“Value for money from attentive staff” 4 of 5 stars

The Gresham Metropole Cork
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   MacCurtain Street,, Cork, Ireland (Montenotte)   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Cashel, Ireland
“Value for money from attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I wanted city Centre during a tech conference and The Gresham gave me a compact room that enabled me to buy my fair share of rounds during our evening discussions. I enjoy the character of the hotel because it's owners have respected the fabric of the building while keeping its rooms clean and functional.

Some on Foursquare note how the hotel attracts a lot of over-50 guests. During my stay, several busloads of 30-something hens arrived to reduce that age cohort. And based on what I heard through the walls, these women are physically active.

The in-house exercise facilities encourage a different kind of activity and I wish I had brought my gear with me. But that would have limited my early morning session in the resident's bar so I am glad I stayed unfit.

Breakfast was bright and airy with the most attentive staff I have seen working floors, tables and service area. They followed the excellent example of the manager who seemed to be everywhere.

Based on my experience with the hotel, I think I will book a return with my family so we can watch Cork come to life some evening with the hotel's view of the River Lee.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in September and had a very pleasant visit. Located just across the river from the main shopping area, the Gresham is convenient for exploring sites on both sides of town. Parking was included in a garage just down the street and our room (which was in the "modern" part of the hotel) was small but very clean and had a view of the east end.

The dining room overlooks the north side of Cork and here we enjoyed dinner one evening and both breakfasts - the latter was fresh, plentiful and served mostly cafeteria style. We stopped by the hotel bar on both nights and were impressed with the friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere.

The hotel is showing its age in places (aren't we all!) but is certainly worth considering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

If one desires to be in the real mix of the Fest, this is the place to stay. Very busy and lots of fun. Three venues on the property itself. Music was in the air. Opportunity to hear a great band and share a pint with the musicians at the bar.

Staff at front desk and bar were nonstop busy. Regardless of the masses, service delivery was outstanding. The smiling staff truly added to the wonderful experience.

The room itself was simple with no frills. Who cares? Only went there to sleep. One housekeeping issue was brought to their attention and was that was immediately addressed.

Good times...

• Stayed October 2013
Dingle, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for our sons graduation and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at this hotel. We found all the staff very friendly and the hotel itself central. Breakfast was good and again served by very friendly staff. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Room was a good size, clean and well kept. The hotel is in a good location, pretty close to everything and is quiet. The breakfast isn't that great, cooked well enough but far from a traditional Irish breakfast. That said there is a reasonable amount of choice and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here solo while visiting friends. I got a great deal online so I was pleased

Hotel staff and bar staff are friendly. Rooms are a mix of old fashioned decor and modern touches. (The shower was great!)

Breakfast was buffet style and operates extended hours at the weekend which is great. Some dishes are available if you ask for them. I did feel there could have been more fruit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am very disappointed after my dinner at The Met bar and restaurant of the Gresham Metropole.
I am just back home and I want to write the review right now.
Me and 5 friends of mine went to have dinner there, food was just average,not bad, not really good.
Then my fiancee joined us arount 9 30-9 40 and he asked the desert menu,and the reply was:"kitchen is closed, and to be clear chef left so no more food available tonight".
I think is simple unbelievable, I go to have dinner and nobody advise me to be fast to eat my food(and the food didn't come fast at all)if I would have the chance to order a dessert.
I suggest to avoid this place, food is nothing special, beers are so so(I ased to the waiter to change muy Ale as it tasted bad), service is nothing special and chef is lazy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Roger R, General Manager at The Gresham Metropole Cork, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments. I was disappionted to read that we did not meet your expectations. Could you please contact me directly so that we may discuss further?
Regards
Roger Russell
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Been to The Gresham Metropole Cork? Share your experiences!