“Will definitely be back, thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Mayborough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maryborough Hotel & Spa

You added Maryborough Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maryborough Hill | Douglas, Cork, Ireland (Formerly Maryborough House Hotel) (Douglas)   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Will definitely be back, thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Mayborough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Having travelled from Dublin in the Friday evening traffic, the warm welcome by the Maryborough staff and large open fire that greeted us, was just what we needed! The room was lovely, extremely spacious and beautifully decorated with a great size balcony over-looking the beautiful gardens. We soon realised that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room with a bottle of vino wating for us in the room - compliments of the hotel - it was a great start to our stay!!! We were attending the afters of a wedding of a friend and honestly I couldnt say enough complimentary things about the wedding suite - fabulously laid out ballroom (specially loved the lighting!) and a wonderful residence bar - brides to be,definetely a venue worth considering!! Ordered breakfast in the room for the next morning - best decision ever - ate el fresco on the balcony and the breakfast was fab!
Really enjoyed our stay at the Maryborough - great location ~ 5mins from Douglas and 10mins from Cork city centre. Only regret is that we didn't get time to check out the leisure centre and spa facilities - so will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We were all very tired when we got off the plane in Cork, and of course like any traveler we were suffering from severe jet lag and all we felt like doing was falling asleep on our feet.

Before we went anywhere else, we had to run some errands there in Cork. But finally after exploring the new land that we had landed on, the kids began to become tired.

We finally arrived at the Maryborough and I have to admit, the service at the Maryborough is so amazing, they make you feel so important kind of like your royalty! They greeted us by name! And after that we were given a grand tour of the hotel and finally sat down for some afternoon tea. The food was GREAT there, I loved it a lot. So after all this running around, we were all frayed down to a fiber of yarn and we were so pooped that we were dead on our feet. So when we were showed to our room someone suggested we take a nap to "catch up" to Cork time, so with no problem everyone had fallen asleep on the comfiest mattresses within one minute.

After we had awaken, we felt refreshed and were glad to have slept. I had been very surprised with the comfort of the mattresses, especially since I had been sleeping on a cot. The Maryborough is a great place to go and kick back to relax if you ever find yourself in Cork, Ireland. Although I never got to the spa. :(

Trust Me! SimplyPut6

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed in the Maryborough this month for two nights for a wedding of a friend. on arrival at reception were greeted by two lovely girls and were informed we had been upgraded to a suite. the porter arrived to carry our bags to second floor as no lift in the old part of house. but 2 floors wont kill anyone to walk.
our suite comprised of living room bedroom bathroom, complimentary wi-fi, wine, mineral water, baileys, and tea/coffee and none of your teabags or instant variety- fresly brewed only thanks very much.

enjoyed some bar food and while we only had sandwiches and chips our review of the hotel cooking comes from the wedding on day two. the food was superb. service fantastic everyone ate the together. unlike some other establishments who employ a waitress per 50 guests they had one 2 per table.
breakfast in bed on both mornings was tasty, hot, and delivered on time. didnt try the spa and would go back with the girls to give this a shout.. lovely place that everyone would enjoy from my best friend to my mum.

Kerry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

stayed for one night, got a nice welcome from staff at reception, had nice welcome drink as i have been travelling all day. Relaxed in the relaxation area of spa for an hour which was complimentary. Dined in the busy bar area of hotel. Slept great in the comfortable beds. Am looking forward to me next visit already.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Co Clare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

This was a very short visit, and our first time to the Maryborough, but it is to be highly recommended based on our experience. Good food, friendly staff, good value for money. I would also compliment the Maryborough on their prompt response to a small service issue I raised, and also on a remarkable ability to "separate" wedding functions from normal hotel guests. Didn't get time to sample everything on this occasion, but definitely will next time around.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed at the Maryborugh with my husband last weekend. We had a fantastic time. We were in Cork to visit family and wanted to stay near Douglas. The hotel was idealy situated, Douglas has a buzzing nightlife, so after dinner we were able to meet family for drinks in Barry's Pub. The staff were fantastic, from the moment we checked in. The rooms are newly decorated I was told by the receptionist and you certainly noticed they are lovely. The bathroom is new and spacious. The hotel overall was wonderful we ate in the restaurant on the Friday night. We ate lunch with my family on Sunday before leaving to go home and again the meal was incredibly enjoyable, we ate in the bar my nieces were able to play in the gardens. Anyone visiting this hotel will appreciate the gardens, I don't know any other city hotel that has gardens like this hotel.
Anyone visiting Cork who wants to stay in nice surrounding and close to Douglas this is the hotel to stay in.

galway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Aug this year myself and my husband took a well earned break and after reading all write ups and the hotel description decided on the Maryborough Hotel & Spa in Cork. It look fab, and we were so looking forward to a romantic break in a delux, luxurious hotel. What a dissapointment. We only stayed one of the two nights booked. We checked in with reception I should have trusted my instinct and left immediately. The staff were very nice but the reception area - There is olde world and 'falling apart'. It was terrible, cold looking, shabby, and totally unwelcoming. BUT We were tired after a three hour journey and kept going. The bar,main eating area what ever you call it was unreal. The purple carpet was worn and faded in parts - bad enough but it was dirty. I saw a table filled with dirty glasses and plates ,they were still there an hour later. We got into the lift , it was filthy and smelly. Thankfully the bedroom was fine, clean and nicely decorated so we decided to stay . We were asked to pre-book the spa, I did not realise it was divided so my husband went one way and I the other . We nearly broke the record to get there to keep our appointment but we should not have worried, we were the only ones there. The spa area was fine but I thought I would be able to have a chat with my husband while relaxing. We did not stay long and thought, Well we had dinner to look forward too!. We phone to book the restaurant but was told it was not open on the Monday, just the bar, so there goes my nice dress I brought for this fantastic dining experience described so beautifully in the brochure. I was totally fed up by now. Ok so now we had breakfast to look forward to......Good Lord, Thank god we did not dine there. If the hotel are going to use a stair railing in the middle of the restaurant as a buffet table - the least they could have done is try to disguise it. But NO! the threw a board and a table cloth over it with the entrance blocked with a rope chain. The seating was a disguisting purple ,dirty and worn . And the main areas were still dirdy, I am not joking, they had not hoovered the main area since the day before, nor the life either. We left. Maybe this lovely house was once a specticular beauty, but whoever redecorated it tore its heart out. Maybe it was nice once, but not anymore. The tourist board must be giving out 4 stars for any effort. You know it's just not good enough. Would I stay there again - the answer is NO. Maryborough you really need to get clean up your act.

Been to Maryborough Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!