“Uphill but worth it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in Cork
London
“Uphill but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is an aging classic situated high above cork city.On arrival the reception staff were more than helpful and all done with a smile. Our room was 208 a large room with a fantastic view across cork, it had all the amenities you would expect of a 4 star hotel and the bathroom was functional with a good shower or the option to have a soak in the tub. The hotel has two bars one of which seem to open alternative days the staff however were nothing but pleasant and helpful nothing seemed to be to much trouble but I guess its all the charm of the emerald Isle.The breakfast was superb with the option of either a fully cooked or a continental choice all very good, except one small moan hard to get whole meal toast, low fat milk or margarine.
This hotel is not for the faint hearted as it is on the top of a hill walking down to the town is fine coming back you need to either be fit or get a taxi quite,a challenge after a good meal and a few beers. Would I stay here again yes I would it met my basic expectations and the pleasant staff made our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am delighted that we have a guest who would recommend us and more importantly would return to us. It is a pleasure to read how our staff made your stay more enjoyable, I feel very lucky to have such a great team, and will continue to support their efforts to deliver a memorable guest experience.

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We so wanted to love this hotel...it looked our sort of place. Beautifully situated above Cork City, in pretty grounds, this historic building in its external presentation exudes elegance and gravitas. Sadly, the interiors are disappointing. Most of the original interior has gone, to be replaced in the main by modern furniture, comfortable, clean yet anemic rooms, and a feeling that the place really needs to find a personality.Toiletries are minimal, and the breakfast adequate, but not special. Where the ambassador scored highly with us was with its staff - pleasant reception and breakfast staff, and a wonderful barman who had the personality and charm that this grand building deserves. With some thought and direction this could be Cork's crowning jewel....but it has a way to go!!.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the best view. Lift arrangements to the second floor are very strange ( 2 separate...
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. Your comments are fair and balanced, and are received in the intention with which they are meant. The hotel is currently going through a process of change of ownership, and with this we will be working very hard to ensure we bring the hotel to an acceptable standard expected from a four star property. I too believe that this hotel has the potential to be a Jewel in Cork, and we will strive to achieve this. I hope you will consider our hotel again when visiting Cork and would welcome any feedback you may have.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just back from a few days in Cork and stayed here, it's a lovely place and the location gives great views of Cork but i have to agree with many of the other reviews in that the building is old and dated but its more a three star than a four star: the rooms are big and clean but they're in no way fancy, there are no mini toiletries in the bathroom, rather you get one industrial sized 2-in-1 body wash/shampoo, limited dinner menu and yes there is quite a walk uphill to the hotel (about 10-15mins depending which end of town you go to) so not for those with limited mobility. Overall it was lovely and we enjoyed our stay but if you're looking for something high class i recommend you go elsewhere.

Room Tip: For sure choose a room with a balcony, the rooms at the back overlook a courtyard but those with a b...
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. Your comments are fair and balanced, and are received in the intention with which they are meant. The hotel is currently going through a process of change of ownership, and with this we will be working very hard to ensure we bring the hotel to an acceptable standard expected from a four star property. Since your visit we have made changes in the hotel, including a new menu which has been well received by guests and locals. I hope you will consider our hotel again in the near future and would welcome any feedback you may have.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a grand old hotel set up on a hill offering pleasant outlooks over Cork. We enjoyed our stay here with an airy comfortable room and all that we needed. We were here to visit ancestral sites so the location was perfect and the staff very relaxed and helpful. Full marks to the best server we had experienced in Ireland in the bar restaurant that night. He was very cheerful and professional. One thing the staff could look out for is the people who choose to stand out the front of the hotel to smoke as their smoke drifted straight up into our rooms quite often and was very unpleasant to non-smokers like us.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such positive feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am delighted our staff were able to make such a positive impression on your stay. I truly believe we have some of the friendliest hard working team members working here with us, and I am grateful for the service they provide to all guests. I also welcome your comments on guests smoking at the front door. I hope you were able to find some interesting facts during your visit.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I only stayed here one night during my 10 days in Ireland, but it was easily the nicest place I stayed. What's even better is that it was also the most affordable place that I stayed. Seriously nice rooms with very comfortable beds and very nice bathrooms. The 10 foot ceilings definitely make this a wonderful place to relax and unwind. Parking is located right in front and it's free.

It only takes 10 minutes to walk down to the city center. Some people complain about the uphill trek to get back to the hotel, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I actually liked it because it helped me walk off all the food and beers I had that night.

My only complaint was the wifi. It's free, but the connection is only available in the lobby and the signal kept cutting out.

Highly recommended.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such positive feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. It is reassuring to know we were able to deliver and exceed expectations of a hotel stay in Cork. I also welcome your comments on our WiFi access. I am glad to say we are currently putting plans in place to have full WiFi access for all guests throughout the hotel. Which I know is a must for hotel guests.

Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is a large old building above the main town. It is showing its age but kept in reasonable shape. The rooms are reasonable size and clean and comfortable. Food and drink was a little limited for choice but breakfast was OK being a mix of buffet and freshly cooked.
The staff did their job but without any real enthusiasm or friendliness except the receptionist how was pleasant.
OK but wouldn’t be my first choice on a place to stay in Cork.
Places to visit include the English market, City jail (although not a patch on Freemantle) the Brewery, Blarney castle, Barryscourt castle plus a walk round Cobh town nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Cork and the many attractions we have to offer. I was disappointed to see we did not rate higher in your estimation of us, and that our staff didn’t give you the feeling of friendliness and enthusiasm. I usually find through guest feedback that our team would be the main asset of the hotel, and receive high praise from many reviewers. Please accept our apologies, for not offering you the same courtesy.
If you had any specific comments that you would like to address with me personally, I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent two nights at the Ambassador. We should have never checked in. Our room was dirty especially the carpet which we asked to be cleaned two times after our arrival and it was never done. The toilet flushed with hot water and hot water came out of both sink taps. We reported this to the front desk and nothing was done to correct it. We had to use the bath tub cold water tap to brush our teeth! The walls were scuffed, toilet paper holder missing. You needed two elevators to get to the "remodeled" room. The location of the hotel was about a 15 minute walk to City Centre all down hill, ergo an all up hill climb returning. The staff was friendly but unable to get our issues corrected. The breakfast in the dining room was the worst we had in two weeks travelling through Ireland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. It was with great disappointment that I read your review.
I hope you can trust through our guest feedback that this would not be a typical guest experience fro our hotel and services. Here at the hotel we have an ethos of guest care and comfort. For not delivering on this occasion to you, please accept our sincere apologies. Please rest assure I have spoken with our maintenance team and housekeeping team to ensure these issues are not reoccurring
If you would like to make contact with me to discuss in more detail your experience, please do not hesitate to do so.

+353 21 4539000

Been to New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork? Share your experiences!