“lovely Christmas weekend break with the family” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Food & Beverage Credit
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Cork
cork
“lovely Christmas weekend break with the family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

we stayed here Christmas weekend 2012 with our 2 children,it is a lovely hotel,food really good,staff very friendly,great location right in centre of the city.I would say that it was a bit chilly in the hotel atrium area where you'd go to relax and sit with the kiddies and my husband said the pool was FREEZING as the reviews had said in a lot of the December reviews.I would defo stay there again tho and as I said the staff are a credit to the place.

Room Tip: always after staying in a suite somewhere I think the regular family rooms are weeney
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Coleendelux,
Thank you for posting your review, we trhilled with your comments regarding the hotel and certainly take on board the comments regarding the temperature of both the lobby and the pool, these issues have been addressed we can assure you, the staff love to hear good reports and pride themselves on their friendly smiles and welcome to the guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Sunday night, having an early meeting in Cork the next day. The room was very acceptable but I would have issues with the cleanliness of the bathroom as there was a layer of dust on the shelf over the toilet and smudges of shampoo/soap on the tiles which clearly hadn't been washed and rinsed properly. The tiles in the shower looked like they needed re-grouting but i think a good scrub would have actually solved the problem. For €90 room only on a Sunday night I'm not expecting 5 star, but clean, comfortable and good service are essential. Bathroom cleanliness is a basic.

Bar food was very nice and service form one of the waitresses was excellent, she made a great effort and was excellent. Her colleague however was not at the same standard and left her smile at home on this particular occasion. The menu in Kudos is Asian with a few European dishes included, both meals were very tasty and nicely presented and good value for money.

I was surprised to see 2 guests on the corridor smoking, something you just don't see in Ireland anymore and disappointed that they felt it acceptable to do so. I'm not sure if these guests were irish or not and either way its difficult for the hotel to patrol but I didn't see any notices anywhere to say smoking was prohibited in hallways etc and apart from reception staff and staff in the bar there was very little presence of any other staff anywhere in the hotel.

While the room was absolutely fine I'm not sure whether I'd choose the Clarion again if I'm staying in Cork. Charging for overnight parking in a car park underneath the hotel is something I think the hotel should either include in the price or incorporate themselves as many people feel that hotels should provide parking FOC. I also felt that the hotel lacked the lovely welcoming irish ambiance felt in many hotels I have stayed in and I think cork hotels are especially welcoming but the atmosphere and welcome were deficient.

These are nit picky criticisms I admit but they are the factors which will influence whether I return to a hotel or try somewhere else the next time I'm in the area. All these issues are easily solved with time and effort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear J Dowling,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am sorry that you had some issues with your stay, we do welcome your feedback and will pass on your comments regarding the room cleanliness, I was happy to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant Kudos, yes we agree, a smile however, is of the utmost importance. On investigation we have discovered that those guests were using electronics cigarettes, we know this, as our manager on duty that evening checked this out. The carpark that the hotel use is a public carpark and we subsidise the cost to our guests in order to keep the cost down, just to let you know. These are all valid points you have made and thank you, this assists us to improve our standards for our guests. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and would ask that you contact me directly so that I can ensure your stay is trouble free.
Warm regards, Maureen Buckley Guest Relations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Sorry to say that this hotel has gone well down since I last stayed here. It used to be very organised, great food and service but after last weekend i definatley wouldn't send my worst enemy. The river lee up the road is much better quality and seems to have a better clientel.+ I don't think they charge for parking like the Claron which is 10 euro a day.
We booked a triple room and when we arrived they only had us down for a double. They did get the a room sorted very quickly but I think it would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor as the third bed was a creaky campbed. What really stood out to me compared to the last time I was there was the amount of hen and stag parties that were there. It may have been that they were just so busy but it really didn't seem that they were able to cope with the demand. The meal at the bar, the service was very slow, they forgot one of the meals and it took a half hour to get the starter for one of us when we were about to start our main meal.
We were on the first floor and as it is nearer to the bar you would expect to hear more at night, but screaming and laughng could be heard up to 6am. The room servce was none exsistant and we had to order a pizza from outside the hotel, yet it says room service 24 hours a day. The included breakfast was a joke. The restaraunt was completely full and they put extra long tables in the foyer near the lifts. Now i wouldn't have cared only we were assured that there was a full service out there but despite asking three different staff and one of us going to speak to the manager, we couldn't get a cup of tea until we had finished our breakfast. I would advise if you want to stay there, don't get the included dinner, go next door to the bordwalk for an early bird(more pricey but worth it) and forget the breakfast, there are loads of places around cork withinn walking distance which you can get a hearty Irish breakfast for what Ireland is famous for. I recently have moved home to Ireland after decades away and I was embarrassed thinking of what tourists must think if they stay at the Clarion...I would be ashamed if I was the manager there. Please tourists, there are loads of B&B's around too if you want a proper Irish experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you try and get a room as far up the tower as possible..away from the noisy residences bar
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Ah0x,

Thank you for taking the time for writing your review on Tripadvisor. It is very disappointing to see that your experience when staying with us was not a positive one. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcoming in service which you experienced and I would welcome the opportunity of discussing it in person with you.

As reviews are posted anonymously on Tripadvisor I do not have your name or contact details to use as a reference so would ask that you contact me by emailing guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com or calling the hotel directly on 021 4224900.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback which I look forward to having the opportunity of discussing and reassuring with you of our commitment, to our service standards and our customers. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to the Clarion Hotel Cork.

Kindest regards
Valerie
Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Highley recommend this Hotel, Cant find any fault with it, staff are very friendly, especially Anne Marie in reservations, she made my booking for a group of 20 very easy, A pleasure to deal with. rooms lovely, and the breakfast is very nice and only a 5min walk from the city centre. Iv stayed in a lot of hotels in cork city but this is by far the best, and this is prob my 8th time to stay in this hotel and not once have i had any complaints about it. thanks again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gholmes78,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much here at the Clarion. It is great to hear that you found our staff so welcoming and helpful I have passed all your great comments back to the team, who were thrilled to receive – especially Anne Marie.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork in the near future at which time I will personally ensure you all have another fantastic stay.

Warmest regards,

Valerie Forde
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is my first time staying at the Clarion and it was a very plesant experience. I visited Cork on business, arrived late and was very warmly welcomed by the desk clerk. Check in was very fast and in a blink of an eye I was all set and off to the room.

My room 301 was fairly large and had been adapted for handicap access, but was warm clean and if a little tired looking was still of a high standard. Can't say that I was overjoyed by the 90's tiling in the loo, but hey ho for the price I paid it wasn't going to lose any sleep over it.

The downstairs bar is pretty modern and inviting. The Guiness was delightful and the staff were efficient and attentive.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on all your positive feedback to our staff and the management team, we value all feedback, we do hope to welcome you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork, in the near future.
Guest Relations Manager.
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Clarion Hotel, Cork, a few times now. Each time, we receive a warm welcome, check in is smooth, and the rooms are well appointed, many with views over the River Lee. Very centrally located for visiting the city. We would highly recommend it when visiting Cork City.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay and we appreciate your regular custom, the staff and management are dedicated to your comfort and enjoyment at the Clarion Hotel Cork, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we take all feedback very seriously and pass on all comments. We look forward to welcoming you again to saty in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for a Saturday night to view an exhibition at a nearby Art Gallery. Great location as close to shops and restaurants, underground parking and very friendly staff. Very reasonable rates in February.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, feedback is very important to us and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, the management and staff are dedicated to making our guests comfortable and relaxed, we look forward to welcoming you back to stay, in the not too distant future.
Warm regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Clarion Hotel Cork? Share your experiences!