“Great Place To Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Briarville B&B

Briarville B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Briarville B&B
You added Briarville B&B to your Saves list
South Douglas Road, Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #34 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Newry, Co Down
“Great Place To Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

In my travels I have stayed in hotels throughout the world, so I have an expectation about where I stay and what it should be like.

Recently I stay at the Briaville B&B when I am in the Cork area...over the past month I have been staying there from Monday to Friday most weeks.

The landlady Eleanor is a very friendly and helpfull person, and will definately do her best to make you welcome during your stay.

Briarville B&B is exeptional value....

Briarville B&B is very clean and tidy, in fact spotless is probably a better description.

As expected you will get a full irish breakfast for your breakfast as well as cereals etc as required.

Two of the rooms are en-suite. I normally stay in the smaller room, and this is also cosy, with your own TV, Coffee/Tea making facility as well as free wi-fi.

There is no bad points about this B&B....Price is good, location is good, Landlady is friendy & helpfull, place is clean, food is good...

It continues to meet my needs week after week while I am in Cork.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I wish travellers paid more attention to BAD ratings thrown in between GOOD ones. I made this same mistake a few weeks ago when I booked 9 nights in Briarville B&B, even though I had read some bad reviews on this accommodation and its owner. This trip to Cork was purely leisure; I was meeting up with relatives. I'm not Irish.

RESERVATION ISSUE:
I booked my room well in advance - via the telephone - and was told by the owner Eleanor the rate was 30€ per night or 60 € if my relative stayed with me overnight. I was asked which breakfast I would want: I chose the most basic one... toasts and some butter, black coffee. Full stop. When I called back to confirm my booking prior to my arrival, the rate had changed from 30€ to 35€/night; I was told I had misunderstood her the first time around. Eleanor claimed she was doing me a favour, an incredible rate for the type of accommodation she was offering. She suggested my relative stopped by her B&B to check it out. Which she did. At that point, a defensive Eleanor told my relative 'she didn't have to bother to check out her B&B, everything she had advertised on the telephone was true so why even come over?!' I was also told she doesn't accept bank card payments so I had to make sure to have plenty of cash with me to pay for my stay.

MY STAY IN BRIARVILLE B&B:
Eleanor turned out to be a very loud, opinionated, heartless and bossy host. I witnessed a terrible accident whilst staying there. The cleaner fainted whilst cleaning a room. My neighbour and I were called by a hysterical Eleanor to come upstairs (we were having breakfast downstairs) - because she didn't know what to do with her cleaning lady laying down lifeless on the floor. I was yelled at to call for help... I'm not irish, which telephone number to call????? My neighbour ended up being great help and was able to get the cleaner back on her feet (she was diabetic which caused her fainting - she was taken to hospital by ambulance). During the incident, all Eleanor did was run up and down the stairs, lose control, yell at her guests to DO SOMETHING. In an amazingly selfish and inhuman way, she then complained how she had no more cleaning lady now, she was going to have a heart attack from the shock etc... I didn't hear ONE kind word coming from her, only complaining about this inconvenience, No sadness nor warmth towards this poor cleaning lady. My neighbour and myself were speechless to see so much selfishness.

Another day, I was summoned in Eleanor's private quarters (I say summoned rather than invited!) which was a surprise in the first place. It turned out to be an invitation for gossiping. She wanted to find out what I thought of my neighbour!! Very personal questions. I felt completely violated, uncomfortable to be put in this surreal situation. Eleanor didn't get what she was hoping for.

On the last day as I was leaving, taxi waiting for me in front of the house, Eleanor turned to me and asked for more money for the 3 nights my relative stayed overnight with me. I refused: the initial rate had already changed from 30€ to 35€. My guest didn't even eat Eleanor's breakfast - I made sure to buy croissants for her from the nearby Tesco. We didn't want to make the owner angry or annoyed so we made sure to be totally trouble free and auto sufficient.

CLEANLINESS:
The room was small (single room with a beautiful spacious private bathroom OUTSIDE the room). I was very pleased with it. TV, kettle, sink, closet space. Great mattress.

However over the days, the hoovering wasn't done in my bedroom, the bathroom floor wasn't cleaned, towels weren't put back in the bathroom, I had to help myself to fresh ones as I knew where they were kept next to the water heater, I had to request for some hoovering to be done which made the owner quite angry.

One morning, my relative was told she had to make the bed herself since she was in my room whilst I was taking my shower. Eleanor was being very bossy around us. I was scolded when I locked my bathroom door during the day. For some reason, she wanted this door to stay unlocked .... with all my belongings in there?! I didn't comply which annoyed her greatly; she made sure to let me know about it.

One day I found the breakfast table to be in the same state as it had been left the previous morning. I used the same buttery knife I had used the day before, I had to grab a fresh napkin from another table because mine had been taken away but not replaced. Every morning I had to clean the crumbs from the table before I started my breakfast. The table didn't get cleaned from one morning to another, saucers only got replaced if they looked dirty! I was presented instant coffee in a fancy french press but this is only a detail. Bad instant coffee.

LOCATION:

Fantastic. 30 minute walk to Cork city centre; 15 minute walk to Douglas village; bus stop line 206 in front of the B&B. Available free space to park in front of the house for guests with a car.

SUMMARY:

Briarville B&B is a nice house in a great convenient location.

Unfortunately it doesn't make up for the appalling owner. I rarely come across such mean people, and to be honest I don't wish them success in life. I wish travellers paid more attention to negative reviews. I spoke to my taxi driver about it and he told me in 20 years as a taxi driver, he had never driven people to this B&B, didn't even know about it! He could give me 10 great names of B&B from the top of his head but this one wasn't one of them. Maybe a local taxi driver knows better?!

Room Tip: The single room is actually nicer because you get your own private large new bathroom down the hall...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed here one night. Eleanor was very nice! Clean rooms, good breakfast (with plenty of choice). It is not in the city center, but with a car it is 5min. And there is also a bus. Overall I think good value for money. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Very nice b&b, very clean rooms, food is excellent. Elleonor is great,I will surely recommend it to all my friends.Thank You Elleonor for everything. Ioana & family, Romania

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

very cozy b&b, clean comfortable rooms, and easy access to the city centre. Eleanore is really nice , would love to go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Delighted we chose to stay here - ticked all the boxes for what we needed.

The room was very clean and comfortable and it close to the city and a short walking distance to Douglas village.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here recently for one night on a work trip. It's a short drive to the Rochestown Park Hotel if you've business there. Nice B&B, great breakfast. Eleanor is very friendly and can't do enough for you. The Briar Rose Pub up the road is a great spot for dinner and very convenient.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Briarville B&B? Share your experiences!