“Favorite pub in ALL ireland on my trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 451 Restaurants in Cork
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Irish, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Good value Food, drinks and IRISH MUSIC is what makes the South County Bar & café, Douglas a must when visiting Cork. Douglas village is a short taxi ride(3 miles) from Cork city and the South County is within walking distance of local hotels The Maryborogh House & Rochestown Park Hotel(both 10 mins walk). This award winning Irish pub has an old world feel, has a cosy snug and a wonderful outdoor area, 'The Guinness beer Garden'. IRISH MUSIC sessions throughout the year...Every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights aswell as a fun sing-along ballad session every Sunday at 6pm. This pub also boasts a large selection of Irish whiskies in the Whiskey corner and serves the tastiest Irish coffee around !!
Austin, Texas, United States
“Favorite pub in ALL ireland on my trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went into pubs almost every night I was in Ireland. I did a bit of pub crawling in the major cities I visited, including Dublin and Gallway. My 2 friends and I popped in for dinner, had a standard Cheesburger and Carlsberg and found they were going to have traditional irish music later in the evening. So we came back later around 9 pm and were greeted with a cadre of young talented musicians. Everyone we met in the bar was nice, and I felt it was a great place to meet local, hard working Irishman and women. Its a beautiful interior, a real departure from the crap I'm used to here in the states, and it made me a bit envious that I wouldn't be coming home to such a chill place here stateside. It was by far, my favorite pub experience in Ireland (I went around the entire country) next to the literary pub crawl I did in Dublin.

Highly recommend for an authentic, relaxed, funny, enjoyable time.

• Visited April 2013

Cork
“Real pub real atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a traditional style pub which serves good food and good crack and has a really good outdoor area.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“It's a pub, a real pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

In my travels around Douglas it was hard to find a pub. I came across this place that was deceptive from the outside . I have been to a lot of pubs but this is by far my favourite the staff the food all ooze excellence . I would highly recommend this pub .

Cork, Ireland
“Excellent Onion Rings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

It's your usual bar food; steaks, burgers, salads, pasta but homemade and the quality is excellent. Having recently moved to the area, it is now my local pub and even though I don't usually eat in bars (the TVs and smell usually out me off) I happily make an exception for this place. The staff are very accommodating and will always find you a table. I have eaten there twice and each time had the chicken burger. It is a very pleasant surprise to get a grilled butterflied chicken breast marinaded in a mildly spicy sauce in the burger. I was expecting a breaded “chicken” patty but this was the tastiest burger I have ever had.
Now, the onion rings. I have a weakness for onion rings and these do not disappoint. They are rings of fresh onion (funnily enough) breaded and fried. They are homemade and delicious! Finish that off with a homemade dessert and you’re ready to roll out the door.
The facilities are excellent, spotless toilets and a large and airy beer garden. Good food, reasonable prices and great staff; what more could you ask for?

Cork
“Excellent bar and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I have popped in to the South County a few times with my girlfriend and it's great food with great staff.
Im living local and def see it as the best food

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
tomandcolm, Owner at South County Bar and Cafe - Douglas, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thanks DH for the deadly review :). We're delighted that you enjoyed the food at the South County. As you live locally, why not drop by on a Sunday evening for our weekly ballad session. We just started our Summer Sunday BBQ in the beer garden where we serve a great 1/2 pound burger from 5.30-7pm - A great way to finish off your week-end...see you soon.
Tom O'Connor.