“Good location-dats it!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Shannon, Ireland
“Good location-dats it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a last minute night away.Rate was reasonable. We arrived at the hotel to the small crampted car park, no more than 15 spaces. Luckily a car was pulling out so I pulled in. We weren't even out of the car when a manager type came running out to tell me I can't park there in a very rude manner. No how are you nothing. I asked him why as a car had just pulled out. He informed me it was a disabled space and I have to pull out and maybe back in. This made no sense at all to me as the space was not big enough and backing in would make no difference. The manager then said to my boyfriend will u not back it in, this to me was a sexist remark. I reparked the car and went into the lobby area where my boyfriend was registering. The lady behind the desk was unpolite and rude. She was training a young girl in,this young girl was very polite unlike the other staff. As we had a visa debit card the lady insisted on taking the full amount for the stay at check in.On entering the room we were met by an awful smell of stale cigarette smoke. We were never asked for a preference of a smoking or non smoking room nor were we informed it was a smoking room. The room was a nice size and was clean. There was no hand towel in the bathroom and there was no mattress protector on the bed. All that was covering the bed was a sheet therefore the mattress was visible at the top of the bed. The location was ideal I must say, but I will not be back to this hotel. I am not fussy in any way and I understand how demanding working in a hotel is, but this place needs serious improving.

• Stayed February 2014
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear amarie712,

Welcome to Tripadvisor and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. Regarding parking; We are the only City Centre hotel providing complimentary parking. It is limited; there are 47 lined spaces on a first come basis. Alternative options are the local multi story car park which we have negotiated a discounted rate with for our guests. The multi story is a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Parking can be pre-booked here for as little as €3.50 for an overnight stay or there is the option of the street parking which is free from 6.30pm until 8.30am as well as all day Sunday and B/Hol Mondays. Outside of these times there is a charge of €2 for 2 hours and parking discs can be purchased from the hotel reception. We have 2 disabled parking spaces and these are reserved for guests with a disabled parking tag.

I am sorry that you found both a manager and the receptionist both rude, this is certainly not indicative of the standards that we regularly provide to our guests and I have addressed this with my team.
All of our rooms are made up with mattress protectors as well as a hand towel in the bathrooms, again please accept my apologies if this was not the case when you you stayed. thank you for your positive comments on our location, price and the rooms cleanliness.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future to the Maldron Hotel Cork.

mlally@maldronhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Mullingar, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

What a dump ,I have never stayed in a place like it in my life ,where to start from the weeds growing out of the window sill to the customers smoking weed out side the front door .My 11 year old son could not use the men's toilets as the male customers were drinking cans of beer in there. The room was filthy, walls and doors covered in paw marks , the shower didn't work and the bath water was cold .It does not end there ,in the lounge where you are supposed to sit and have a drink there's a couch that when to sit on it has no bottom ,lovely, and when I told the bar man about it he thought it was a laugh. We were charged 17e.50 cent for a bowl of soup and a toasted sandwich and a handful of frozen chips the soup looked and tasted like liquidized frog and to add to the insult it was cold. There is little or no car parking spaces we had to park out side on the road and were charged for it .At breakfast the next morning there was a bowl of scrambled eggs sitting under a light a congealed mess, rashers sitting in pool of grease, no pleasant face to guide you around or to offer help and to cap it all some of the customers thought it was fine and dandy to have breakfast in their PJS need I say more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear caroline c,

Welcome to Tripadvisor and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I appreciate all feedback as it helps us be better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. I have followed up on your feedback with my management team so that we may address the negative aspects you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that the standards you experienced are certainly not indicative of the standards we regularly provide to our guests. I do hope you give us another chance whereupon I am confident you will have a far different experience.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cork.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Arriving at the hotel I was lucky enough to grab a parking spot, although the spots are painted quite small so by the time I was going the two cars parked on either side made it almost impossible to get beck in the car. Lovely reception and a a friendly greeting. We were on the fifth floor, the room was not worth the 75 we paid for it. It was dark, cold and the windows had damp around them. The bathroom only had one towel in in(no hand towels or anything for a double room) and the guy was a bit dismissive on reception when I called down to get more. The location of the hotel is very handy, with a walk to the city centre less then 5 minutes away. If you could get this hotel at a cheaper price it might be worthwhile.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear ChailinDonn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team.

