“Very Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

New Ringgold PA
“Very Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Alan & Carol
Luckily we found a parking spot on arrival & didn't move car in 2 day stay cuz Maldron is just a short walk to River Lee, downtown Cork & bus Station. Room 115 (2nd floor in circular tower with pleasing high windows facing street) was spacious (two levels), clean, broadband internet, digital wallmounted TV, narrow but fairly comfortable bed, adequate clean bathroom (sink faucet could use maintenance, hard to adjust shower head) plenty of good towels. Relatively quiet at nite. Breakfast Early Bird dinner great/delicious, Bar had Murphy's & Beamish Stout on tap for me & Archer's Peach Schnaps w/Orange soda for spouse. Retorning from bus trip to Blarney near dark we walked from bus station across River Lee & torned right to pass along Heinekin Brewery (source of that great Stout) where we/I could look in low window @ production line of halves. We torned left & walked uphill expecting to come out somewhere near the Maldron but got slightly lost passing by a huge church & finally spotting the high circular tower of our room. A great tip to Cork @ a vey nice hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Alan Ross P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind comments on our location, the room and the food. It sounds like you also did a tour of Shandon while you were here.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future to the Maldron Hotel Cork City.

mlally@maldronhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
belfast uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at the Maldron for 3 nights for the Jazz weekend with a friend. Loved it -very friendly staff nice location only 10 mins into the city centre and the room was lovely..it was very quaint on the top floor, under the eaves really large ( double and single bed and loads of room and storage space) and with a big spacious and very clean bathroom. The only complaint is that the windows so not open much and being under the eaves meant it was really hot.. and this was at the end of Oct.. god knows what it would be like in July and this is in Ireland! The only other thing was the bar could have done with a bit of music.. Breakfast was fine. I like quirky places so maybe others that have complained are looking for something very formal and posh but I would definitely stayed there again if you like character its for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lisaBelfastUk,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your weekend. There is always a great buzz around the city for the Jazz weekend. Thank you for your kind comments on your room and the character of the hotel.

Tullamore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My partner & I stayed in the Maldron recently. We had a very pleasant stay,our room no 104 was large airy and very comfortable. The only complaint was outside our bedroom in the hall was a strong smell of air freshner or carpet cleaner which lingered for the time we were there. The breakfast was nice and Adrian the waiter was very pleasant and polite we will be back. Thank you

Room Tip: The maldron is central to all amenities room 104 is large and very comfortable
Dear Martina B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you and your partner had a very pleasant stay. Thank you for your kind comments on Adrian, he is a very valued member of the team.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on business. The room was spacious but out dated. It needed freshening up and more attention to detail. The towel rail and toilet roll holder were hanging off the wall and the ceiling was covered in cracks which had been painted over (or tired to!). The bed was very hard and consequently had very little sleep for 4 nights. There was no mattress topper and the sheets were poorly fitting revealing the mattress.

During the 4 nights we were there the room was never hovered and the coffee cups were left with coffee in them for 2 days before being rinsed (still had the lines inside).

We ate in the bar once and the restaurant once for evening meals. Both were delicious and the staff here were efficient and polite. Breakfast was however a disappointment. During the week it wasn't too bad, and one waiter in particular was polite. However on the Saturday when it was busier there was very little food available. When ever things were topped up they provided about 6 sausages which were gone again with 3 people, then it was left empty for ages again. Same with the croissants.

The reception staff weren't very polite and at checkout they only said thanks, no 'how was your stay?'

