“An Interesting Place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Butter Museum

Butter Museum
Shandon, Cork, Ireland (Shandon)
Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 81 attractions in Cork
Type: Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Tel Aviv, Israel
26 attraction reviews
“An Interesting Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was an interesting place. I was disappointed though that in order to make butter, you have to make a reservation. So perhaps that is valuable information for those interested in going to this museum. Call ahead to reserve a spot to make real Corkonian Butter.

Visited June 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
85 attraction reviews
“was expecting so much more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Although this museum really does take you through the history of butter in Ireland, there are only a few artifacts and a couple of videos here. We were expecting a lot more (live demos, samples, anything), so you could say were were disappointed.

Visited June 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Great for those who think 'A butter museum? I must see this for myself!' as I did”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have wanted to go to cork for years and as my congratulations present for my GCSE results, I got tickets for a long weekend in cork! When I started googling places to visit, I came across this museum on Google maps and made it a personal mission to find it. As we only had one full day, we spent it in cork, then the Sunday we travelled back in limerick. so we decided that with such little time, we should go on the bus tours of cork, of which there are two and we pulled up and parked for 5 minutes and when I looked up, there it was, a tiny little place in a village called Shandon. All there was, was St Annes church, The Firkin Crane (yes, we laughed, too) and some coffee shops. The museum itself has 2 floors of the history of butter making, locations it was made, where it was shipped to, how it was made, different labels-any information and statistics about butter was there. it was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be considering my motivation was to prove that such a museum exists, and this jolly old man runs it. it is definitely worth a visit, but keep your eye out!

Visited August 2012
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While visiting on our honeymoon we visited this site on the recommendation at our B&B. The gentleman at reception let us in for free as a congratulations on our wedding. He then gave us some history on butter in the area and offered to take a few photos for us. He really made the experience special. As for the museum itself, it is tucked in off a Main Street. It offers a lot of artifacts relevant to the era and butter making. Plenty of photos to view and a couple videos to watch. Learned a lot about the history.

Visited May 2013
Greenlawn, New York
21 attraction reviews
“KerryGold”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Who knew there was even a museum all about butter. The displays were well presented and the video explaining the importance of butter in Ireland was extremely well done. A good place for a rainy day, if needed. It is right near St. Anne's Church.

Visited May 2013