“Great spa and mighty food” 4 of 5 stars

Imperial Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   76 South Mall, Cork, Ireland (Centre)   |
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“Great spa and mighty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I did not stay here but I visited the spa and restaurant.
Have been to the aveda spa at this hotel many times and have had dinner/drinks here too. The spa is spotless, relaxing, candle lit and such professional staff.
The dinner in the Pembroke restaurant was great value and tasty.
Drinks in the bar were served by attentive staff and clean surroundings.
The location is ideal for shopping and a great place to have a lunch time meet up with friends too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of Cork city. It is very elegant in its decoration and the room was a lovely size. Tea shop at the front of the hotel was bustling with visitors and locals and gave a pleasant atmosphere to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Cork is a very compact city, due to the constraints of the river, and is more European in ambience than any other city in the British Isles. The Imperial is in the city centre on the main Morrison's Island so is within 5 minutes walking distance of anywhere in the city centre. The traffic flows well but parking is very restricted so walking is the easiest way to get about. Transport is helped by the closeness of the airport to the city. The Imperial has all the attributes of a major chain hotel but retains a sense of friendly individuality and real Irish charm. The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful and the well-appointed rooms, which include ironing facilities and free wi-fi, are quiet, spacious and very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel & the location is brilliant. I'm going to get negatives out of the way first as overall I liked this hotel.

I stayed in an executive suite/room. ( photo attached ). Nothing overly fancy. It had a big comfy clean bed. Ample space. Toiletries provided. TV was a bit fuzzy. Shower was in a bath with a shower curtain. The room itself was clean & bright.

Breakfast was okay. Asked for a poached egg the first morning from a grumpy foreign long-haired waiter ( I hasten to add, the only member of staff I found to be this way ). My egg arrived 25 mins later as I was about to leave.
Usual breakfast, fruit salads, youghorts, pastries,self service toaster & cooked breakfast in Bain Marie's.

Restaurant looks lovely. Lunch was great. But dinner was rushed. ( restaurant was half empty/full) I Ordered my meal & wine. The waiter took my order & returned approximately 60secs with my chowder. I know they have a fish hatch but I would have liked a less hurried & more relaxing meal experience. My mains arrived before my soup bowl was cleared away.
That said, it was very tasty & they have just introduced a voucher system of 2 courses for €20 which is good value.

HOWEVER. Despite the above, I really liked this hotel.
The staff are lovely. Very helpful & there is a very relaxed air about the place. Having met the manager Joe, I can see he leads his team by example. Professional & personable in equal proportions.

The hotel itself is charming. Very olde world. Clean, bright & bustling. There is a busy French style bistro to the front. And the restaurant, to the side of the hotel serves a delicious lunch. I'd highly recommend the seafood chowder.
Again the staff were charming & ever so helpful.

The concierge was very polite & helpful, in organising a taxi for me when I was leaving.

The bar is beautiful with ample seating & a lively atmosphere.

This hotels location though is the clincher. It's right bang in the middle of the shopping & eating hub. Yet on a quiet enough street to be able to get plenty rest & relaxation.

I didn't get to visit the spa or thermal suite so I can't comment on this but it's a nice added extra for future stays.

To be fair, this is a 4* hotel & it does everything that's asked of it.
It's staff & location are what give this place an extra edge.
I definitely will be returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm just back home after my 2nd stay at the Imperial Hotel in Cork, and am equally pleased with it - especially as they had a great offer on and the stay was very reasonable. What really sells it for me is the location right in the heart of the city, and the very comfortable rooms. The bed linen is very good quality, as are the furnishings. Breakfast was great, though dinner was underwhelming - a fish pie for €16.50 which was just that; a small fish pie in a dish without salad or veg on the side. Could do better on that front! But otherwise it's a great place to stay. Now if they'd just charge guests a little less to use the spa/leisure facilities ....

Room Tip: Front rooms are fun as you can see the world go by, but definitely noisier than rooms at the back.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very disappointed with my stay here at the Imperial. I decided to go away with my 18 month old son as a nights stay. When we arrived at reception I asked where would was the car park, the receptionist informed me that it was a few blocks away. That was no problem, the receptionist was not very clear on duirections as to where it was and I was very confused as this was my first time staying in Cork. I asked her could I leave the car parked outside while I put my suit cases,travel cot, Buggy etc in the room and she rudely told me that if I left my car parked outside that it would be towed. This was my first incline that this was poor customer service. I was absolutely baffled how was i expected to carry all my suit cases, the travel cot and along with my 18th month old son. There was absolutely no help offered by the reception or the mention that she could get somebody to help me out. I was extremely distressed at this. It took me 20 minutes to find the car park, due to poor directions, I had to make 3 trips then from the car park back to the hotel room along with my 18 month old. when we for to the hotel room. I took my son down from my arms and he ran straight to a large window that had been left open and we were on the 3rd floor. This again shook me and these little mistakes made by the chamber ladies could have been very serious. I found my room extremely plain. I was very disappointed that the hotel had given us joining rooms with strangers and I could hear perfectly a group of men who were drinking and watching t.v until early hours of the morning so neither did I nor my son get any sleep.

Breakfast was standard, it was not pre cooked as I expected it to be. Just plain sausages and the makings of a full irish waiting in a bain marie for guests to help themselves. I ordered poached eggs and was waiting quiet a while for them, i was nearly finished my breakfast when they arrived.

Extremely disappointed at the stay here in Imperial and we will definitely not be returning again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I would like to sincerley apologise for our shortcomings during your stay here at the Imperial Hotel. I will contact you directly so that I can discuss your constructive feedback with you personally and highlight specifically your commenst to our team.

I look forward to speaking with you and again my sincere apologies.

regards

Joe Kennedy
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland and the Imperial Hotel was a highlight! The room was comfortable, clean, and cozy. The staff were so kind (even had a little birthday gift for me) and helpful. The spa was a huge highlight as was the food in the restaurant. We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!