“What a stay....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 14 Specialty lodging in Cork
London, United Kingdom
“What a stay....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over st paddy's weekend... The staff were so helpfull ... My luggage was lost and the manager drove me back to the airport to collect it... The room was clean warm and every thing that I needed ... Cheers guys...

• Stayed March 2013

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hostel is perfect in the sense of it provides a secure room / bed for the night at a low rate,the best thing about staying here on this basis is the fact that you can cook your own food, which saves even more money,downside on this level was the standard of the kitchen,the gas burners on the cooker would not come on unless you had a lighter,as long as you meet someone who smokes you are laughing otherwise you are left hanging around.the frying pans could do with replacing also,I am sure my oil was leaking through one of them.

The staff were friendly and helpful whenever you asked for directions,but the moment they had a problem,if it be with a guest or a booking the whole calm atmosphere goes out of the window,while waiting in line at reception I was witness to members of staff literally ignoring guests or telling them that they were too busy to deal with them now because of their problem on the phone,you have to remind yourself at this stage that you are paying a low amount and that if you wanted high standards of customer service you should go search and find it,and then be happy to pay for it.

The room and the whole hostel was very clean,top marks for this,which is a huge BIGGY considering how many dirty students stay there throughout the year.

I would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Clermont, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Kinlay House is definitely a good value.
I shared my 4 beds room with 2 other people, it was very clean and so were the sheets.
There is always somebody at the reception desk, even during night time. Moreover, the staff is very friendly and helpful. If you have a question about what to visit and where to have a drink or to eat on a budget, ask! They know good places.
The location is ideal. It’s located on the historical part of Cork and it is 5 minutes walking distance to the city centre, where is all you need. It’s also far enough away from it, to be quiet.
You can enjoy free wi-fi in the TV room (which is really cosy by the way) and in the internet café.
You also can have a good breakfast with tea, coffee, toasts, etc.
I would definitely come back in this hostel next time I’ll be in Cork!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Two friends and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of our spring break. The rooms were very clean, as were the linens!! We had our own shower which was very nice. The staff was extremely helpful in pointing out fun places to visit and good places to eat on a budget. It is located in the heart of the oldest part of Cork and is in walking distance to EVERYTHING. We also got discounts on our Paddywagon Tours for staying in this hostel. Only downsides, breakfast was lacking (just toast), and the wifi was only accessible in the tv room/computer room. I would definitely stay here again though!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

After lodging at this hostel for two weeks subsequently - four days a week for 20€ per night. on booking same accomodation for this i was advised i will be paying 5€ per night extra for same accomodation, suprised i questioned this but was shocked by the attitude of the receptionist who was rude telling me i should get with the program and implied i was lying. I was so dissapointed i decided to find alternative accomodation. Having stayed in this hostel 10 years ago and the memory of nice the owner was when i was in CIT I am extremely dissapointed by the attitude of the receptionist whose action was ignorant and rude. Time of incident 7pm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Kinlay house is good value. The staff were quite friendly and helpful. The rooms are neat and comfortable. The hostel is very clean, warm and well-managed. This place is recommended for those on a budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently stayed at Kinlay House Hostel Cork with one of my friends, in January. As we walked into the hostel I was greeted by two friendly members of staff in the reception area , who welcomed us to the hostel and to the city. We were given our key and showed personally to our room. We stayed in a four bed dorm room which was very clean and bright. As we walked through the halls of the hostel, I was immediately struck by the beautiful clean fresh smell in the halls. I felt this was a great reflection on the hostel. Our linen was clean and we had plenty of towels.
That evening we enjoyed the free Wi-Fi which was available in the hostel and visited the common room which had bright decor, and had a very traveller friendly feel to the place. We met other people from all parts of the country of Ireland in the common room and students from the USA, Europe and Australia.
The next morning we got a light breakfast and had a lovely cup of tea. It was also possible to book a Paddywagon Tour at the hostel reception , so my friend and I decided to do the Blarney and Cobh Afternoon Tour. We were so glad we could book the tour in Kinlay House and even got a slight discount on this tour , as we stayed there. This was really value for money in our eyes! This also included the entrance into Blarney Castle. We had a wonderful time on the tour and really enjoyed the tour and our guide -Mike. He was very knowledgeable on the history of the local area.
When we returned in the evening from the tour , we decided to explore the city a little more. We asked the staff at reception a few questions on attractions and they were more than helpful and obliging to point us in the right direction. They gave us a map of the city centre and showed us attractions to visit the following day in the city.
That evening we went to the Bodega for dinner and I have to say I personally loved the cod and chips which came with a dreamy tartare sauce and mushy peas! The dinner was fantastic!
All in all, we totally loved our experience at Kinlay House Hostel Cork, and we most definitely will be back in the future! We cannot wait! The staff were excellent, the tour was brilliant to Blarney and Cobh and the hostel itself is so centrally located in Cork City! Thank you Kinlay House Cork!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kinlay House Hostel? Share your experiences!