“Spa Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maryborough Hotel & Spa

You added Maryborough Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maryborough Hill | Douglas, Cork, Ireland (Formerly Maryborough House Hotel) (Douglas)   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Spa Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

So we probably could have booked a week in Lanzarote for what we spent on 2 nights here!! We booked one of the spa bedrooms which had a jacuzzi tub in it, amazing room!!! However because it was below ground level it could feel slightly claustrophobic. Staff were nice & we had a lovely stay. Only down the road from some other pubs and bars which was good. The only bad thing I would say was that the breakfast on both mornings was absolutely revolting. Anything fried (eggs, sausages, bacon) all tasted of fish! They must have been frying everything in the same oil or something but for us (as non fish people) it was stomach churning at that hour of the morning.
Would return.....if we won the lotto!

Room Tip: Spa rooms great for a couples weekend
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for the Bank Holiday weekend and we can't say this was a 4 star hotel. Just a few points to consider:

Service:
Excellent. Lovely and dedicated staff.

Room:
Dirty windows. No glass in the shower. Old blinds with holes (we thought it was a nice details to put stars on the blinds). Stains on walls, ceiling and floors. Bad isolation (1cm gap under the door). Horrible pillows.
Restaurant:
90's decoration. Naked cables on columns. Overcooked steak when I asked medium/rare(basic for a chef). Super over cooked sea bass (another basic). Frozen fries (why you do this?).
Breakfast:
Poor quality ingredients in the full Irish breakfast. Worst coffee I tried in my life, it was just brownish water(please do something about it ASAP).
We had the Afternoon tea and it was very nice but I couldn't ask for coffee...
Spa:
All very good.
General hotel facilities:
There are marks on the walls all over the place. In the corridors you will be lucky if you can see a straight painting on the wall. Or in a stairs hall the same painting in opposite walls. This shows that no- one is taking care of the facilities. A 4 star hotel requires attention to detail.

Honestly, we will never go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia C, Front Office Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that most of your experience, especially with the level of service received from staff, has been a positive one.

Certainly the quality of food or beverages served should be of a very high standard in a 4 star hotel like the Maryborough Hotel and Spa. We strive to exceed expectations and therefore appreciate any feedback given by guests, both positive and negative.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on cczerny@maryborough.ie, should you wish to discuss your review in more detail.

Kind regards,

Claudia Czerny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times but we went for my dads 60th, the reception staff upgraded my parents for free to the master suite, it was stunning and so special for them. everything went perfectly for the weekend. Food is superb however the menu is a little confusing, the side dishes for the mains have to be ordered separate this really should be said by your waiter/waitress As we didn't have a clue and ended up getting the meat and meat only :( breakfast was gorgeous and the staff were lovely... Overall the whole experience was tip top :)

• Stayed June 2013
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am allergic to the term 'Hen' weekend, the connotations give me palpitations and a rash. I am not alone, our soon to be married daughter also finds the Hen Hotel packages consisting of inflatable things, wearing of embarrassing items and drinking until memory is a distant past, horrific.
The job of finding a spa weekend for 9 girls was left to myself and her amazing bridesmaid. I research at length and finally rang 6 in different locations. The response from several of the hotels left a lot to be desired. Ranging from "take it or leave it" to "whatever" attitude. I had a final selection of two and then I rang the Maryborough Hotel & Spa in Cork, Ireland. The receptionist was so lovely, my mind was made up. Bridesmaid and I met with our individual final selections.
I said I found the hotel, great reviews backed up with such helpful staff on the phone. . She answered all my questions and willing to tailor the weekend. She said she found one too and the receptionist was so helpful. Yep, you got it. Same hotel.
The hotel went to such effort to make the weekend a lovely experience. One staff member went to the trouble of remembering the girls names until they changed for dinner. Gone were the jeans and into cocktail dresses, totally confusing the poor man. Spa left them relaxed and happy. I being Mama, came down on the next night to enjoy pre dinner cocktails and an amazing dining experience with excellent service. All this while hosting a large wedding AND communion day for zillions of boys and girls running around. Nothing phased the staff and at the end of the evening, they were still smiling. Now that's an achievement for any hotel. Management and staff, our congratulations to you all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is a beautiful relaxing place to go. We spent a fantastic week here in May. the gardens are amazing and the spa is great. loved the food in the bar and restaurant and found the staff really helpful. Little bit expensive but you get what you pay for here in comparision to other hotels for the same price. Breakfast is sensational.....pancakes with maple syrup, eggs benedict, eggs florentine, kippers, smoked mackeral, the usual full breakfast, loads of choice for everyone. Nice selection of whiskeys innthe bar. Walking distance from the south county bar which has good food and traditional music. Also has a bus stop 200 metres from the enterance.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was undoubtedly the very best hotel that I have stayed in Ireland. I went during the Easter holidays this year for my daughter's hen party and last Easter I stayed here with my work colleagues. Both of my stays were excellent. The staff are the jewel in the crown here! I'm not saying that lightly as the facilities especially the Thermal Suite were second to none. Every single member of the staff that we dealt with on both visits were truly exceptional, very professional and many had something extra that is missing in a lot of our hotels these days, which is a genuine friendliness & crack (bit of fun). If you are thinking of a visit to Cork then I would highly recommend this family run hotel. If you are planning a holiday to Ireland then look no further for a hotel near Cork city than this, as I don't think you will get a truly more genuine welcome anywhere else! I will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Everyone's room on both of my stays were perfect!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been guest to Maryboroug Hotel on two occasions twice just before christmas, all I must say it was superb. I have never experianced breakfest like it heaven for your tongue, + spa and swimingpool FIRST CLASS can you imagine a little spin dryer for your swiming suite !!! they really pay attention to details...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Maryborough Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!