I am sorry that your room was not up to standard, we are in the process of refurbishing the hotel presently.

I am glad to note that you got one of the complimentary on site parking spots and that you received a friendly greeting when you arrived. As part of our environmental policy all of our rooms are set up with one set of towels in the bathroom (including hand towel) with spare sets placed in the wardrobe. I am sorry that the hand towel was missing from your bathroom and that you found the receptionist dismissive when you reported it to him. I have followed up with both the Front Office and Accommodation teams on this.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a hen night. Check in was not pleasant. The staff were unhelpful. The room had a double bed and two single beds it was hard to get to and very cramped. The shower didnt work!!!! We had dinner in the hotel. Staff serving were not just unfriendly but you could describe them as rude. Never had such a bad service. The night staff were so friendly. Alan was great and helped us out a few times. The breakfast was ok. Overall it is a good location for a hen/stay. Staff could have been a bit more friendly we weren't rude so there was no need for the treatment we received at times.

• Stayed February 2014
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Agnesos,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am sorry that you found some of the team unfriendly and would welcome some more details regarding your interactions with them. Please contact me on mlally@maldronhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here after Christmas as we were visiting friends in Cork. The hotel is within walking distance to the city centre which is a plus. There is very limited car parking, we arrived at 2pm and found the last parking space.
After check in we decided to leave our bags in the room and go explore the city. When we came back we decided to eat in the bar, food was ok, nothing great.
We went up to the room whihc was freezing, had to go down to reception and see if they could turn on the heating, they did but not much of an improvement. I later heard other guests complain about how cold the rooms were only to be told the heating was broke and they had no spare rooms.
The showers were not great, the pressure kept going and the water went from hot to cold every minute.
The breakfast was ok, most of the food looked overcooked and the orange juice was horrible.
The bonus was the location and the nice staff. The hotel needs to make some improvements, everything looks a bit cheap and dated.
I was happy to check out of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tcgw,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. We did have a major heating problem after Christmas which thankfully has since been rectified. Regarding parking; We are the only City Centre hotel providing complimentary parking. It is limited; there are 47 lined spaces on a first come basis. Alternative options are the local multi story car park which we have negotiated a discounted rate with for our guests. The multi story is a 3 minute walk from the hotel. Parking can be pre-booked here for as little as €3.50 for an overnight stay or there is the option of the street parking which is free from 6.30pm until 8.30am as well as all day Sunday and B/Hol Mondays. Outside of these times there is a charge of €2 for 2 hours and parking discs can be purchased from the hotel reception.

Thank you for your kind comments on the team. I hope that your experience on this occasion does not deter you from returning, if I can be of any assistance with any future bookings please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at the hotel in October, paying €110.00 for a 2-night break through the Supervalu hotel break sale, so at that price it was good value.
The proximity to the city centre was a plus, and the staff were pleasant enough. The breakfast was OK, though we didn't like the orange juice or over-sweet individual yoghurts.
I used the swimming pool and gym, which were fine.
The big negative however was that the bed smelled rather stale and no wonder: there was no mattress protector under the sheet! The lack of this essential item will prevent me staying at the Maldron again, unless there's a change of policy in the bed linen department .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fenella_Jane_2004,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you found your stay good value, had a chance to use our leisure club and found the team pleasant. As a policy we have mattress protectors on every bed in the hotel, I am sorry that there was not one present on your bed when you stayed.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future to the Maldron Hotel Cork City.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We spent three nights in the Maldron Cork recently and were very impressed with the level of care and courtesy from the staff. They were unfailingly good humoured and helpful. We would like to mention the exceptional work of Ellen in the bar. She couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome and well cared for. Hotel is near Cork centre and is within easy walking distance of shops, cinema etc.
We hope to return soon .

Room Tip: higher rooms are quieter