“Could be better” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Santa Monica, California
“Could be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Other than the view, which is great, because the hotel is on a hill above Cork, I wouldn't necessarily stay here again. The curtains were shabby, the food in the dining room was not good at all. When we first got to the room we noticed it smelled like smoke-the room did have a sign on it showin it was supposed to be non-smoking, but someone had obviously been smoking in there. I notified the front desk & they said they would take care of it. They sprayed some air freshener or something & it took care of some of the smell, but not all of it. They tried. The staff were friendly and helpful-the best part of this hotel. If you're going to walk to & from this hotel you need to be in good shape-the hill is pretty steep. Good cardio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your valued feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. It is always disappointing to read we do not live up to our guests expectations. I can appreciate the discomfort a room can bring when someone has smoked in it. We do designate a portion of our hotel to smoking guests, In order to ensure our non smoking rooms are kept odor free, however people sometimes flaunt this. But you should not have been affected by this.

If you would like to make contact with me to discuss your stay, I would be grateful.

+353 21 4539000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were put up for the night here after our flight was cancelled, from the moment we arrived we were greeted by April in reception she was superb!
The bar staff also were excellent Tom the night porter was a real Cork character and kept us highly entertained. The only complaint would be the breakfast staff who weren't as attentive and friendly. Have been here a number of times previously but never stayed over & would highly recommend

• Stayed April 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your valued feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, I will be sure to pass them on for you. I am sorry to hear our breakfast team did not meet your expectations, I will be sure to raise that with our Restaurant Manager. We look forward to your return visit.

shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for the first two nights of our Ireland trip. The hotel is in a good location as it offers fab views over Cork and we had a great room at the front that had a balcony overlooking the view. You could walk down to the centre of Cork in about 15 minutes which was pleasant.

The hotel is clean and well presented but the decor is quite dated now and could do with some modernising. However, our room was very spacious with a huge comfortable bed and everything you need really. The bathroom was lovely and clean and it was nice to have a dressing gown and slippers provided.

We did randomly lose the water supply one night, but after a phone call to the maintenance man, it was fixed within an hour.

We had breakfast on the second morning which was pretty standard but didn't offer much for vegetarians in the way of cooked food.

All in all, a good hotel, with a welcoming reception, I would stay here again, but it does need a modern touch/refurb soon...

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for for your valued feedback following your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to your return visit. Thank you for your understanding during our water shortage. I am delighted it didn't impact too heavily on your comfort of stay.

Chris crowley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived as a stag/hen party on the Friday,staff were not that pleasant,drinks were overpriced and didnt have everything, the night porter don was a lovely man,it is up a big hill which wasnt ideal for a few of our group,the rooms were clean and confortable but alot of items missing from it. The food in the bar was lovely just feel the staff really let it down.

• Stayed April 2013
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review following your groups’ recent visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork. I am disappointed to hear you feel our staff let us down. Please rest assured we work with a few Hen/Stag groups throughout the year and value the business they bring. I am at a loss to understand why your group did not leave feeling you enjoyed your stay.
Pricing of alcohol here at the hotel is something I feel is managed in order to ensure we are competitive within the market, taking our location into account, and the cost of serving the alcohol. It is something we monitor on a regular basis to ensure we are not pricing too high.
When I compare some of our prices with our competition and bars in the city centre, we were less expensive on many items. I will sit with our management team and review this again based on your valued comments.
In relation to our rude staff, this is not something I encounter often, as our staff usually receives high praise from reviewers, but I would be interested in receiving any comments you may wish to pass to me, in order to address the issues for future guests.

I thank you again for your valued feed back, please feel free to contact me at your convenience, to discuss your stay with us.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A nice little Hotel, situated on the North side of the city in a renovated building, Some parts of the building showing its age, the lift being one, its ancient and could do with an update, also the trek from the lobby to a room can be long, and some rooms are like a maze to get to. This is more to do with the Hotel building's age and the extensions it has had over the years, bear this in mind is you aren't too agile.

The staff are friendly and over all the room is standard and all the basics are there, the rooms could do with a bit of a freshen up.

I would recommend this hotel as a place to stay but do bear in mind it is up on the hilly north side and if walking to it, which is possible from the city please do bear in mind it is all up hill, you may need a taxi if you do not have your own car.

No pool or spa facilities

Room Tip: no pool or spa and it is all up hill
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit to our City. Your comments are received with thanks.
Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel, you are correct we are based upon one of Cork most famous hills. Thankfully we boast magnificent views of Cork to make up for the hill.
We hope you will visit us again soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's up a hill about a 10 minute walk away from the city center, the lobby and rooms look a bit frumpy, it is not chic...But, I love it! In a world full of renovations that leave little of old souls, here is a place full of old-fashioned, authentic soulfulness...

Some of the rooms have amazing views, they are very large, with great high ceilings. The staff is wonderfully attentive, and the crowd, if there is a Hurling game going on that week-end, is fabulously and effusively Irish.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear your enjoyed your visit to the Ambassador Hotel Cork, and you had the fortune of the views of our wonderful city from your room.
I hope if you return to Ireland in the future you will come and visit us again. Hopefully Cork will be playing in the All Ireland hurling Final when you do.

Navan, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I travel around Ireland lot with my job and had the unfortunate experience of staying in the Ambassador recently, I frequently stay in hotels and this has to rank as one of the worst I've been to, not hot water, stains on the carpet in the room and overpriced, avoid.

That said, the beds are comfy, the food is very good and the staff are nice.

Room Tip: Go to the Montenotte up the road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to Cork. I was disappointed to read some of the issues you encountered during your visit. This would not be a typical guest experience at our hotel. I would appreciate a chance to talk to you in relation to your stay.
I would appreciate if you could contact me at your convenience.
I would also like to thank you for your positive comments on our food and service.

+353 21 4539000

Been to New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork? Share your experiences!