“Very friendly staff all round” 4 of 5 stars

New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Military Hill | St Lukes, Cork, Ireland (Montenotte)   |
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Very friendly staff all round”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Overall a nice hotel. Second time staying there, theres a bit of variation with the rooms (first time i stayed there the room was very big with a balcony) but this is more then likely reflected in the different prices.

Pricing was decent enough and staff from the reception right down to the housekeeping ladies were very friendly and nice.

Only real let down was the spa facilities, sauna wasn't really hot and the steam room wasnt working. Still though - overall a lovely hotel, not overly expensive, nice food and lovely staff. I wouldnt have any problems staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel, following your recent visit to Cork City. I am delighted to hear our staff made a positive impression on you, and that you felt we offer value for money to guests who choose to stay with us. We would be delighted to have you for a return visit.
I will be sure to pass your comments to the team, and I will thank them on your behalf.

We look forward to your return,

+353 21 4539000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

It was unfortunate that we were only able to stay here one night (wife, adult daughter and I were on a whirlwind driving tour of Ireland that consisted of one or two nights in each city), so I cannot comment on the Health Club/Spa, only on the hotel proper. Arrived late, and that part of Cork is rather dark and quiet, but our UK/Ireland-loaded Garmin GPS (the best investment ever) took us right to the front door. We had parking. but from the looks of the lot, there could be a problem if the hotel was full. Receptionist appeared to be waiting for us--cheerful, enthusiastic, very helpful--and checked us in efficently. The hotel has a late-19th Century look to it which, I'll admit, had me a bit nervous at first. The room, however--indeed the entire hotel--was very much up to date. The hotel manages to hold on to its old world looks and charm, but incoroprates the latest technology. Room was enormous. High, probably 12', ceilings, full bath, flat screen TV with plenty of chairs. Also, which we thought kind of funny, it had three beds (which I should explain. My wife and I were travelling with our 24 year old daughter and asked our travel agent to reserve triple rooms. Expected 2 double or queen beds. At the Ambassador, however, we had 3 double beds!). Room had gigantic windows, the middle one of which was a door to the private balcony. Balcony, and the hotel's front porch had a great view of Cork. Room had plenty of electrical outlets (all 3-prong 240 so make sure you have an adapter) and included iron & ironing board and a hair dryer. Shower control consisted of volume knob and a temperature knob--recommend starting at 30. Room was quiet, clean, and very comfortable. We slept well. Breakfast was excellent: cereal, breads, pastries, fruit, juices, eggs to order--if you left hungry it was your own fault. I would not hesitate to stay again, and recommend it highly. You and your family will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: I think the front of the hotel, second floor, is probably best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for posting such a detailed and positive review of the Ambassador Hotel, following your visit to Cork City. I am delighted you, your wife and daughter all enjoyed your stay with us.You have captured alot of our best features and seemed to really enjoy what our family rooms have to offer. I will be sure to pass your comments to the team at the hotel for a job well done. We hope you have the chance to visit Cork again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We only spent 2 nights here. The room had way too much furniture for the amount of space available. The concierge at the desk was very unfriendly when we checked in - he was almost robotic, just running through the motions rather than making us feel welcome. However, after settling into our room, we made our way down to the lobby to seek advice to getting to restaurants and pubs and there was a different employee at the desk who was very friendly and offered us great advice on where to go and how to get there. This man was a local, while the other was a foreigner. Maybe that was the difference. We attempted to eat dessert one night. After ordering my dessert, the server came out to tell me it was unavailable. I ordered something different. That was also unavailable. This information should have been made known to us before getting our minds set of something sweet to eat. There were 3 employees in the restaurant when we were there and there were only 5 occupied tables. However, we had to get up and go to the bar to request our check long after we were finished. Service was terrible at the restaurant and at the front desk (minus the one Irish gentlemen I mentioned earlier). The TV stopped working on our second morning. We had only turned it on at night while getting ready for bed and in the morning while getting ready for the day. Oddly, it just didn't turn on anymore on our second day. We didn't bother calling for help since we didn't expect to receive much and didn't need to watch tv anyway. Overall, we got what we paid for - a hotel room with a clean bathroom. We were disappointed, but we didn't go there to spend time in the room anyway. The location was pretty good in terms of where we were going and what we were doing. If you plan on spending any length of time other than sleeping in a hotel, I would not recommend this one. If you just need a place to stay while enjoying the area, it will do.

