“Lovely hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and was very impressed with the feeling of space and comfort. The hotel is approx 5 mins walk from the shops, pubs and cafes in Cork and very convieniently located for the bus station and regular buses to the airport. I had emailed ahead to ask if we could have a river view if possible, which was accomodated. Was very pleasantly surprised to find we had a balcony, which would be really lovely in the warmer months of the year. The beds were extremely comfortable and we were glad to have an opening window (a rarity in modern hotels) as the room was very warm.

A real thumbs up should be given to the staff of this hotel; our booking was fairly complicated due to some of our party arriving a day earlier and others departing a day later. This made check in 'fun', however the member of staff who served us was really good humored and when he later saw us in the hotel asked if we were ok and needed anything. Equally on check out we had picked up a room service charge (I very rarely use room service). The immediate assumption from the receptionist was that it was not our fault and an apology was forthcoming. Not sure how the charge was made to our room when it was a room service item which clearly would have been delivered elsewhere but there were no issues whatsoever with having this removed from our bill. It's the little touches that make a difference.

If I had one minor complaint it would be that we didn't really enjoy our lunchtime sandwich in Kudos. The service was also a little surly, but hey, everybody has a bad day now and again!

Overall would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again on my next visit to Cork.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view - these rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Reachforthesky,

Thank you for taking the time to write your very kind review and for sharing your experience with us. I know all the team read the reviews and will be delighted to hear your comments.

I’m delighted your entire group were well looked after by our staff, who are the hotels greatest asset.

However, I am disappointed to hear about your experience in Kudos. Please accept my sincere apologies and I assure you that I have already taken action on these issues. If you would care to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com

I am looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Clarion, in which I will ensure you have another fantastic stay. Keep in touch by following us on Facebook, in which you will receive our exclusive special offers, enter our competitions, and receive regular news updates.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my girlfriend during the Christmas holidays. We decided to treat ourselves by booking a suite.
Have to say the experience was fairly ordinary. The hotel would be fine if staying in Cork city centre on business, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want that "hotel experience" on personal trips.
For the price we paid to stay in a suite, there were a few items that cannot be overlooked
- antiquated heating system that wasnt working very well and not very configurable
- hallways looked grubby and worn
- only one hours extra free parking in hotel car park after checkout (despite spending €340 on room plus drinks on previous two nights)
- one remote control for two tvs in the suite

I'm not usually very picky on things but when spending a few extra quid you expect extra quality which wasn't the case here.
Won't be rushing back to the Clarion next time I'm in Cork.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Analogy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am very disappointed to hear that your experience when staying with us was not what you expected. I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback, and to assure you that I am personally looking into the issues that you have outlined.

I would very much like to speak with you directly to discuss your experience further. As reviews are posted anonymously on Tripadvisor I do not have your name or contact details to use as a reference so would ask that you contact me via email guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com or directly on 021 4224900.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback which I look forward to having the opportunity of discussing with you and reassuring you of our commitment to our service standards and our customers.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future at which time I can show you what better service we provide.

Warmest regards,

Wicklow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Very good central location within a short walk of Patrick's st.
Rooms are nice and modern.
No iron but kettle and a mini bar.
The pool is very small and claustrophobic.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
The bar food (Thai style) was pretty good. I liked the fact they put calorie count on the menu although I'm not sure how scientific it is!
Overall a decent hotel in a good location without being spectacular.

• Stayed December 2012
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Arthursbunch,

I would sincerely like to thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review. Thank you for your very positive comments about our hotel, Kudos, and I am especially delighted to hear the staff were so welcoming to you. It is such great feedback like this that makes our job worthwhile. I have already passed on all your feedback onto all the staff, who where thrilled to receive it.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed for 2 days at the clarion. Lovely rooms, nice bar, made you feel very welcome. Right by bus station. Very good location near all shops and bars. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Catch bus 215 to blarney castle 10 minutes outside cork. Worth the visit.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Donna250,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for writing your wonderful review about our hotel. I know that my team read all the reviews too and they will be delighted to read yours. I am delighted that our staff were friendly and engaging throughout your stay. It is great that you got time to explore Cork, and it sounds like you had a really good time, which is good to hear.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Was in the Lovely Rebel City of Cork for a family do...and was told to stay in the Clarion by my father in law who has stayed before.

