“The Victoria came through for us!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Victoria Hotel
You added Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
Patrick Street, Cork, Ireland (Centre)   |
Ranked #60 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Athens, Georgia
“The Victoria came through for us!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed at the Victoria for one night in July 2010 when stranded in Cork following a disastrous rental car experience with Hertz (avoid the Cork Airport Hertz like the plague, seriously!). It was a cold and rainy Sunday night, and after hours of stress with Hertz, we realized our holiday plans were changing! We were looking for a welcoming, warm and clean room for the night and that’s what we got at the Victoria. It was listed in the Lonely Planet guidebook as mid-range, which is accurate. Keeping in mind you get what you pay for, the hotel is quirky, with sloping floors, lots of corridors and steps, which reminded us of the hotel in the movie the Shining. The reception was very friendly and made helpful suggestions about getting around the city. Our room was basic, but very large with a TV. The bathroom was clean and there was soap, which other reviewers stated they did not get. We paid 70 Euros for the night, which included breakfast for two. The breakfast was good, with selection of hot and cold food and good service. Once we realized we weren’t leaving Cork (thanks to Hertz), we did upgrade and relocated to the Imperial. But if you are looking for a budget hotel in a great location (really, the location is superior) and you can tolerate some quirks and character, this is a great option.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Friends had stayed last year on a shopping trip to Cork. They said it was basic but perfect location. I usually read up on where I am going to stay, but UNFORTUNATELY I didn't on this occasion. The hotel is absolutely perfectly located on Patrick Street in the middle of the shopping area and perfect for dropping back with your bags every hour (if you booking for this reason), BUT, we wanted to stay overnight only. Receptionist very pleasant and efficient. Checked into our room, I didn't mind the labyrinth of corridors to get to the room, it is an old building after all... but the stink on the various corridors on the way to the room was desperate - cooking smells, smoke smells, grubby smells . You get the picture. The room itself was large and basic, bed appeared clean on first inspection. Bathroom basic, shower worked well, but badly broken tiles on floor and YEARS of dirt along the walls and in the corners. I feel itchy just thinking about the place. Couldn't bring myself to go down to breakfast and checked out and ate my breakfast elsewhere that was clean and inviting. I half expected when we came back to the hotel after our night out, that the bed would have been used by several people making a few bucks! (I don't think it was!!). Upside of this hotel is it is extremely central and the security at night to get back into the hotel was good. But this is all I can say. Would not stay there again, do your own research, and believe the bad reviews. They are absolutely true. !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I had recently been told we were staying at this hotel by my friend who had booked the trip and upon reading the reviews i was horrified at what i had read and was really worried about staying here! Upon arrival we were greated by a grand staircase, so not bad to start with, we got into reception and yes it was a bit drab but no way near as bad as the reviews had made out, we were booked in by some really friendly staff and told which way to go, yes the hotel does have some narrow corridors but then again it is an old hotel upon entering our room we were met with clean beds and an amazing sized room, we didnt have enough towels and after reading a review on here that some one had to ask 3 times i was worried but we got ours ASAP! the bathroom was ok and clean and had a shower curtain, the shower didnt have much adjustment but worked! The resteraunt did smell a little greasy but the food was fine and the service was great! At the end of it all i only paid £55 for two nights and breakfast, i can see how people who have paid full rates can be annoyed but its no where near as bad as everyone makes out, i have actually stayed in worse Travelodges in the UK and paid alot more for the privalige. Dont come to this hotel expecting an amazing decorated palace, i found the corrider that one review said stank like urine but the reason it smells is because it leads off the area where the toilets are for the hotel and the bar! if you dont like the smell dont use the stairs, use the lift right next to it! it works and it doesnt smell!!! This hotel is perfect if you want a city centre location that you can put your head down for a night! Im glad i went now and would recomend it, the reviews on here can be far too harsh!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chesterfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I booked this hotel for a four night stay in mid June, I then read some of the reviews! I was dreading my stay there. When I arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. My room was adequate, the bathroom was clean and contained a bath with a shower over. The choice of breakfast was good and well presented. From my point of view the only downside was the steps from street level to the reception area (because of the layout of the adjoining buildings their is no other option).
Although the building is tired, I enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We arrived in Cork very early in the morning for a funeral, and after a night of travelling and needed to freshen up and get changed. Considering we werent staying in this hotel we popped in and asked if we can use a room so we can get changed etc and instantly the staff gave us a key to a room and let us have full use of their facilities without any charge. We were so appreciative of their fantastic hospiltality, we will definitely be staying here in the next visit. Thanks to all at the Victoria.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Winchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I usually check hotels on TripAdvisor before booking, and wished I had before ending up in this place. It was chosen from a web search for its central location and what seemed a good rate of €49 B&B. On arrival I was asked to pay before seeing the room, which I would not normally do but it was late and would have been difficult to find an alternative. The room was small, smelly, poorly furnished and decorated and looked as if it had not been cleaned in years. A mesh of cobwebs covered the entire ceiling. There was mould on all the bathroom fixtures, the towels were worn and ripped, and no toiletries were provided - not even a bar of soap. The carpet was stained and sticky, I had to put sheets of paper down anywhere my feet made contact.

I had planned to have breakfast but the smell of stale grease coming from the breakfast room was so overpowering that I swiftly left and found a nearby cafe. Cork is a great city in a beautiful part of Ireland, it has plenty of good hotels but this is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Tipperary, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my husband and 4 friends for one night and it has to be the wosrt place i have ever stayed in my life. as we entered the maze of corridors to our room the smell of stale cigarette smoke was disgusting. our room was a good size but the decor was old and out dated. the tiles along the sink in the bathroom were all burnt from cigarettes. the shower had no temperature control so it kept getting hotter so u could only stay under for 5 mins max. the stairs going down to the lobby had a really bad smell of urine as if someone had gone to the toilet on the carpet we had to hold our nose and try not to breathe. in my friends room the wardrobe door had fallen down and there was a copy of the golden pages holding the wardrobe up. we didn't stay for breakfast it was a quick getaway!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!