“Really nice room, warm and helpful staff, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Lancaster Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Road | Lancaster Quay, Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Potsdam, New York
“Really nice room, warm and helpful staff, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed for four nights during the June heatwave and was initially worried about the lack of air conditioning. However the window opened very wide and I looked out over the river and had good breezes. The bed and pillows were comfortable and there were excellent restaurants, bars, and shops nearby. The breakfast was also good. I would definitely stay at the Lancaster when I visit Cork again.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over the river have a pretty view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
LancasterLodge, General Manager at Lancaster Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Delia 25,

Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay in Lancaster Lodge and we are delighted that you got such good weather during your visit to Cork and that you enjoyed your bedroom view. I will pass on to all the team that you had a great stay and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at this Hotel very recently on 2 separate nights. The first night I had prepaid via a travel site, but the second time I booked and paid for a double room myself. When I arrived for the second night I was asked for my Credit Card for a Pre Authorisation payment of 126 Euros, when I queried this I was told it was to cover room service drinks etc. When I went to pay the next morning I paid for the room with a Credit Card, and asked about the Pre Authorisation payment, as we'd had no extras I thought this would be refunded, but I was told this would take 10 days to clear. I queried this, as I'd never had anything like this happen in any other Hotel, but they insisted. Back home, 2 weeks later and with no sign of the money being returned I emailed the Hotel, in all I emailed 3 times, finally I was told it wasn't up to them to refund the money I had to contact my Credit Card company which I did. The Credit Card company finally explained, that in effect the Hotel had blocked credit for 126 Euros, this was usually done by Car companies, but was now being done by some Hotels and it was to cover any damage that might have been done!
It took me 3 weeks to sort this out, and I felt the Hotel were very underhand, if they had claimed damage had been done to the room after we'd left, what redress would we have had? I would not recommend this Hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LancasterLodge, General Manager at Lancaster Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

In relation to your recent review we would like to correct you on a number of points as we believe you have unfairly misrepresented the situation as it occurred. Firstly on your second stay with us on check in you were asked for a credit card so that we we could take a pre authorisation in the amount of your stay which was 126.00 Euro. This is standard Hotel procedure and best practice all over the world it ensures the card holder is present and allows the Hotel to verify that the funds are there to cover the guests stay. On check out the pre authorisation would be used to complete the sale in the amount of the guests stay but in your case you decided to use a different credit card which you are perfectly entitled to do to pay the 126.00 Euro for your accommodation. The amount of 126.00 on the the original card presented on check in and not used by you on check out can be held for varying periods by different guests Banks and is completely out of our control. In our e.mails to you we clearly explained how this situation had arisen and even got our own Bank to send an e.mail outlining how the preauthorisation system works for credit card holders. We at all times have made every effort to be as helpful as possible in explaining this to you and are genuinely disappointed that you posted such a factually incorrect review.

Yours Sincerely,

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very pleasant stay. Room was first class and location gives good access to the City.

I drive a coach and thought parking would be a problem but this turned out to as easy as anywhere I've stayed in a long time.

Staff very helpful. Would stay again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Pete,

Glad to hear you liked our location during your stay and that we were able to accommodate your coach. Thanks for taking the time to put in your review it's great for all the team to get customer feedback. See you on your next trip to Cork.

Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here one night. I had a room that had one twin and one double bed. I slept in the twin and it was quite comfortable. Small TV mounted on the wall. The room does not have air conditioning; however, it does have a large window that you can open. I did ask for a fan to circulate the air and they did not have one available. That would be my primary complaint is that it would have been nice to have a fan. I was reluctant to have the window wide open as it looked out over a roof on the first floor and from a security standpoint it was a concern.
Overall a pleasant stay, wireless internet, great breakfast, walking distance to restaurants and bars, overall felt safe. Most likely will stay here again the next time in town and no regrets on that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor if you want the window open and not on the street side.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

When I booked this hotel online I thought it was too good to be true. It really was excellent value for the price we were paying for bed and breakfast. This hotel is a short distance from Cork city centre and it has free parking! Brilliant start. The breakfast is freshly cooked. The room, while dated, was an excellent size, bathroom clean and room spotless every day. The staff were friendly and very helpful. To note this hotel does not have a bar but this did not influence my feelings on the place! I knew what I was getting!
Added bonus....there is a vending machine which is perfect for midnight snacks after a few sociables in the many great bars in Cork. Cannot see myself staying anywhere else when I return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cormac,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such positive feedback on your recent stay. I am glad that you found the Lancaster Lodge good value and that you enjoyed our breakfast options. Hope to see you again soon in the Lodge.

Susan Leahy.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

After trekking round the Dingle, staying in B&B's, it was a pleasure to check in here - spacious room, nice bathroom with rain shower, canal view, easy walking to restaurants and shops, quiet at night. The staff were helpful and professional and the included breakfast excellent. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms can be hot in summer, but our 3rd floor was cool and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LancasterLodge, General Manager at Lancaster Lodge, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review for your recent stay.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.

Warm regards,

Susan Leahy
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed in the Lancaster Lodge on sat 21st June 2014 excellent location close to city walking distance to everywhere so close. Staff were excellent friendly and coureous will be staying there again whenever I go back to Cork

Room Tip: Great great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review for your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff, and that you found our location central. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.

Warm regards,

Susan Leahy

Been to Lancaster Lodge? Share your experiences!