“Perfect stay at Cork!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay at Cork!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Lovely staff and lovely room, I stayed there a few days ago with my partner and it was very romantic. We could see the whole city from our balcony, very big room, king size bed....
I'm thinking about something that we didn't like there, but there is nothing!

• Stayed October 2012
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a positive review following your visit to Ambassador Hotel Cork City. I am delighted you had such a positive experience, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris Crowley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We last stayed at this hotel a few years ago when it was a Best Western. Our recent stay was for two nights in two rooms. We asked for the same rooms as before, and thankfully and appreciatively, the hotel honored our request. Our spacious rooms had wonderful step-up balconies which provided a view of Cork. The balconies were the reason for our room request but unfortunately we were unable to use them.

Our rooms were non-smoking, but apparently that policy doesn't extend to the room balconies, as the patrons in the non-smoking room next to ours were out smoking one evening. The horrible smoke blew into our two adjoining rooms, forcing us to shut the windows and balcony doors, which only made the room stuffier. Basically we had to suffer as if we were in a smoking room. We complained to the front desk the following morning and were told that they cannot enforce a no-smoking policy on balconies (no alarms, no way to monitor it, etc.). The receptionist said she would mention our complaints to management. This is a VERY EASY problem for the hotel to fix--if they really wanted to: #1 notify all guests upon check-in for a non-smoking room that smoking is not allowed on any balconies, #2 post a sign right by the balcony door stating the same, and #3 notify guests that they will be charged extra for any infractions or cleaning expenses related to smoking.

The hotel and rooms are a little dated and showing wear. Our rooms were large, clean, and the beds comfortable. The bathroom had separate hot/cold faucets which made it a little difficult to get the correct water temperature for cleansing. The balcony doors are locked, but have a key provided, which was fairly difficult to figure out and use. Elevator was very slow running, and on the morning of our departure, wasn't even working. Had to lug down the stairs three very heavy suitcases!!! The receptionist thought that maybe the maintenance person was changing light bulbs; if so, this wasn't the time to be doing so!

There were many issues with the hotel restaurant, Seasons. Apparently they had just changed the menu, but we were not impressed with the food selections. When we approached the doorway of the restaurant for dinner the first evening, no one was around to greet us. We stood there awkwardly for several minutes before someone finally approached and seated us. Service was extremely slow. We were missing essential pieces of silverware and glasses. Food was ok.

The following morning for breakfast (buffet), service was again very slow; it appeared there was only one waitress. Dinner the following night brought some new surprises: the salmon which did not have a white cream sauce the previous night had one this time (same menu item), the pesto pasta was basically a creamy mushroom sauce with the faintest trace of pesto, and the apple pie came topped with strawberry ice cream (did they run out of vanilla ice cream??). When quizzing the waiter about the odd menu items, he said the chef was a different one for that night. At breakfast the next morning, there was no jam; waiter said they had run out. Clearly, the restaurant needs to work on staffing and quality and inventory control.

We've stayed here twice, been disappointed the second time, so not sure we would try this hotel again. Would probably look around for another place that suited our needs, including a full no-smoking policy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing the Ambassador Hotel for your return to Cork City recently. I am glad to hear your previous stay prompted you to return to us.
It was with great disappointment that I read we were not able to offer the same quality of service during this visit.
We have a very strong policy of delivering a high level of guest service to all of our guests whilst staying at the hotel. For not delivering to you on this occasion, we are truly sorry. Given your past experience, and other guest reviews, I hope you can agree this would not be a typical visit to our hotel.
I would appreciate time permitting, if you could make direct contact with me to discuss your stay, and I am confident I can leave you with a positive impression of how we deal with our guest feedback.

Thank you again for posting your review, it is only through guests feedback, that we can improve on standards for all future guests.

Kind Regards,

Cork, Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Overall a nice hotel. Second time staying there, theres a bit of variation with the rooms (first time i stayed there the room was very big with a balcony) but this is more then likely reflected in the different prices.

Pricing was decent enough and staff from the reception right down to the housekeeping ladies were very friendly and nice.

Only real let down was the spa facilities, sauna wasn't really hot and the steam room wasnt working. Still though - overall a lovely hotel, not overly expensive, nice food and lovely staff. I wouldnt have any problems staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel, following your recent visit to Cork City. I am delighted to hear our staff made a positive impression on you, and that you felt we offer value for money to guests who choose to stay with us. We would be delighted to have you for a return visit.
I will be sure to pass your comments to the team, and I will thank them on your behalf.

