“Best Bang For Your Buck In Cork” 5 of 5 stars

The Gresham Metropole Cork
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   MacCurtain Street,, Cork, Ireland (Montenotte)   |
Ranked #13 of 22 hotels in Cork
Naas, Co. Kildare
“Best Bang For Your Buck In Cork”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Really nice Hotel located right in centre of Cork and close to the Rail Station. Great rooms and first class breakfast with great view of the River Lee. Sampled the Bar Menu and it came up trumps on both occasions. Friendly staff which helped to make the stay very pleasant. Tom, Naas.

Room Tip: High floors have a great view in Cork
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Gresham Metropole Cork, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking. Regards Roger Russell, General Manager

565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Mountbellew
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I found this a very comfortable hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful and it is so convenient to the bus stop and the city centre. Car park a bit of a walk away though. The weather was fine when I stayed there, but I would not fancy puling a case after me through the rain. Bit pricey having to pay €7.50 even though the hotel validated the parking ticket.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Navan, Co. Meath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Myself and my better half were in Cork for the weekend and chose the Gresham at random, no specific reason to stay there. We were not disappointed.

The location was perfect, in the heart of the city, everything on the doorstep, pubs, restaurants, clubs etc.

The hotel was excellent. Everything you would expect for the Gresham name. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was perfect with a lovely, invigorating shower.

The breakfast was spot on, with extended breakfast times. Nice to see they have come with the times with this extension, breakfast until 12, Noon is excellent.

We didn't dine in the hotel other than breakfast.

Parking was only 2 mins walk for the hotel and an added bonus that they took care of paying for the carpark through our room bill, this saved potential messing in the carpark with tickets/change, nice touch.

All-in-all an excellent weekend made better by this excellent hotel, we will certainly be back :)

Room Tip: Room 319 is perfectly located. Right outside the lift entrance and at the stairs entrance too. No no...
Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed one night and the room was great. The bathroom was clean and large with a huge shower. We were pleased with the staff as well. We had a small problem with our tour company and Rachel at the front desk was very helpful making calls on our behalf. Full buffet breakfast was included and was quite good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are a bit noisy at night due to traffic and rowdies.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Gresham Metropole Cork, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I am really surprised at all the good reviews here - really really surprised and here's why...

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Four nights of my life spent in this was enough to age me prematurely.

I had to get up from this awful place every morning and go to work. Every morning I left in a bad mood thanks to the cumulative effect of the metropole's 'charm'. It is an old, depressing, badly run business with staff that look like they hate both the customers and the place. Let me go through my experience.

The crawling creaking elevator is a joke and I actually resorted to the stairs as it was quicker ( I was on the fourth floor). The hallways smelled really bad. The room looked ok at a glance until you start looking closely and see that it had never been properly cleaned the dirt just moved around the room. The room I stayed in had no aircon so I had to open the windows. The room faced out on to the river side and I was kept awake all night by traffic and the drunken screaming of a congregation of local alcoholic drug addicts who hang out by the recycling bins across the road. I actually videod this to show friends in case they didnt believe me. Wrestling with the shower in the morning was really annoying it was either freezing or would take your skin off. Breakfast was disappointing and thrown out by staff that just didn't give a damn. They were more concerned with getting your room number than actually saying good morning or how are you. The car park situation is also a mess. It is not even connected to the building. They have to show you where to go on a map and then you have to drive around the block to access. They even gave me wrong directions to this.

Checking in and out was painful - on check in there was one very stressed guy attemping to help people but actually just making everyone feel really uncomfortable and unsettled. All receptions need at least two people at all times for efficiency. When a girl came back off her break the guy that was serving me left me and went to the girl to show her how much work he had done on his own In her absence and used expletives to emphasize how busy he had been. He then messed up my card authorisation and told me at length what the implications of this would be. To be honest I didn't really care about this as I was tired after a hard day and needed to check in and relax. I also wrote my alarm clock call time on my check in form but for four days no-one ever rang to wake me; automated or otherwise.

Checking out the woman printed the wrong recepit for me and was complaining about me distracting her when I asked her for take-away breakfast as I was late due to all her flapping around and messing.

This hotel is creaking with age and the service is appalling. I will never ever stay in proximity of this place again. Truly awful experience and needs to be levelled, rebuilt and restaffed. avoid this place - spend a few more euros on the Clarion across the road...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Could you please contact me directly so that I may discuss further?
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Booked this hotel for a weekend away for my parents recently. THey have been raving about it since. Whilst it may not be the biggest most impressive hotel it offers top class services and quality rooms and food.
My parents found the staff to be very helpful but not over the top, there when you needed tem but not over selling which can be the case these days.
The rooms and beds were comfortable and the location an ideal base for trips around cork city and county, particularly if you are heading to Cobh/Youghal direction.
Food was top class so much so they had breafast and dinner on site on both evening.
Well done Gresham Metrople

Room Tip: they have some great weekend offers on their website and the telephone reservations assistant (who...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Westmeath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

As many reviewers have pointed out, this is a very quaint comfortable hotel. It offers 3 star accommodation for 3 star prices. It is not a 4 star hotel, and perhaps some expect it to be so. I have never found it 'run down' or 'tired'. Last week it was €100 per person cheaper than a cork city center 4 star hotel, and i would rather spend that saved money drinking Beamish. And the best of all.....a large pot of coffee at breakfast for the coffee drinker.! Why some hotels think that coffee drinkers are happy with a thimble cup in the morning is beyond me. And it is a GREAT breakfast. Staff are all genuine and the hotel bar is a good spot too. You will not find better for cheaper.

Room Tip: Ask about loyalty offers (LOY)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Gresham Metropole Cork? Share your experiences!