Overall couldn't wait to leave! wouldn't be keen to return in a hurry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Natalou2,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and can assure you that your experience is certainly not indicative of the standards that we regularly provide for our guests.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so that I may ascertain some more details regarding your stay. You can contact me on mlally@maldronhotels.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We got a good deal for this hotel midweek so having read a few dodgy reviews decided to go ahead anyway, but I must say I should have trusted Trip Advisor and cancelled, on the positive side , we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful lady at reception and the man in the breakfast dining room is so friendly and up beat in the morning and couldn't be more helpful to people, but the rooms are tired and so dated and the beds are so hard with no mattress protectors on so if you move the sheet you get to see the badly stained mattress underneath which is not a pretty sight, our room was a good size but didn't get cleaned until after 4pm!!!!! the noise from some of the guests was dreadful during the night with slamming doors and roaring laughter that went on throughout the night, the bar is dull and dated and the tables are all marked and scratched my son had to get cloths to clean the spilled drink from ours , I thought a member of staff would have come over and cleaned it down properly but my son was handed a big lump of blue tissue to do it himself !!! there was no atmosphere at all in the bar not even music playing.breakfast was good although the selection is not huge but I must say it was tasty and filled us up til lunchtime, the croissants were particularly good and everything was plentiful,dont sit and wait for someone to take you order for tea or coffee, you get it yourself. we parked our car in the carpark 10 mins away which was 10eur per day as there is no room in the hotel carpark at all, we didn't mind that as it was on the website so we expected to do so. I would not recommend this hotel which is not any reflection on the lovely staff but on the management who need to update this tired hotel and put a bit of soul back into it, I have stayed in the Clarion cork and although it is a bit more expensive it is miles ahead of the Maldron in every way, I hope you find this helpful in you decision on staying in Cork City.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear dorothy21,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and I have followed up with my team on your feedback. Thank you for your kind comments on the team & breakfast quality. I do hope your experience on this occasion does not deter you from returning. If I can be of any assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend went to the maldron in cork on a mid -week break . After booking the hotel online ( the hotel looked amazing) , I came on trip advisor to read some review's, and to be honest I regret not cancelling our reservation ,as these review's were spot on.

We arrived at the hotel late, it looked like a nice hotel from reception. Receptionist was pleasant, had already checked us in , no delay there then. Headed for the lift, up to our designated floor, found our room easily enough. On approaching the room , (I may have been apprehensive about this room , as I had read a previous review not to take it , but at that time we had no reason not to as we had never stayed here before .) we arrived at the room and the room was OPEN, we entered and it was a twin , we had booked a double.

I went back to reception and without hesitation our room was changed. It was a lovely room with potential, although the tap dripped all night long , you could practically turn it right around, the curtains was coming of the curtain rail and the room was cold, as there was a tiny radiator in a big room.

We decided to do a bit of shopping, its perfect location to the city centre which is why we booked it. We did a bit of shopping and returned to the hotel to have a swim. The employees in the leisure centre was overall the nicest to us. The pool was a good size clean, although the changing rooms could have done with a tidy up. The Steam room , had clearly been missing tiles and had been replaced with different colour ones, and the Sauna was a joke the top bench was broken and had a sign on it "please do not sit on top bench".

I returned to the room to shower , water was Luke warm compared to that morning! We dressed and decided to eat in the bar as it was horrible night.

Entering the bar , was lovely , we took a seat. Nobody came near us for 10/15minutes. The manager arrived to take our order, we placed it, and were not waiting long. The food was delicious . The waitress cleared our table, that was it no communication , no was everything ok, no would ye like dessert. We did want dessert and as the waitress was clearing the table next to us I asked for the dessert menu, we got them but the waitress never returned to allow us to place our order. A few minutes later she was leaving. So I had to again place the order with the manager at the bar. As he left the tea and coffee cup down he was not polite towards us , felt like we should not have asked for the dessert .one of the desserts came out wrong, when I said it to the manager and he replied in a very rude manor yes you did that's what you asked me for. I said I didn't , so he changed it. We left the bar when we finished but no communication with us again from any staff member.

We were checking out the next day, it was the same receptionist who checked us in, all she said was thank you. No how was your stay etc etc

I loved cork city , I will return, but not to this hotel as I was very disappointed by the services and standards of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 123 door broken
Dear Roswind,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and I have followed up with my team on your feedback. I do hope your experience on this occasion does not deter you from returning. If I can be of any assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Well I turned up with a couple of my girlfriends, which was very easy to find considering I was travelling from one end of the country to the other.. Staff could not be more helpful . Which made our stay a good one which was right central to walking distance into the town. .. Was sad to leave and will be returning back real soon .

• Stayed October 2013
Mlally, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Cork, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear pinkie004,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I greatly appreciate all feedback as it helps us become better at what we do and all feedback is shared with the team. I am delighted that you and your lfriends enjoyed your stay and that you found our location central and the team helpful.

mlally@maldronhotels.com

Been to Maldron Hotel Cork? Share your experiences!