“Lovely but Average!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely but Average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just back from a few days in Cork and stayed here, it's a lovely place and the location gives great views of Cork but i have to agree with many of the other reviews in that the building is old and dated but its more a three star than a four star: the rooms are big and clean but they're in no way fancy, there are no mini toiletries in the bathroom, rather you get one industrial sized 2-in-1 body wash/shampoo, limited dinner menu and yes there is quite a walk uphill to the hotel (about 10-15mins depending which end of town you go to) so not for those with limited mobility. Overall it was lovely and we enjoyed our stay but if you're looking for something high class i recommend you go elsewhere.

Room Tip: For sure choose a room with a balcony, the rooms at the back overlook a courtyard but those with a b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. Your comments are fair and balanced, and are received in the intention with which they are meant. The hotel is currently going through a process of change of ownership, and with this we will be working very hard to ensure we bring the hotel to an acceptable standard expected from a four star property. Since your visit we have made changes in the hotel, including a new menu which has been well received by guests and locals. I hope you will consider our hotel again in the near future and would welcome any feedback you may have.

+353 21 4539000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a grand old hotel set up on a hill offering pleasant outlooks over Cork. We enjoyed our stay here with an airy comfortable room and all that we needed. We were here to visit ancestral sites so the location was perfect and the staff very relaxed and helpful. Full marks to the best server we had experienced in Ireland in the bar restaurant that night. He was very cheerful and professional. One thing the staff could look out for is the people who choose to stand out the front of the hotel to smoke as their smoke drifted straight up into our rooms quite often and was very unpleasant to non-smokers like us.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such positive feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am delighted our staff were able to make such a positive impression on your stay. I truly believe we have some of the friendliest hard working team members working here with us, and I am grateful for the service they provide to all guests. I also welcome your comments on guests smoking at the front door. I hope you were able to find some interesting facts during your visit.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I only stayed here one night during my 10 days in Ireland, but it was easily the nicest place I stayed. What's even better is that it was also the most affordable place that I stayed. Seriously nice rooms with very comfortable beds and very nice bathrooms. The 10 foot ceilings definitely make this a wonderful place to relax and unwind. Parking is located right in front and it's free.

It only takes 10 minutes to walk down to the city center. Some people complain about the uphill trek to get back to the hotel, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I actually liked it because it helped me walk off all the food and beers I had that night.

My only complaint was the wifi. It's free, but the connection is only available in the lobby and the signal kept cutting out.

Highly recommended.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such positive feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. It is reassuring to know we were able to deliver and exceed expectations of a hotel stay in Cork. I also welcome your comments on our WiFi access. I am glad to say we are currently putting plans in place to have full WiFi access for all guests throughout the hotel. Which I know is a must for hotel guests.

Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is a large old building above the main town. It is showing its age but kept in reasonable shape. The rooms are reasonable size and clean and comfortable. Food and drink was a little limited for choice but breakfast was OK being a mix of buffet and freshly cooked.
The staff did their job but without any real enthusiasm or friendliness except the receptionist how was pleasant.
OK but wouldn’t be my first choice on a place to stay in Cork.
Places to visit include the English market, City jail (although not a patch on Freemantle) the Brewery, Blarney castle, Barryscourt castle plus a walk round Cobh town nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Cork and the many attractions we have to offer. I was disappointed to see we did not rate higher in your estimation of us, and that our staff didn’t give you the feeling of friendliness and enthusiasm. I usually find through guest feedback that our team would be the main asset of the hotel, and receive high praise from many reviewers. Please accept our apologies, for not offering you the same courtesy.
If you had any specific comments that you would like to address with me personally, I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent two nights at the Ambassador. We should have never checked in. Our room was dirty especially the carpet which we asked to be cleaned two times after our arrival and it was never done. The toilet flushed with hot water and hot water came out of both sink taps. We reported this to the front desk and nothing was done to correct it. We had to use the bath tub cold water tap to brush our teeth! The walls were scuffed, toilet paper holder missing. You needed two elevators to get to the "remodeled" room. The location of the hotel was about a 15 minute walk to City Centre all down hill, ergo an all up hill climb returning. The staff was friendly but unable to get our issues corrected. The breakfast in the dining room was the worst we had in two weeks travelling through Ireland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. It was with great disappointment that I read your review.
I hope you can trust through our guest feedback that this would not be a typical guest experience fro our hotel and services. Here at the hotel we have an ethos of guest care and comfort. For not delivering on this occasion to you, please accept our sincere apologies. Please rest assure I have spoken with our maintenance team and housekeeping team to ensure these issues are not reoccurring
If you would like to make contact with me to discuss in more detail your experience, please do not hesitate to do so.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We only stayed one night for a celebration party we had in Cork. The carpets, paintwork etc were a little tired but the hotel has lovely character, it is a fine building & I loved it. The girl on reception friday evening the 7th june was really lovely, pleasant and efficient.She is a great asset to the hotel, I hope the managers know this ! we were in room 125, nice room, good shower, clean and bright. Had a good nights sleep, would recommend this hotel. Would love to return and spend more time there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your valued feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork.
It is always great to have a review that appreciates the hard work the staff put in to make our guests stay more enjoyable. On a daily basis I feel very lucky to work with the team I have around me. I will be sure to pass your kind comments to the receptionist mentioned.

We hope you will visit us again soon,

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at the end of May for just about a week. The first room I was offered was at the back of the hotel, just above the restaurant ventilation which was very noisy (I was told it turns off at 9:30pm but they did not turn it off until I complained about it at 10:30pm). When windows were opened, the smell from the bins at the back of the hotel was very unpleasant. After complaining about these issues and asking for another room, I was offered a room at the top of the hotel, overlooking the city. The view was wonderful, and the previous issues non-existent. The rooms are nice and spacious, the carpets deserve a bit more cleaning though. The staff was very helpful and made me feel welcome even after the complaints. It would recommend this hotel to anyone, just beware of the rooms at the back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear reviewer,

I am sorry your stay was disturbed by noise and other factors. I am also glad we were able to turn a negative experience in to a 4/5 review. I firmly believe we all can make mistakes in business, but it is how we recover from them that determines us as a quality service provider.
I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Chris Crowley

Been to New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork? Share your experiences!