We look forward to your return,

Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

It was unfortunate that we were only able to stay here one night (wife, adult daughter and I were on a whirlwind driving tour of Ireland that consisted of one or two nights in each city), so I cannot comment on the Health Club/Spa, only on the hotel proper. Arrived late, and that part of Cork is rather dark and quiet, but our UK/Ireland-loaded Garmin GPS (the best investment ever) took us right to the front door. We had parking. but from the looks of the lot, there could be a problem if the hotel was full. Receptionist appeared to be waiting for us--cheerful, enthusiastic, very helpful--and checked us in efficently. The hotel has a late-19th Century look to it which, I'll admit, had me a bit nervous at first. The room, however--indeed the entire hotel--was very much up to date. The hotel manages to hold on to its old world looks and charm, but incoroprates the latest technology. Room was enormous. High, probably 12', ceilings, full bath, flat screen TV with plenty of chairs. Also, which we thought kind of funny, it had three beds (which I should explain. My wife and I were travelling with our 24 year old daughter and asked our travel agent to reserve triple rooms. Expected 2 double or queen beds. At the Ambassador, however, we had 3 double beds!). Room had gigantic windows, the middle one of which was a door to the private balcony. Balcony, and the hotel's front porch had a great view of Cork. Room had plenty of electrical outlets (all 3-prong 240 so make sure you have an adapter) and included iron & ironing board and a hair dryer. Shower control consisted of volume knob and a temperature knob--recommend starting at 30. Room was quiet, clean, and very comfortable. We slept well. Breakfast was excellent: cereal, breads, pastries, fruit, juices, eggs to order--if you left hungry it was your own fault. I would not hesitate to stay again, and recommend it highly. You and your family will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I think the front of the hotel, second floor, is probably best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such a detailed and positive review of the Ambassador Hotel, following your visit to Cork City. I am delighted you, your wife and daughter all enjoyed your stay with us.You have captured alot of our best features and seemed to really enjoy what our family rooms have to offer. I will be sure to pass your comments to the team at the hotel for a job well done. We hope you have the chance to visit Cork again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We only spent 2 nights here. The room had way too much furniture for the amount of space available. The concierge at the desk was very unfriendly when we checked in - he was almost robotic, just running through the motions rather than making us feel welcome. However, after settling into our room, we made our way down to the lobby to seek advice to getting to restaurants and pubs and there was a different employee at the desk who was very friendly and offered us great advice on where to go and how to get there. This man was a local, while the other was a foreigner. Maybe that was the difference. We attempted to eat dessert one night. After ordering my dessert, the server came out to tell me it was unavailable. I ordered something different. That was also unavailable. This information should have been made known to us before getting our minds set of something sweet to eat. There were 3 employees in the restaurant when we were there and there were only 5 occupied tables. However, we had to get up and go to the bar to request our check long after we were finished. Service was terrible at the restaurant and at the front desk (minus the one Irish gentlemen I mentioned earlier). The TV stopped working on our second morning. We had only turned it on at night while getting ready for bed and in the morning while getting ready for the day. Oddly, it just didn't turn on anymore on our second day. We didn't bother calling for help since we didn't expect to receive much and didn't need to watch tv anyway. Overall, we got what we paid for - a hotel room with a clean bathroom. We were disappointed, but we didn't go there to spend time in the room anyway. The location was pretty good in terms of where we were going and what we were doing. If you plan on spending any length of time other than sleeping in a hotel, I would not recommend this one. If you just need a place to stay while enjoying the area, it will do.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to post a review of the Ambassador Hotel following your recent visit to Cork City. It was with disappointment that I read of our lack of guest service in some areas. I will be sure to speak with our Front of House Manager, and Operations Manager to ensure all issues are addressed, and implement any training required to ensure this does not happen for any other guests in the future. I hope you can hold judgement on us, and give us the opportunity to make amends.

I would appreciate if you could make contact with me at your convenience.

Thanking you in advance,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

OK this hotel sorry but sucked. The rooms were not clean, the location is not the best thank god i only stayed for one night. hotel is old but old not old nice. Rooms need updating maybe i just got a crapy room i don't no. I would not stay at this hotel again. also payed 105 bucks not that much however with another 20 bucks could of got another hotel one that i felt comfortable in.

Castlederg, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked the Ambassdor Hotel in Cork and we were pleasantly surprised with the character of the Hotel and location. We found all the staff to be be very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was very good and we always received a breakfast cooked fresh to order.
The views from our bedroom were wonderful giving a great sight of the City and surrounding area's.
The location of the hotel was within 5 minute walking distance to another very valuable attraction that being Collins Military Museum which I visited and found it to be excellent.
We stayed in mid week and the Hotel lounge bar was closed but you could have a drink of your choice in the Dining area. The Duty Manager informed me that the lounge bar was opened at weekends as it also catered for the locals in the area. We really enjoyed our break here and met some very nice people also sharing the experience of the hotel. I will stay here again whenever I return to Cork.

Room Tip: The room that I shared with my wife was quite large and there was a balcony attached were there was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork? Share your experiences!