“Stay away from breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rochestown Road, Douglas, Cork, Ireland (Douglas)   |
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Stay away from breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We usually stay with friends but on this occasion they were away, so an overnight stay in a Cork hotel was supposed to be a rare treat for us...... But how wrong could one be!! The initial impression of the foyer was good, quick check in and pleasant staff, and in fact the room was ok for one night as long as you didn't want to spend too much time in it due to small size. Good shower I must admit. Where the hotel really let itself down was the dining room and the breakfast service, the cooked breakfast area was run by one extremely harassed young lady who was both having to serve up the food as well as cook what seemed to be mountains of fried eggs. The food when it came was cold, due to a 20 minute wait between being served and the arrival on the plate of poached eggs requested.Surely the good visitors could be trusted to help themselves?? Also we were aware of a lingering smell of stale fried food in the corridors around the bedroom. Not what we had expected from a quality rated hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony S, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Travellor60,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was very disappointed to read your review and see how your stay did not live up to your expectations. Please be assured that we take all customer feedback on board as it can only assist us in improving our service for our guests and I have passed all your comments on to my staff and management team to review and action.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in Rochestown park hotel in February and found our stay to be very enjoyable! The reception staff and room service staff were all very nice and helpful. On the Sunday morning we were greeted by friendly staff serving us breakfast. Our waitress Michelle was very helpful in serving us our breakfast as well as providing us with a few great places to see and visit before we hit the road to Dublin. She left a great lasting impression on our time in Rochestown. So much so I've now recommended Rochestown to friends who wish to visit Cork in the near future.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Davmccarty,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review and sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read your kind comments on the hotel and staff particularly Michelle and all of your feedback has been shared with the management and staff.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed for one night on a business trip and was in one of the new rooms. It was very comfortable, the food was great and the gym/pool was a great place to spend an hour after work. Although I haven't been in the old part - based on other reviews it seems sensible to ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel when booking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Duncan P,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back soon to the Rochestown Park Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked this place for new years thinking that it would be lovely for me and my bo. How wrong i was. The room was the worst i saw in , Well Ever , I was shocked to see the room i paid 200 Euro for. it was sooooooo dated. i know there was two weddings on there that night but that was it, not even a xmas cd for us that were not at the weddings. I was told that was the only room they had but when i put my foot down they all of a sudden had another room that was nice and somewhat worth the 200euro. Will never even look at going back here again .

Room Tip: very very old rooms and some revamped rooms ,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony S, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Helenwelly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read your feedback and see your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I can assure you this is not the level of service we wish to provide and I have shared your review with my team so further investigations can take place.

I do hope I can welcome you back soon so you can see for yourself the positive results of your feedback and give us here at the Rochestown Park hotel an opportunity to show you the high level of service we can provide.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week. We found the staff very helpful and no request was turned down. Close to Cork and great for site seeing in the south. Large car park easy to park. Reception was busy but very efficient. There where a lot of functions during our stay and this seemed to be the norm. Everybody seemed to be treated very well and all was smooth. The room was really good as they where busy we got a free upgrade to a deluxe room FOC :-). Big flat screen TV great bed, slept really well. Bath AND shower both the wife and I where happy with that. Housekeeping staff where great and let us have extra coffee etc every day. The restaurant was great, good choice and always good food. The only issue I had was the catch of the day. Every day was pollock. Really? In Ireland next to the sea pollock?? I did complain but it fell on deaf ears this time. All the other items we tried where excellent. We also made use of the Spa onsite. Swimming pool, hot tub, Sauna, steam room all where excellent and free. If you are staying in the south of Ireland this place has to be top of your list.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Will_UK_Paris_France,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor and sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read your kind comments on the hotel, staff and facilities and I can assure you I have shared all your feedback with my team especially the head chef in relation to your comments on the catch of the day.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Rochestown Park Hotel soon.

dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Some rooms need an upgrade with oldfashioned noisy radiators. Despite reporting it was not seen to. Had a very bad nights sleep due to noisy radiator.Would prefare a room in the new part of the hotel.

Room Tip: View the room before commiting to it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear DublinJoanf,

Thank you for taking the time to post your tripadvisor review. I was disappointed to read your feedback and I can assure you that this is not the level of service we like to provide to our guests and I have spoken with my team in regards to your comments on the noisy radiator and to make sure they are all checked and maintained.

I do hope to welcome you back soon so you yourself can experience the positive results of your feedback.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a return visitor to the hotel, our visit was just as lovely as the very first time. Dinner in Suttons was relaxed but delicious and the staff are a credit- No problem helping with whatever we needed for the baby and very approachable. our room was beautiful and immaculate- just what we needed. We've booked Rochestown for our daughter's christening party and are looking forward to a guaranteed great day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Anthony S, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Judith123123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and sharing your positive experience with others. I was delighted to read your kind feedback on the hotel and staff especially as you are a return guest with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your Family for your daughters christening and giving you all a special day to remember.

Operations Manager

Been to Rochestown Park Hotel? Share your experiences!