“Brilliant location, service could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

You added Maldron Hotel Cork to your Saves list
Maldron Hotel Cork
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   John Redmond Street | Shandon, Cork, Ireland (Shandon)   |
Ranked #19 of 22 hotels in Cork
“Brilliant location, service could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We thought that the hotel itself was beautiful, brilliant location as it was only a few minutes walk from the centre. The bar food was divine however took a good bit for us to get our food. When we got to our room, which was lovely and very clean we only had one set of towels between the two of us. When I asked reception for another set I received a very unimpressed response from the receptionist. I found him to not be happy with me asking for extra towels. Other than that I would definitely recommend this hotel and would more than likely return!

• Stayed November 2013
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Roisin L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our location brilliant and the bar food divine. I am sorry that you received a poor reception from the front desk and greatly appreciate you recommending us.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future to the Maldron Hotel Cork City.

758 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel was good value for money. Stayed just one night but found it very central. Enjoyed our brief trip to Cork and a visit to the English Market. Nice Room and breakfast was good . I asked for poached eggs and itnwas no trouble at all for the staff to get me just that.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear honbun,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, found your room nice and breakfast good. The English market is well worth a visit.

Minnesota City, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here to explore Cork city and discover its heritage. Was not too fond on one female receptionist as she was very cold towards us when checking in she may have been in a mad humor but still none the less not the nicest welcome to the hotel. The room was clean, bar staff very friendly especially young man with the mustache. Food was a little pricey compared to other eateries in the city. The hotel is extremely close to the city only a short 5-10 min walk also same distance to bus station. We went to foto wildlife park via bus for a small fee of 3 maybe 5 euro I believe. Overall a good stay for the location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear AmericanExpl0rers,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments on our location, the room and the bar team. I am sorry that you did not receive a warm welcome when you arrived and i have followed up with the front desk team.

New Ringgold PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Alan & Carol
Luckily we found a parking spot on arrival & didn't move car in 2 day stay cuz Maldron is just a short walk to River Lee, downtown Cork & bus Station. Room 115 (2nd floor in circular tower with pleasing high windows facing street) was spacious (two levels), clean, broadband internet, digital wallmounted TV, narrow but fairly comfortable bed, adequate clean bathroom (sink faucet could use maintenance, hard to adjust shower head) plenty of good towels. Relatively quiet at nite. Breakfast Early Bird dinner great/delicious, Bar had Murphy's & Beamish Stout on tap for me & Archer's Peach Schnaps w/Orange soda for spouse. Retorning from bus trip to Blarney near dark we walked from bus station across River Lee & torned right to pass along Heinekin Brewery (source of that great Stout) where we/I could look in low window @ production line of halves. We torned left & walked uphill expecting to come out somewhere near the Maldron but got slightly lost passing by a huge church & finally spotting the high circular tower of our room. A great tip to Cork @ a vey nice hotel

Dear Alan Ross P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments on our location, the room and the food. It sounds like you also did a tour of Shandon while you were here.

belfast uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at the Maldron for 3 nights for the Jazz weekend with a friend. Loved it -very friendly staff nice location only 10 mins into the city centre and the room was lovely..it was very quaint on the top floor, under the eaves really large ( double and single bed and loads of room and storage space) and with a big spacious and very clean bathroom. The only complaint is that the windows so not open much and being under the eaves meant it was really hot.. and this was at the end of Oct.. god knows what it would be like in July and this is in Ireland! The only other thing was the bar could have done with a bit of music.. Breakfast was fine. I like quirky places so maybe others that have complained are looking for something very formal and posh but I would definitely stayed there again if you like character its for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lisaBelfastUk,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your weekend. There is always a great buzz around the city for the Jazz weekend. Thank you for your kind comments on your room and the character of the hotel.

Tullamore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My partner & I stayed in the Maldron recently. We had a very pleasant stay,our room no 104 was large airy and very comfortable. The only complaint was outside our bedroom in the hall was a strong smell of air freshner or carpet cleaner which lingered for the time we were there. The breakfast was nice and Adrian the waiter was very pleasant and polite we will be back. Thank you

Room Tip: The maldron is central to all amenities room 104 is large and very comfortable
Dear Martina B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you and your partner had a very pleasant stay. Thank you for your kind comments on Adrian, he is a very valued member of the team.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on business. The room was spacious but out dated. It needed freshening up and more attention to detail. The towel rail and toilet roll holder were hanging off the wall and the ceiling was covered in cracks which had been painted over (or tired to!). The bed was very hard and consequently had very little sleep for 4 nights. There was no mattress topper and the sheets were poorly fitting revealing the mattress.

During the 4 nights we were there the room was never hovered and the coffee cups were left with coffee in them for 2 days before being rinsed (still had the lines inside).

We ate in the bar once and the restaurant once for evening meals. Both were delicious and the staff here were efficient and polite. Breakfast was however a disappointment. During the week it wasn't too bad, and one waiter in particular was polite. However on the Saturday when it was busier there was very little food available. When ever things were topped up they provided about 6 sausages which were gone again with 3 people, then it was left empty for ages again. Same with the croissants.

The reception staff weren't very polite and at checkout they only said thanks, no 'how was your stay?'

Overall couldn't wait to leave! wouldn't be keen to return in a hurry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Natalou2,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and can assure you that your experience is certainly not indicative of the standards that we regularly provide for our guests.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so that I may ascertain some more details regarding your stay. You can contact me on mlally@maldronhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

mlally@maldronhotels.com

Been to Maldron Hotel Cork? Share your experiences!