“Great Value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Cork
Carleton Place, ON
“Great Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The location is really good, not far from the bus or train station. The atmosphere is great and a bar right there. The staff are really friendly and the hostel is very clean. With the shower you need to keep pressing the button to keep the water flowing but I've seen this in other hostels as well. It helps to conserve water. I really liked this hostel and would return again. The 6 bed dorm is a little squishy but works.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Good location, not far from the train station and close to the bus pickup for the CitiLink. I was pleased with this hostel. My only complaint was that the shower temperature could not be adjusted or turned on. There was a button to push on the wall and only spurted water for a few moments. I had to keep pushing the button over and over to keep the water going and it was hot! I guess it was set up like those faucets in the sinks where it has an automatic shut off.
I read all the reviews before staying at this hostel and was hesitant by the negative ones, but took a chance and was glad I did. Except for the shower situation, I thought the hostel was a good deal. I had a room to myself the first night, which was great. It was a tiny room and if anyone else had checked in with bags I don't know how we would have fit. I would stay again most likely because it is a good value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
wat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

By reading all the reviews im shocked. This place is a HOSTEL..not a hotel.What are people expecting for 16 euro a night?? I think this place is great value and the location is excellent. We had a private room for 3 people and although the room was small,we didnt mind. People dont stay in hostels to stay in the room all day.its for sleeping.All the staff were very friendly and welcoming and i would definitely stay here again.

One thing i would say is maybe have better drink deals in the bar :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

If I'd be able to leave 0.5 stars, I would do that. I've never ever seen such an awful hostel in my life. I didn't manage to book a dorm but a private double bedroom as I usually do. There's not even space for storage luggage! I'm writing straight from the hostel, as I couldn't wait to share my thoughts about such a disgusting place. Service is very poor, we had to pay 10 euro for 2 cheap towels, wifi signal is very weak in the room and the hostel is in a very poor condition overall. Not quiet at all. I don't know how the breakfast could be, but you can imagine what my expectations are. Luckly I'm going to stay here only for 1 night. AVOID COMPLETELY and don't pay any attention to "excellent" or "good" reviews, they're definitely manipulated. No one would give this place more than 2 stars. And the price: 60 euro per night, not cheap at all (excluding towels fee)

• Stayed March 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Was checked in by drunkest man we've ever spoken to; this was the highlight of the hostel.

Room Tip: sure: don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is probably the closest of all hostels to the city centre and is located over a bar run by same owners.
Rooms: very cramped - however there are some larger rooms for which you will be charged a bit more.
Breakfast room was fine.
The bar is great craic all out - often used to drink here when I lived in the area. The suggestion that the place is full of ladies of the night is very suspicious as this is neither an area or bar known for this - think about it - its a hostel geared at people on low budgets so not much business for such folk.
There is no parking but there is car parking in several places nearby including the train station car park which is inexpensive but very busy.
Didn't have a problem with noise.

Handy place if you want to stay in town but don't want to spend much. Its also very friendly and the bar is good fun.

Room Tip: Get a bigger room if you don't like being cramped.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I am a USA Physician working and living in Cork now. I came here because I was told it was a safe clean place to stay. I told them when I checked in that I needed to stay two or more weeks as my flat got flooded out - they told me no problem, I could stay as long as I wanted. They gave me a good weekly rate. I drink VERY LITTLE alcohol, but I made the MISTAKE (I guess) that I took my own beer one day from the refrigerator downstairs to the bar. I thought nothing about it and no one said anything. The place usually has two or three girls inside that are OBVIOUS prostitutes, and I did tell a few of them that I wasn't interested. I NEVER caused any trouble, I did buy drinks several times while staying there for myself and friends on weekends when I wasn't working, so it's not like they didn't make any money off of me. One day, the "boss" came into my room and said "You have to get out right now, there have been complaints about you"! I asked him what in the world he was talking about and the coward refused to tell me anything else, he basically just said get out right now, I had to pack quickly and was basically thrown out to the sidewalk! The worst part, was that this scum bag, coward "boss" called other hostels and I couldn't find another hostel to stay in ANYWHERE in town!! I had to go stay in a B&B that cost me 5 times as much - luckily I could afford it! These people are the lowest scum of the earth and if they did this to a quiet physician who was mostly at work, God help anyone else! Don't stay there, even though the prices are good, the breakfast is not breakfast, just a bunch of bread and cereals thrown out on a table, the rooms are tiny, feel like prison cells and the ugly prostitutes that are in the bar every day are a real turn-off. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay there, you are better off sleeping on the sidewalk. Too noisy, no privacy, the "...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write such a review!

Been to Bru Bar and Hostel? Share your experiences!