“Nice hotel, expensive corporate rate” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rochestown Road, Douglas, Cork, Ireland (Douglas)   |
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portarlington, Ireland
“Nice hotel, expensive corporate rate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Spent two separate weeks in this hotel on business trips. First room I was given was a tiny (think cell size) single room. I phoned reception to request a bigger room, receptionist informed me it would be €20 extra per night. I informed her I could have paid €5 extra per night when I booked and had a double with breakfast for two so could not understand why I should have to pay €20 extra per night. She said she would speak to the manager and phone me back. She then phoned back and moved me to a double room next door. The room was fine, still fairly small but lovely big shower in bathroom. I couldn't complain as I paid €65 per night through lidlbreaks while colleagues paid €90 for the corporate rate. I think the corporate rate is extremely expensive and my colleagues and I all booked through lidlbreaks and similar websites on our return while some opted to stay at other cheaper hotels in the area. Bear in mind we were staying mid week so €90 for a single b&b is, in my opinion, very expensive.
Bar food was nice and the bar busy every evening. Breakfast was lovely and staff very friendly and accommodating. I would stay again but would not pay the corporate rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear lollypops12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I want to assure you that we take all customers feedback on board and I have shared all of you comments with my team in particular my Revenue Manager so we can investigate if any changes can be made.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Head of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The bedrooms here are soooo nice. Very well kept and well decorated.

We stayed here on val night and had dinner. The dinner was the best we ever had! So well cooked!

However we where badly let down as we stayed in room 525. The carpet was soaking wet and every time we walked by the window in soaked our clothes. I did mention it go reception and all we got was a sorry. Sleeping in the room did flare up my asthma so it must very dusty and damp

• Stayed February 2014
Dear RobertaEthan1,

I am so so sorry that your stay was disrupted by the wet floor in your room and I can assure you this is a once off and will not occur again. I was delighted to read however that you still enjoyed your valentines night and I hope to see you back very soon.

Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed in the hotel last night 14 feb. Expecting the advertised 4 star luxury, While the staff were really polite and friendly, the lack of the lift to the 5th floor and peeling stairwell contributed nothing to the feeling of luxury. The bedroom was small, with the toilet roll hanging on a slant, a tear in the duvet cover and stains on the surrounds of the bed base. All in all a very poor representation of the advertised luxury.

We were very disappointed with the accommodation.

Anne furlong
Sent from my iPhone

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AnneCrosshaven,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. I was very disappointed to read your comments and see your feedback and I can assure you that we will be carrying out Hotel maintenance this year to those areas that you mentioned and I hope that if you do return to us again you can see the positive outcomes of your feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for two nights on the 30th and 31st of December 2013 as we were attending a wedding. Only fault with the hotel is that it is hard to find and you could easily drive by the main entrance. You would need a map to get around the inside of it too. We got a lovely room but there was some faults with it. We contacted reception and they were very helpful and friendly towards us. There were no other room available the first night but second night we were giving a second room. The front office manager Dawn is a true professional. Food is exceptional, so good that we ate there every day,bar food is of the highest quality. Food serviced at wedding was lovely but due to it being plated in front of us it was a bit cold. Breakfast was good with a nice selection of cereals, pastries, juices, fruit and food for a fry. Both rooms we were giving were very spacious with massive showers. We didn't get to us the leisure facilities but they looked really nice. Its only a short distance from the city center which in a taxi would take less than ten minutes. A really nice hotel with plenty of parking. Wifi is available all over the hotel which helps

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the new section of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear collyb89,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you thought so highly of out staff. I hope we can welcome you back for many more stays to come.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Second stay in this hotel. On both occasions we have found service, cleanliness, location and room to be good. Yes there are some areas where it's age shows and that it could be improved on but overall this is a pleasant hotel. Breakfast is of buffet style, nothing fancy with all the usual suspects but perfectly adequate. Excellent value on this visit due to a winter warmer deal which included an average set menu evening meal but the bottle of wine also included made this a bit easier to swallow. There is nothing major to put me off coming back here if the value remains good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear splodgeIreland,

Thank you for your kind words on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time her and to read that you will return again.

County Kerry, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

From check in to check out we had a fantastic stay . Staff were lovely , room was clean & spacious , dinner was fantastic. The pool was nice & warm only issue I would have was the changing room in leisure centre was cold but everything else made up for that .
Breakfast was again lovely & plenty available .
All in all a wonderful experience well done all in rochestown park. Will be back.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Wuzzie13,

I was delighted to read your review and delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope we can continue to welcome you back for many more stays to come.

Portstewart, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night only during December 2103. Bright & contemporary reception area. Room was clean, spacious & bed was very comfortable. Staff pleasant & friendly- will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear DmS8888,

Thank you for your kind and positive words which I have shared with all of my Team.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Head of Operations

Been to Rochestown Park Hotel? Share your experiences!