Dear reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to post a review of the Ambassador Hotel following your recent visit to Cork City. It was with disappointment that I read of our lack of guest service in some areas. I will be sure to speak with our Front of House Manager, and Operations Manager to ensure all issues are addressed, and implement any training required to ensure this does not happen for any other guests in the future. I hope you can hold judgement on us, and give us the opportunity to make amends.

I would appreciate if you could make contact with me at your convenience.

Thanking you in advance,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

OK this hotel sorry but sucked. The rooms were not clean, the location is not the best thank god i only stayed for one night. hotel is old but old not old nice. Rooms need updating maybe i just got a crapy room i don't no. I would not stay at this hotel again. also payed 105 bucks not that much however with another 20 bucks could of got another hotel one that i felt comfortable in.

Castlederg, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked the Ambassdor Hotel in Cork and we were pleasantly surprised with the character of the Hotel and location. We found all the staff to be be very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was very good and we always received a breakfast cooked fresh to order.
The views from our bedroom were wonderful giving a great sight of the City and surrounding area's.
The location of the hotel was within 5 minute walking distance to another very valuable attraction that being Collins Military Museum which I visited and found it to be excellent.
We stayed in mid week and the Hotel lounge bar was closed but you could have a drink of your choice in the Dining area. The Duty Manager informed me that the lounge bar was opened at weekends as it also catered for the locals in the area. We really enjoyed our break here and met some very nice people also sharing the experience of the hotel. I will stay here again whenever I return to Cork.

Room Tip: The room that I shared with my wife was quite large and there was a balcony attached were there was...
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and was met by a friendly smiling receptionist,which was a great start in my book..The room was a good size....airy and spacious with a small balcony that overlooked the city.The weekend just gone was beautiful so one could sit out on the balcony and relax while soaking up the sun.Music was in the hotel sat night and started at 10.30pm and finished at 12pm.Breakfast was the best I have had in a long time.There was a choice beyond my wildest taste buds.You could opt for the continental breakfast and/or the full Irish.I had both.We ate in the bistro sun night and I have to say I could not fault the choice of menu that was on offer or the price.The bistro stayed open till 10pm,but if you did not wish to dine there you have the choice of the restaurant or the bar for food.I didn't get to use the leisure facilities while I was there,but I do believe that it does not have a pool so bear this in mind.There is a bus that passes the hotel from the city on its way to other routes,but a good walk,[if you are able] back to the hotel will be your workout for the day.Bear this in mind if you are laden down with bags from your shopping spree.Over the weekend we got to visit Blarney,Cobh and Killarney which are all within driving distance of the hotel.This is a hotel that oozes character,with heavy drapes and thick pile carpets and the walls bearing the weight of artwork.Yes its old and may need some refurbishment but its a hotel that I will be returning to again and for me to do that says a lot.If you do stay at the Ambassador I hope you enjoy the experience as much as we did.Car parking is plentiful and there is CCTV all around the hotel so you can relax.

Room Tip: They offer smoking or non smoking rooms,so bear this in mind when booking.Because we booked with bre...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

When we checked in our room wasn't ready yet, the door was open and it was apparent that it hadn't been swept yet. We tracked down a housekeeper who said she was just on her way to come and sweep it and she was apologetic and very nice. The room is big and has a table with chairs so you can bring back lunch or dinner and not have to eat on the bed. Apart from the sweeping issue, everything was clean. Breakfast is not included, but at 90 euro for two people I didn't really care.

The walk to the city center is a little bit of a hike (15-20 min) and if you plan on doing this more then once a day I would recommend a different hotel closer to the city center.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to New Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork? Share your experiences!