walk into the middle of the city centre where you can visit The Old English Market, Crawford Art Gallery, Cork Opera House and many more attractions around Cork City.
I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
We love to hear from guests when they are coming to stay again, so why not keep in touch on Facebook!
Warmest Regards
Ruairi O'Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Very good hotel and the staff are very professional. Food ,breakfast in particular was excellent. Downside was that Cork has a different school mid term to many other parts of Ireland and our kids were unable to use the pool after six during weekdays. Bit of a pain for them but not tragic.

Our room ,was at the side of the hotel and had no view to speak of. More importantly it was directly over the service entrance and we were woken every morning by the melodious sound of trucks reversing into the bays. Can't remember the room number (lack of sleep) but do ask before you book.

The area around the hotel is student land and we were there during Rag week. There were signs on the lamp posts indicating "no rag week activities in this area" but they were fairly harmless bar the odd drunk passing.

Overall a good visit notwithstanding Cork's normal rain. The people do however make up for the weather.

Room Tip: Do not take a room over the service entry.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ruairi O, General Manager at The River Lee Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am delighted to see that you had a lovely stay with us and that you found our staff very professional. Our breakfast is one of the best in the city as we have such a wide variety available to all of guests from fresh fruit and yoghurts to a full Irish breakfast or why not have a freshly made omelette or perhaps some homemade pancakes!!
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you as a result of any noise from our service area. I will ensure to speak with all of our suppliers to ensure that guests are not being disturbed by deliveries coming into the hotel.
I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for the Easter Holidays. Be sure to call us directly as we have some very special offers for families for the Easter Holidays.
We love to hear from guests when they are due to stay with us again so why not keep in touch on Facebook!
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Ive been meaning to do this for quite some time but kept forgetting. I have stayed in this hotel almost weekly for a year and hold it as the yardstick by which other hotels should conduct their business.

The River Lee simply put ticks all the boxes that a hotel of its kind should tick. I could go on an on about each individual item but they are all either excellent or good. For the sake of efficiency I will point out some of the main highlights.

1. Firstly their breakfast spread is quite simply the best I have ever experienced in any hotel and it is down to both the variety and quality of their ingredients. For example, they don't just supply standard black pudding, they clearly source a specialist one hoping customers will notice, well we do notice. This is true of everything else at breakfast.

2. Decor, cleanliness, comfort - all surpass expectations with a massive and noticeable effort made around holidays like Christmas and valentines etc.

3. Location and environment - best location in the city with a warm inviting atmosphere

4. Staff - I cannot compliment them enough, but an insight into them suggests to me that they are a very happy bunch. This comes across in their dealings.

5. Restaurant. - excellent with a huge choice of well thought out dishes, well presented.

The River Lee was an oasis away from home for me for over a year, my job has changed now and I'm not covering the area but I'm sure I'll be back.

Room Tip: River view rooms are always nicer.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rory H.,
Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am thrilled to read such comprehensive comments on your stay. Our team here at the hotel were thrilled to read your comments. We are very Proud of the service we provide to our guests.
Our Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and his team have devised an amazing menu which we serve in both our Bar & Restaurant catering to all dietary requirements and sourcing the freshest ingredients from local suppliers.
We are renowned here at the hotel for the breakfast we serveto our guests. It offers such a wide variety from cereal, nuts and fresh fruit to the Full Irish breakfast with a choice of eggs and also freshly made omelettes and pancakes.
I do hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Why not stay in touch with us on Facebook where you will find great offers and competitions for the hotel.
Westmeath, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had our second stay in The River Lee Hotel, Cork mid-week last week. It was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Check in was quick, our room requests were met with a positive response from Deirdre at the front desk. We got a lovely room on the 4th floor overlooking the river and the city. The room was spotless and comfortable in every way. The highlight of the stay for me was the breakfast. A wonderful selection of cold and hot buffet choices, from fresh fruits and smoothies to the usual "cooked Irish". I cannot comment on the food quality in the bar or restuarant as we chose to eat out each night. I would highly recommend this hotel, for business (it's main customer base) or leisure travellers looking for a quality, quite stay only 10 minutes walk to the hustle and bustle of Cork city centre.