Pros....

Great Central Location
The 2 rooms were ready for us Early Doors
Modern rooms with a double and single bed in each. 3* plus quality and size.
Very large bathroom.
Lovely Spa and masseurs in house
Very large gym downstairs
Helpful staff who worked hard to make our stay perfect

Cons

Its one of those Hotels who want to make ever penny (or punt) out of its bar and open areas. So much so that they put the needs of the people coming for their Xmas parties in front of the poor people staying in the hotel at the time !? I have never witnessed the scene of Residents being moved to eat food in the reception whilst the bar was empty because all the tables were reserved for the people coming to the party later. Truly shocking
The Party then extended into the main area of the hotel which caused a huge noise problem for anyone staying in the hotel...as other people have complained about previously.

Sadly it seems the Hotel is more need of this extra money than its core customers...

Other Cons

No Rads or towel heaters in the large bathrooms....so if you get caught by the Cork weather or need to dry the swimsuit, good luck getting the clothes dry!
The Coldest Swimming pool in Ireland....with the same daft hat rule.
The Breakfast was very poor due to the industrial heaters being used to keep the food warm were too big. Also mixing the bacon and sausages into the same huge heater gave the kids a great game of "fishing" for what they wanted for breakfast. They did a great a great chilli and cheese and cheese omelette though.

So....a bit of a downer really. I always say the most important thing about a hotel is it's staff....but with its "Make the most of everything we have" attitude sadly this place won't be seeing much more of me. I've already booked the River Lee for my next stay.

Room Tip: Don't get one of the back facing ones...you get a view of Corks 2 sex shops !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chastoursdotcom,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review & for all your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear that you feel there were more cons rather than pros during your stay. I applologies for any shortcomings or service issues and I assure you that I have already taken action on these issues. If you would care to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me via email guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com

However, I am delighted to hear that all our staff were very friendly and engaging at all times.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future at which time I can show you what better service we do provide.

Warmest Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I work for a cosmetics brand and spend the majority of my time on the road. I live in hotels!!!!

The Clarion Hotel in Cork is like my home away from home. I would visit Cork every week mainly due to the comfort and level of service I receive at the Clarion. From the moment I arrive I am met with a pleasant smile and a warm welcome.

The rooms are always to perfection and the beds unbelievably comfortable. It is a real chore to get up for work in the morning. However that feeling soon passes when greeted by the morning staff and the beautiful buffet breakfast.

This hotel is full of personal touches , my favourite being the bottle of water I receive as I check out! So thoughful!!!!

I can not compliment the front of house staff in this hotel. They are more than helpful and take the time to come say hello and make sure you are enjoying your stay.

I wish there were more hotels in Ireland to this standard at this price range!!!

Markxx

Room Tip: I have never had a room here that has not been comfortable !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
guestrelations101, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Cork, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear MarkR,

Thank you for taking the time for writing your amazing 5 star review. It is always a pleasure having you stay with us here in the Clarion Cork and I’m thrilled to hear that we are able to make it your home from home.

It sounds like you enjoy all our extra touches, which is great to hear. I know all the staff read the reviews. I know that all the staff read all the reviews too and they will be delighted to read yours.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Yet another lovely stay in this hotel.We were in the company of two other couples we had our dinner elsewhere but we were more that happy to return to the hotel after our dinner to relax and enjoy atmosphere in the hotel bar.There was a band there but it was nice back round music and not intrusive to our conversation.The breakfast is fine array of food and well worth getting up for.
I would not have a problem in booking other Clarion hotels from what I have experienced to date.

Room Tip: I would recommend booking an external facing room for fresh air and a balcony for views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear P J M,

It sounds like you and your friends had a great night, which is good to hear. Also, I’m delighted to hear that you especially love our great breakfasts.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Clarion Hotel Cork? Share your experiences!