“fun and a little scary” 4 of 5 stars

8-Day West of Ireland Tour from Dublin
Ranked #14 of 185 things to do in Cork
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Corks Most Captivating Experience:A step back in time to see what 19th/early 20th century life was like-inside and outside prison walls. Historical experience brought to life with amazingly lifelike figures, furnished cells, sound effects & fascinating exhibitions.
cork
7 attraction reviews
“fun and a little scary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Me and My husband child and my baby went to visit...we all got our audio and went on the tour..the family loved it...it was a bit spooky but that was the fun of it...it got scary though when all of a sudden my then 9 month old freaked out in one of the rooms and was shaking with terror..i kid you not !! she leaked her fresh nappy and only stopped crying and shivering when i left the room we were in and i changed her in the bathroom downstairs..i had to change her on the sink area as they dont have a changing facility. My husband and me were looking at each other after the event and said that was the weirdest thing we had ever seen, the 9 month old was actually totally frightened in that room we continued with the tour and she was fine again..spooky but fun..

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Cork, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
“worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Even though I am from Cork I6 did have trouble finding the place. The first time I tried I followed the sign posts which pointed up a one way street, I obviously couldnt go that way so I ended up getting lost. The second time I asked people I knew first and they told me to head to 'Annies Pub' and turn left there - this was perfect. The building itself is very impressive. The teenager on the reception was very friendly and polite. We took maps and showed ourselves around which I prefer. The entrance fee was high though as its quite a small place as a lot of it is closed off. It was €8 for adults and €4.50 for children, I think €5 for adults would have been enough. Some signs in the building showing how to follow the numbers on the map would have been helpful too as I think I completly missed the radio museum. It is worth visiting though as what has been done is impressive. It would be lovely on a summers day as they have picnic tables available in the grounds. No tea rooms though.

Visited January 2013
Cork, Ireland
40 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Visit only if you have ample time or really interested in Irish history or prision's. I visited it with my grand father who is wheel chair bound. We had a fun and educational hour of strolling around with our head sets which are provided listening to the prisioners cases and punishments. However there was no wheel chair access to the second and third floor. This attraction is very accessible from Cork city, with stunning views over the city. If visiting make your way to the prision through Cork University or Fitzgeralds park.

Visited December 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
“Interesting visit to old jail.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Visited on a freezing Sunday in January. Wrap up warm - the heating is minimal ! The audio guide included with the admission price gives a good explanation about the history of the building and its inmates. There is also a audio-video show which gives further explanations about how the building fits in with Irish history, without taking any political sides. Well worth a visit - its only about 15 mins walk up from the city centre. On a clear day the views would be impressive.

Visited January 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Corporate dinner in Gaol!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Quite a venue for a dinner. Food very good in unusual setting. Atmospheric and good views.
Worth a trip though not sure what else there is to see in Cork.

Visited November 2012