Room Tip: Request a room over looking the river or city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and we are always thankful to receive the compliments. I have passed on your lovely comments to Deirdre and she was thrilled to receive them. Our team is proud of the service and experience they provide to our guests.
We are renowned here at the River Lee Hotel for our breakfast as we have quite a variety of fresh fruit, yoghurts, pastries and boasts a wide range of hot dishes for breakfast.
Why not keep in touch with us on Facebook as we love to hear from previous guests and when they are staying with us again.
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Enjoyed a stay here recently. Room was nice, though a little small. Hotel is lovely and very convenient for going out and about in Cork city. I have to give the breakfast a special mention. It was fantastic with a very wide choice of hot and cold food. Also, the bed was very very comfy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel Cork.
I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are only 7 minute walk from St.Patrick Street and easily accessible to a lot of the main attractions in Cork such as The English Market, Crawford Art Gallery and The Lewis Glucksman Gallery to name but a few.
I do hope we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to our hotel in the near future.
We love to hear when guests are coming back to stay with us so why not keep in touch with us on Facebook!
Limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second stay at the River Lee hotel & this time was just as good as the last! We stayed with our two boys aged 9 & 5 and they loved it! When we arrived yesterday we were offered hot towels to refresh - a lovely touch. The receptionist was friendly & noted that we had two children with us but there was only one extra bed in the room that we had been allocated so she immediately changed us to a room with two double beds, room 333. This room was so warm, comfortable & immaculately clean with mini bar, great hair dryer, wine glasses, ice bucket all provided and there's ice machines on every floor - so handy! Our bathroom had a bath and a separate shower - with a really powerful shower head too - fabulous! There's speakers in the bathroom too which is great.
Breakfast this morning was just second to none. An array of fresh fruit & nuts/seeds, breads, cereals, cheese, hot food etc available. It was so delicious & the restaurant staff were so efficient & friendly. All the staff were great & so friendly, a credit to management.
We were offered bottles of water on checkout for the journey home - again a lovely touch. Free parking is such a rarity in city hotels these days it was great to have that included too!
I actually can't speak highly enough of this hotel, we all had the most enjoyable, relaxing stay - which was the whole purpose if it - so we cannot wait to go back! Planning our next trip already!!!

Room Tip: Definately a river view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of The River Lee Hotel on Tripadvisor during your recent visit to Cork.
I am delighted to see that you had a great stay with us. We here at the hotel are very proud of our breakfast we serve as our Head Chef Shane O'Sullivan and the team have come up with a fantastic range and variety of dishes that can be gotten from our amazing buffet. Guests can choose from fresh fruit and yoghurts to a full Irish breakfast or why not have a freshly made omelette or perhaps some homemade pancakes!!
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.
We love to hear from guests when they are due to stay with us again, so why not keep in touch with us on Facebook!!
Kindest Regards,
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights while I was visiting my son who is going to school in Cork. I very much enjoyed my stay and was comfortable. The hotel is centrally located in the town and within walking distance to a lot of the things you will want to see. It sits along the river, next to a main road. It is a tall modern structure that stands out among the rest of the local buildings. The lobby is large and attractively decorated in a modern style. My room was very clean, well maintained and spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed. It was mostly quiet, except for my last night there when apparently someone checked into the room right next to mine - I could hear her coughing and also hear the tv on in her room. There is a good restaurant on site. I had Sunday buffet breakfast there, which was good (but not excellent). I also got a massage and a manicure in the hotel spa. The spa is decorated in a glamorous fashion: deep purple, black and lots of glitz. My aesthetician was friendly, but just okay (my cuticles still looked rough after the manicure, and my massage was more uncomfortable than relaxing). The reception staff was attentive. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and definitely stay there again. (Reasonably priced, as well).

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The River Lee Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to see that you had a great stay with us. We are a mere 7 minute walk into St Patrick Street, which is the main shopping street in the city centre. We are also within walking distance of UCC, Cork City Gaol, Cork Opera House and the Crawford Art Gallery to name but a few attractions of the city centre.
I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
We love to hear from guests when they are due to stay with us again, so why not join us on Facebook where you will also find great offers and competitions!
Ruairi O'Connor

Been to The River Lee Hotel? Share your experiences!