“OK but overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Co.Clare
“OK but overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

I stayed in the Redclyffe for 2 nights as I was working in the city for 2 days.It was the cheapest B&B I could find-I paid 80e for a single room with breakfast both morn.I did appreciate the free parking which is in front of the B&B and I cannot fault the area-its safe and not noisy yet still central enough to walk into town.The couple who run it are lovely as well-very genuine and obliging people.There was a good choice for breakfast-you could have the cooked option and there was a selection of cereals, fresh fruit,soda bread and yogurts.My room and ensuite were spotless too.

I felt that for the price however the place overall was not up to standard.Its generally quite an old fashioned and slightly run down house.The walls of my room were paper thin-I could hear the people in the next room talking and I thought the people in the room above me were going to come crashing through the ceiling-I could literally hear every footstep.I would imagine that if the place were busier or if there had been people coming in late (I was staying midweek) then the noise would carry very easily and it would be quite difficult to sleep.Also, the website advertises 16 channels yet I only had the standard 4 and the shower never got completely hot just warm.Now I know I sound like I'am completely nit picking and if the place was cheaper I would be singing its praises but I just felt kindof hard done by considering the price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Redclyffe B&B is a great place and bargain for the money. If you are looking for a 5 star Regency, this is not it. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay, with a good breakfast, this is the place. The owners, Mick and Maura, were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, warm and very nice. This house was most likely built to house Cork Univ. Profs. many years ago, and shows signs of character. Everything was serviceable and met our needs beautifully. It is across the street from Cork Univ. and a brief walk to the City Centre. My wife and I will stay there again, and will recommend this to our friends. Best wishes to Mick and Maura. Thanks for an enjoyable time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kerry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I had a wonderful stay in Redclyffe - I stayed for 2 nights during September and although this was during the busy tourist season, the staff went out of their way to make my stay an enjoyable one. Within walking distance of the city and still outside it - a really enjoyable experience and would thoroughly recommend it to anybody looking to stay in Cork city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
westchester, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed at the Redclyffe for 3 nights in April. I couldn't have been more pleased.
The place was immaculate, the bed was cozy comfy.
The owners were lovely, caring ,helpful, and jolly.
The shower was delicious.
Breakfasts were home-cooked to order.
The location was near the University about a ten minute walk from the center of Cork.
I read some iffy reviews beforehand, I don't understand what they were about.
I loved the place, the Sheehans and Ireland.
As I said before. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Niedersachsen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I stayed one night at Redclyffe and enjoyed my stay very much. I had a very warm and friendly welcome and a nice room. I had very nice talks with the owners and would love to come back! The next time I go to Cork I will stay at Redclyffe again!
Best wishes and have a nice stay, Stephan

(The B&B is placed directly on the opposite of UCC. Just a few steps and you are on campus.)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Redclyffe Guest House? Share your experiences!